Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,706 times

Advertisements

Only begotten. Greek monogenes. Means unique. Only one. Only begotten. Thats the literal translation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,011 times
Moses can not see God face to face. Nobody can see him face to face since when a human like us see him we will die. This translation is more correct than the other version. Maybe we have been fooled for too long.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,763,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxie99 View Post
Moses can not see God face to face. Nobody can see him face to face since when a human like us see him we will die. This translation is more correct than the other version. Maybe we have been fooled for too long.
You have revived a long dead thread. But it is interesting. And here is what Exodus 24 says about "seeing" God:
Quote:
Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel:
And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.
And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink.
Exodus 24:9-11

Quote:
The verb is the same in both passages, ראה. Whether it means physical sight (the usual meaning, but God is not physical) or something more metaphorical, I would expect it to mean the same thing in both places. So the 70 elders can ראה God but Moshe [Moses]can't? But Deut 34:10 strongly suggests that no one had a higher level of revelation than Moshe.
hebrew - What did the 70 elders see, if man can't see God and live? - Biblical Hermeneutics Stack Exchange

The website from which the quote above came is a question and answer site for professors, theologians, and those interested in exegetical analysis of biblical texts. The verse about "no one has seen God" is one of the more difficult to reconcile since the same verb is used to say Moses "couldn't" see God and yet the seventy elders of Israel "did" see God.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 PM

21,087 posts, read 29,363,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Honestly - I would toss that version in the trash. Given its translational biases, one could hardly call it Scripture - so don't feel bad that you're tossing what claims to be a "Bible" in the trash.

The translators are anonymous (never a good sign!) and it has ties to a strange group that was head by someone called Witness Lee. Personally, any translation that still uses the erroneous "Jehovah" rather than "Yahweh" or "YHWH" (when a translation choose to render the Divine Name) shows it's anitquated leanings.

Here is a fairly good review of the translation that highlights many of it's strange translational and doctrinal choices. I think you are right to question whether this translation is reliable.
Recovery Version

It appears to me to rank up there with the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses, in terms of its letting doctrinal views dictate strange, innacurate translations.
AMEN, I have thrown better and probably more expensive leather bound bibles in the trash..It is definitely an exhilarating moment!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 861 times
The Recovery Version of the Bible is a translation from the original texts in light of the current Christian truths. There are many translations of the Bible. The best use previous version as helps to determine the best translation. A quote from the Recovery Version's introduction:

The Recovery Version of the New Testament, follows the precedent set by the major authoritative English versions and taking these versions as reference, not only incorporates lessons learned from an examination of others' practices but also attempts to avoid biases and inaccurate judgement.

In answer to Saved33 question about Moses talking to an Angel (Acts 7:30, I assume), the footnote says, "Here and in vv.35 and 38 the Angel (Messenger) in the Old Testament was Christ the Lord, who is Jehovah, the Triune God (Exo. 3:2-16; Judg. 6:12-24; Zech. 2:6-11). This is proved by the Lord and God in the following verses.

However, I do accept that the quality a version has cannot rise above the spiritual level of it's translators. Since I am new here, I don't expect anyone to accept my qualifications. However, if you check with people that have a ministry of investigating Cults, like "Christian Research Institute", they have a post on the Witness Lee and the local churches, Are the Local Churches a Cult? - Christian Research Institute . You can read it and make your own judgement.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:34 PM

23,353 posts, read 10,647,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franny47 View Post
The recovery version of the New Testament is put out by Bibles For America.It was sent to me for free.I am currently reading Acts,and some of what I am reading doesn't seem accurate.It refers to Moses having met an angel,instead of having come face to face with God.

Has anyone else read this translation of The New Testament?.I also sent for the NKJV
LOL, You change a single word, and you have literally changed the entire meaning of a thing and I will give you an example of this.

The New International is the favorite and it couldn't be more wrong if it tried.

New International Version ~ THE WORST
He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough."

King James

The Parable of the Leaven

33Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
He used another illustration. "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman mixed into a large amount of flour until the yeast worked its way through all the dough."

Weymouth New Testament
Another parable He spoke to them. "The Kingdom of the Heavens," He said, "is like yeast which a woman takes and buries in a bushel of flour, for it to work there till the whole mass has risen."

If it does not say 3 measures of meal, the entire point is lost on the reader.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Faith View Post
Only begotten. Greek monogenes. Means unique. Only one. Only begotten. Thats the literal translation.
It means only begotten and caries the idea of unique in THAT way. The others like "only one" etc are efforts to avoid the literal meaning.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:57 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, You change a single word, and you have literally changed the entire meaning of a thing and I will give you an example of this.

The New International is the favorite and it couldn't be more wrong if it tried.

New International Version ~ THE WORST
He told them still another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed into about sixty pounds of flour until it worked all through the dough."

King James

The Parable of the Leaven

33Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
He used another illustration. "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman mixed into a large amount of flour until the yeast worked its way through all the dough."

Weymouth New Testament
Another parable He spoke to them. "The Kingdom of the Heavens," He said, "is like yeast which a woman takes and buries in a bushel of flour, for it to work there till the whole mass has risen."

If it does not say 3 measures of meal, the entire point is lost on the reader.
The Greek says 3 measures of flour. However in old English "meal" meant flour, not a complete "meal".

Old 06-02-2017, 08:25 PM

23,353 posts, read 10,647,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The Greek says 3 measures of flour. However in old English "meal" meant flour, not a complete "meal".

The point is that all 4 parables are the same speech and all the commentaries will put the 4 together because it was clearly meant to be as one speech as many parables are this way.

You have just read of the barley/flesh, the wheat/soul, and the spirit in the last harvest of God which is the fruit harvest and it is showing a person who moves through 3 levels, and the woman puts the secret in those 3 parables which are teaching of 3 harvest one goes through in a walk through the 3 main harvests of God,

You begin as sowing a seed in the barley of Passover, Passover is the barley harvest and the wheat harvest concludes the barley harvest. You die daily as sowing a seed that you may be born again in the wheat and you find yourself born again into a body that doesn't even belong to you. After Christ is formed in you as a new being, you are truly born again and the house you are building is caught up to God, as the work you continue to build.

From the barley and from the wheat, you step into the fruit harvest of medicine where after the barley and after the wheat, you are given a seed for the feast of Tabernacles for the grape harvest, for the oil harvest.

Revelation 6
6And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine

You see how this is directly related to the 4 parables, and where the 4th parable tells you that the secret is hidden in the 3 parables of the 3 measures?

That understanding these things are of the 3 main feasts of the barley sown, the wheat gathered, and the smallest of seed has built a person into a tree of the feast of Tabernacles?

A tree amongst the blades of grass.

A seed given after the barley, after the wheat.
20“Becauseyouhave so little faith.He answered.“FortrulyI tellyou,ifyou havefaiththe size ofa mustardseed,you can sayto thismountain,‘Movefrom hereto there,’andit will move.Nothingwill be impossiblefor you.”

A seed given after the barley, after the wheat
6And the Lord answered, “If you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

The third parable after the barley, after the wheat.
The Parable of the Mustard Seed
30Let both grow together until the harvest. At the proper time I will tell the harvesters, “First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat into my barn.”’” 31Jesus put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a man planted in his field. 32Although it is the smallest of all seeds, yet it grows into the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and nest in its branches.”…

There are fields and fields of barley, but not so with wheat, but do not hurt the oil and the wine.

He who is in the oil and the wine has come through the barley and then the wheat.

He was the sower, and he was the wheat gathered, but he was also a great tree that gave shade and all the creatures found shelter under his shade and sustenance, they built their nests in his branches, because he has become so much more than barley or wheat, he has become a shelter..

It is always showing a progressive step, and if you change one word, you change everything.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Honestly - I would toss that version in the trash. Given its translational biases, one could hardly call it Scripture - so don't feel bad that you're tossing what claims to be a "Bible" in the trash.

The translators are anonymous (never a good sign!) and it has ties to a strange group that was head by someone called Witness Lee. Personally, any translation that still uses the erroneous "Jehovah" rather than "Yahweh" or "YHWH" (when a translation choose to render the Divine Name) shows it's anitquated leanings.

Here is a fairly good review of the translation that highlights many of it's strange translational and doctrinal choices. I think you are right to question whether this translation is reliable.
[url=http://www.bible-researcher.com/recovery-version.html]Recovery Version[/url]

It appears to me to rank up there with the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses, in terms of its letting doctrinal views dictate strange, innacurate translations.

From the conclusion:"But on the whole, the Recovery Version is a reliable translation."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity