Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:19 PM

908 posts, read 1,118,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a time for everything, even war.

Ecclesiastes 3:8 a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.
Oy. That doesn't mean we're supposed to engage in it. Nobody said war would never exist - even Jesus use the metaphor of the sword that he 'brought to the Earth'. The point is we who claim to be "believers" should not be engaging in conflict at all ('turn the other cheek'). He makes plain we should be apart from the worldly matters and practice His Commands and God's Commandments. This is simple stuff, people. If The Teacher said, "there is a time for celibacy and a time that lustful nature will take over the world" would you then use that as justification to lust? "The Teacher says there will be lust in the world - so I should be a part of it! The Teacher says war will exist in the world - so I should be apart of it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How are they out of context?...They say what they say....
Oh geez. I would encourage you to purchase a scholarly work on the interpretation of various Biblical genres. Taking historical books, poetry, and metaphor literally when they shouldn't be is dangerous - especially when you ignore the true literal words of Jesus and the 10 commandments.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Those passages are not taken out of context. But since you claim that they are, then back up your accusation with an explanation of how they are!
Numbers is a historical book. That's like someone taking an American history book that has a passage about John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln and using it to justify their belief they should be allowed to assassinate a present president.

Ecclesiastes is explained in a previous comment.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:59 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Numbers is a historical book. That's like someone taking an American history book that has a passage about John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln and using it to justify their belief they should be allowed to assassinate a present president.

Ecclesiastes is explained in a previous comment.
God ordered the destruction of Israel's enemies. To attempt to compare that with an assassination committed by a criminal is an absurd comparison.

You need to understand that the believer has a duty to uphold the principles of divine establishment which God set up for the entire human race. God established the divine institutions of volition (freedom), marriage, family, and nationalism, all of which can be found in the early chapters of Genesis. The divine institutions under the principles of divine establishment are for both believer and unbeliever. Under the principles of divine establishment the believer has a duty to his country. Duties such as paying taxes, serving on juries, and defending his country in times of war. Futhermore, the believer has a dual citizenship - Heaven and the country in which he lives. Jesus said that there would be wars and rumors of war until He returns. And it is through military victory that freedom is won and maintained.

Again, it was Jesus Christ who issued the orders to destroy Israel's enemies.

As for Ecclesiastes, the fact that there is a time for war and a time for peace is a fact of life.

Your Conscientious objections on the basis of religion or morality to the believer engaging in war in defense of his country are in fact contrary to the word of God and are evil. Not to mention, traitorous.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
God ordered the destruction of Israel's enemies. To attempt to compare that with an assassination committed by a criminal is an absurd comparison.

You need to understand that the believer has a duty to uphold the principles of divine establishment which God set up for the entire human race. God established the divine institutions of volition (freedom), marriage, family, and nationalism, all of which can be found in the early chapters of Genesis. The divine institutions under the principles of divine establishment are for both believer and unbeliever. Under the principles of divine establishment the believer has a duty to his country. Duties such as paying taxes, serving on juries, and defending his country in times of war. Futhermore, the believer has a dual citizenship - Heaven and the country in which he lives. Jesus said that there would be wars and rumors of war until He returns. And it is through military victory that freedom is won and maintained.

Again, it was Jesus Christ who issued the orders to destroy Israel's enemies.

As for Ecclesiastes, the fact that there is a time for war and a time for peace is a fact of life.

Your Conscientious objections on the basis of religion or morality to the believer engaging in war in defense of his country are in fact contrary to the word of God and are evil. Not to mention, traitorous.

I would advise you to revise your whole last comment - especially that last paragraph. Declaring that someone is evil and "traitorous" for upholding the Command of God is truly incredible. While you pronounce your position on some mis-appropriated historical passages and rhetoric. Quite strange and a bit scary. You also completely avoided my last comment like the plague. Interesting.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
I would advise you to revise your whole last comment - especially that last paragraph. Declaring that someone is evil and "traitorous" for upholding the Command of God is truly incredible. While you pronounce your position on some mis-appropriated historical passages and rhetoric. Quite strange and a bit scary. You also completely avoided my last comment like the plague. Interesting.
You are not upholding the command of God. As is the case with so many, you do not rightly divide the word of truth. Neither do you understand it. And I tell you again that your attitude, although out of ignorance of divine principles, is both traitorous and evil.

I have already told you about the laws of divine establishment and the believers responsibility with regard to them and you have no idea what I am talking about.

Here then is a quick study on the subject:

Divine Institutions and Establishment

Excerpt from the above site:

Divine institutions are the most basic practices or customs (institutions) that God (divine) set up for the human race (believer and unbeliever) in order to protect them, preserve them, and allow them to enjoy blessings on earth. The four divine institutions are volition or liberty (Genesis 2.16-17; John 7.17); marriage (Genesis 2.18-25; Col 3.18-19); family—the basic social group (Genesis 4.1-2; Ephesians 6.1-4); and nationalism—the larger unit with a cohesive and distinct culture (Genesis 10.32-11.9; Acts 17.26-27).

Here is another:

Bible Doctrine Resource » Doctrine of Divine Institutions

Excerpt from the above site:

D. NATIONALISM: Genesis 10, 11. Nationalism is the means of protecting and
preserving the human race, so that no segment of individuals gets enough power to
destroy the rest of the human race, and eventually themselves.
1. Nationalism is a human barrier against the supremacy of evil in the world controlled
by Satan, and protects from the power lust of the old sin nature.
2. The purpose of nationalism is to provide protection so that the individual volition
can operate under maximum freedom and liberty.

Every believer in the Lord Jesus Christ has a responsibility to uphold the laws of divine establishment and the divine institutions. To fail to do so is to disregard the protection that God has provided for the entire human race, believer and unbeliever alike.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
LOL. You've got to be kidding me. You believe the Founding Fathers, who were largely Deists and non-practicing Christians, were all about lifting up the Christian religion above everything else? You claim this IN SPITE of what you present - namely, that persecution brought the first colonists to this country - they were being persecuted by mainstream Christianity and Catholicism! It's silly how people can twist things. You've contradicted yourself 2 times now.
Wow...When I was in school...They were christians...Now, 30 some years later, they are Deists...I do not see where a contradiction is...Why don't you point it out?...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Oy. That doesn't mean we're supposed to engage in it. Nobody said war would never exist - even Jesus use the metaphor of the sword that he 'brought to the Earth'. The point is we who claim to be "believers" should not be engaging in conflict at all ('turn the other cheek'). He makes plain we should be apart from the worldly matters and practice His Commands and God's Commandments. This is simple stuff, people. If The Teacher said, "there is a time for celibacy and a time that lustful nature will take over the world" would you then use that as justification to lust? "The Teacher says there will be lust in the world - so I should be a part of it! The Teacher says war will exist in the world - so I should be apart of it!"
Turn the other cheek is a metaphor for an insult...A slap in the face was verbal insult, not a physical one...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Oh geez. I would encourage you to purchase a scholarly work on the interpretation of various Biblical genres. Taking historical books, poetry, and metaphor literally when they shouldn't be is dangerous - especially when you ignore the true literal words of Jesus and the 10 commandments.
And here we go folks...We have another person on here that thinks he has all the answers and he is here to set us straight....

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:

It says there is time for peace and time for war. It is rather simple. Jesus told his diciples to take their swords, and if they didn't have one, to sell their cloaks and buy one. He did not say it so they could defend Him, but rather so they can defend themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity