Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times

Advertisements

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies[/color], and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 NIV

If your sin is not in this list, Paul listed some more in 1Corinthians:

Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers [/color]will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. 1Corinthians 6:9-11 NIV

Then Jesus makes it clear when he says:

“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.John 3: 3, 6

It's been a minute since I been on this forum. But I am back. I was blessed by a minister at my church who preached a powerful sermon dealing with all of these verses. You could have heard a pin drop. But it was a sermon that was needed to be preached.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-25-2012 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Red is reserved for moderator actions. Any other color is okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
And you will commit each one of them unknowingly while you focus on them instead of the the things that are pure, lovely and of good report. Sounds like the minister was pointing you to the obvious acts of the flesh as Paul calls them instead of Christ.

It was a sermon that needed to be preached ?. Why Is all that kind of stuff going on in your congregation ?

That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ. Philemon 1:6

Our faith becomes effective by what our focus is acknowledging.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM

I am convinced that the main reason we sin is because we have condemned sin in another.

You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things

How important it is for us to see another how God see's them.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,390,058 times
Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"? (Proverbs 20:9)

If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. (1 John 1:18)

Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul. (1 Peter 2:11)

Last edited by saved33; 04-24-2012 at 05:56 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: []sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies[/color], and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 NIV

Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers [/color]will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. 1Corinthians 6:9-11 NIV

“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.John 3: 3, 6

It's been a minute since I been on this forum. But I am back. I was blessed by a minister at my church who preached a powerful sermon dealing with all of these verses. You could have heard a pin drop. But it was a sermon that was needed to be preached.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Ephesians 5:5

For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Here it implies individuals will be in the Kingdom but not have any inheritance. Possibly Galatians 5 could be read "shall not inherit in the Kingdom of God." <I don't know Greek so I'll have to leave it there.

Do we inherit eternal life or do we enter into it consider it was freely given, unmerited favor (Romans 4,5)?

John 10

1Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.

2But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

9I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.

Enter - Strong's G1525 - eiserchomai
1) to go out or come in: to enter
a) of men or animals, as into a house or a city
b) of Satan taking possession of the body of a person
c) of things: as food, that enters into the eater's mouth
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

Inherit - Strong's G2816 - klēronomeō
1) to receive a lot, receive by lot
a) esp. to receive a part of an inheritance, receive as an inheritance, obtain by right of inheritance
b) to be an heir, to inherit
2) to receive the portion assigned to one, receive an allotted portion, receive as one's own or as a possession
3) to become partaker of, to obtain
Blue Letter Bible - Lexicon

In the old testament, inheritance could be lost. Evidently it can be lost in the New Testament as well.

Is eternal life dependent upon our ability or is it freely given unmerited favor (Romans 4,5). Using the whole Council of God, I have come to the conclusion that we enter into eternal life as a free gift of God by believing his promises in His faithfulness, but receive inheritance due to our faithfulness.

If eternal life was dependent upon our ability to "receive it", than we'd have something to boast about right? (Ephesians 2:8-10) Pride is a stench in God's nostrils. << Common theme throughout the whole Bible. Therefore it is by unmerited Grace. We never can earn it, and can never deserve it. No believer has any room to look down upon another believer because they are struggling in their walk, but as we are all in the same boat soteriologically we reach down to encourage the weaker brother or sister to press on in the faith.

Working to "get" to heaven often leads to a hardened heart and focus on self. God wants us to freely Love one another focusing on others. He does indeed hate all the fleshly sins and we will be rewarded for faithfulness. He already "got" us to Heaven by trusting on whom God has sent (John 3). Salvation is an act of God not man.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-25-2012 at 06:13 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
To the OP: That sounds like a good sermon. Much was based on the word of God. I just hope your pastor also taught that faith saves, not works and that this salvation is a gift of God through faith alone in Jesus Christ.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM

9,895 posts, read 1,272,579 times
Quote:
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: [sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies[/color], and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 NIV

“Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. [

Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. John 3: 3, 6

Sounds like a great sermon, and one we all need to hear now and again as a reminder.

Moderator cut: delete

Katie

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-28-2012 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: bait. this thread is not about Universalism :(

Old 04-24-2012, 12:33 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies[/color], and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians 5:19-20 NIV

Your correct. The great news is that with Christ in us that anyone that has Christ will overcome these sins. Jesus didn't sin and He was measured against those same things. If we have Christ we will also do as He does just as He said we would. Beware of those that tell you otherwise.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-25-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Sounds like a great sermon, and one we all need to hear now and again as a reminder.

Moderator cut: delete

Katie
Katie do you honestly need to be reminded that sexual immorality,idolatry, witchcraft and the rest of the list , are acts of the flesh ? Or is it the rest of them/us that do ?.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-28-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:

Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. John 3: 3, 6

Now you have to define each and every one of those sins. Otherwise how will we know?

Last edited by june 7th; 04-25-2012 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity