Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 AM

42 posts, read 181,407 times

Advertisements

The recovery version of the New Testament is put out by Bibles For America.It was sent to me for free.I am currently reading Acts,and some of what I am reading doesn't seem accurate.It refers to Moses having met an angel,instead of having come face to face with God.

Has anyone else read this translation of The New Testament?.I also sent for the NKJV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:58 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,389,089 times
Here is an online version of the Recovery Version. This version is from Living Stream Ministry. I have not read it.

The New Testament Recovery Version Online

Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages is a good site for comparing scripture with other better known versions of the Bible.

Compare yours with these others and see what the differences may be.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Honestly - I would toss that version in the trash. Given its translational biases, one could hardly call it Scripture - so don't feel bad that you're tossing what claims to be a "Bible" in the trash.

The translators are anonymous (never a good sign!) and it has ties to a strange group that was head by someone called Witness Lee. Personally, any translation that still uses the erroneous "Jehovah" rather than "Yahweh" or "YHWH" (when a translation choose to render the Divine Name) shows it's anitquated leanings.

Here is a fairly good review of the translation that highlights many of it's strange translational and doctrinal choices. I think you are right to question whether this translation is reliable.
Recovery Version

It appears to me to rank up there with the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses, in terms of its letting doctrinal views dictate strange, innacurate translations.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM

467 posts, read 467,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Honestly - I would toss that version in the trash. Given its translational biases, one could hardly call it Scripture - so don't feel bad that you're tossing what claims to be a "Bible" in the trash.

The translators are anonymous (never a good sign!) and it has ties to a strange group that was head by someone called Witness Lee. Personally, any translation that still uses the erroneous "Jehovah" rather than "Yahweh" or "YHWH" (when a translation choose to render the Divine Name) shows it's anitquated leanings.

Here is a fairly good review of the translation that highlights many of it's strange translational and doctrinal choices. I think you are right to question whether this translation is reliable.
Recovery Version

It appears to me to rank up there with the New World Translation of the Jehovah's Witnesses, in terms of its letting doctrinal views dictate strange, innacurate translations.
Recovery Version Bible: Publisher of Watchman Nee & Witness Lee
I found this..
THE WITNESS LEE MOVEMENT

A disciple of Watchman Nee, Witness Lee founded his assembly movement in Los Angeles some forty-five years ago. Since that time he and his followers have been setting up numerous gatherings throughout the country. Formerly, he was active in China and Taiwan.

A typical feature of all assembly-type movements is their subjection to the domination of their founders. An exception is the open Brethren; their individual assemblies are usually held in line by one or more local leaders. But within the history of assembly leadership, Witness Lee takes precedence in being the autocrat of them all, including Darby. And as for extreme teachings, he has outstripped his mentor.

The large and noisy ruling assembly [circa '70s] from which Lee governs all is titled "The Church in Los Angeles." He maintains that God is present only in the local assemblies--theirs, that is. All others are outside the will and blessing of God. He stresses that Christian "victory" is not gained by teaching, doctrine, or prayer, but by just four words of praise. The assemblies often repeat in unison, either spoken, sung, or shouted: "O Lord, Amen, Hallelujah!"

Lee's method of teaching and control is a definite form of brainwashing. All who join his assemblies are admonished to forget all the doctrine they ever knew, and submit to the ways and teachings of the Leeites. Some disgruntled open [Plymouth] Brethren have gone over to Lee, and because of a resemblance to the Children of God movement, many Jesus People have also joined the ranks.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:15 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
Recovery Version Bible: Publisher of Watchman Nee & Witness Lee
I found this..
THE WITNESS LEE MOVEMENT

A disciple of Watchman Nee, Witness Lee founded his assembly movement in Los Angeles some forty-five years ago. Since that time he and his followers have been setting up numerous gatherings throughout the country. Formerly, he was active in China and Taiwan.

A typical feature of all assembly-type movements is their subjection to the domination of their founders. An exception is the open Brethren; their individual assemblies are usually held in line by one or more local leaders. But within the history of assembly leadership, Witness Lee takes precedence in being the autocrat of them all, including Darby. And as for extreme teachings, he has outstripped his mentor.

The large and noisy ruling assembly [circa '70s] from which Lee governs all is titled "The Church in Los Angeles." He maintains that God is present only in the local assemblies--theirs, that is. All others are outside the will and blessing of God. He stresses that Christian "victory" is not gained by teaching, doctrine, or prayer, but by just four words of praise. The assemblies often repeat in unison, either spoken, sung, or shouted: "O Lord, Amen, Hallelujah!"

Lee's method of teaching and control is a definite form of brainwashing. All who join his assemblies are admonished to forget all the doctrine they ever knew, and submit to the ways and teachings of the Leeites. Some disgruntled open [Plymouth] Brethren have gone over to Lee, and because of a resemblance to the Children of God movement, many Jesus People have also joined the ranks.
Yep - definitely sounds about right! Another typical cult of charisma, with religious ritual propping it up. I wonder how long it will last, or if Lee has been "canonized" yet to ensure longevity heh heh!

I've always had a certain way of gauging a translation's worthiness: did I get it for free from someone at my door, or at an airport? Is it available at my local bookstore to purchase or order? If the answers to those questions were "yes, yes and no, no" - then reader beware!! Not a guaranteed rule, but I've found it works well in most instances.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:44 PM

467 posts, read 467,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Yep - definitely sounds about right! Another typical cult of charisma, with religious ritual propping it up. I wonder how long it will last, or if Lee has been "canonized" yet to ensure longevity heh heh!

I've always had a certain way of gauging a translation's worthiness: did I get it for free from someone at my door, or at an airport? Is it available at my local bookstore to purchase or order? If the answers to those questions were "yes, yes and no, no" - then reader beware!! Not a guaranteed rule, but I've found it works well in most instances.
MAY-BE franny47 is a member of "Watchman Nee"!
MAY-BE it is franny47s way of bringing up "Watchman Nee" as a topic!
I don't know.. I Just Don't Know!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 33,165 times
I am amazed that such comments come from Christians, without a proper investiagation, thorough reserach and consideration. The Recovery Version is an accurate version of the bible translated directly from the Greek and Hebrew. The footnotes and cross references are extensive and worthy of much consideration from all genuine seeking Christians. Please be like a Berean (Acts 17.11) and not a traditional Pharisee in your receiving God's word. The passage somebody refers to the Angel of the Lord is Exodus 3;2. This is the same title used in the King James and Darby version.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:39 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBreen View Post
I am amazed that such comments come from Christians, without a proper investiagation, thorough reserach and consideration. The Recovery Version is an accurate version of the bible translated directly from the Greek and Hebrew. The footnotes and cross references are extensive and worthy of much consideration from all genuine seeking Christians. Please be like a Berean (Acts 17.11) and not a traditional Pharisee in your receiving God's word. The passage somebody refers to the Angel of the Lord is Exodus 3;2. This is the same title used in the King James and Darby version.
Here come the Lee defenders out of the woodwork.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:45 PM

42 posts, read 181,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogknox View Post
MAY-BE franny47 is a member of "Watchman Nee"!
MAY-BE it is franny47s way of bringing up "Watchman Nee" as a topic!
I don't know.. I Just Don't Know!
I started this topic,because I recieved a copy of their new testament for free in the mail.I am a Catholic,although I am considering joining a protestant church.And for your info Dogknox,I am in no way afiliated with Watchman Nee!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
The Witness Lee Group is also known as the "Local Church", given their practice of regarding their gathering as the only true church in a municipality.

Watchman Nee was associated with Witness Lee at one time but they parted the ways a long time ago.

I was in a "New-Testament" gathering type of group for 16 years in Southern California and we gathered in a somewhat similar way to the way of Witness Lee's group but absent most of their practices. We had some of our own weird stuff going in what was called, both by us and outsiders, "the Assembly".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity