Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 05:27 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,377,214 times

Advertisements

Whether we have a Bible or not, fear not! God is able to save to the uttermost! Jesus came to save the world!!!

Thank you, Jesus (Adam 2)!

Blessings,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Come on, where is that errant New Testament verse?
Still no answers..... And no one answered my question either....

Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,344,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Chicken and egg . Which came first ?.

Where did David get the idea that God was a Shepherd to Him, and that by dwelling upon the ways of God He would become like a tree planted by streams of water that prospered in all that he did ? I can guarantee you that was a heart thing not a bible thing.

Where did the desire to build a place for God to dwell in come from ?, how did he learn that his son Solomon would be the one to build the temple ? .
Which bible did David learn about building a temple, Finn ?.

Your daft question proves one thing........... You do not believe Jesus' word that the OT scriptures do not contain Life, that you cannot think with the mind that God gave to you,and all who cannot read can never receive your version of eternal life unless they have someone they can depend on to read the scriptures to them.

As for me I believe in Life not a book, and in doing so the Life I believe in becomes me.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,205,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Still no answers..... And no one answered my question either....
Don't know if this fits the problem or not. But what about I Timothy 11-12?

"let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over man, but to be in silence."

Is this just in the Temple, or does it also mean that there shouldn't be any women in charge of schools, businesses, corporations, etc.?

Can they teach in colleges? Or it's OK if they only teach other females?

Can they hire and fire men even when they actually own the business? Or for that matter, are women allow to own a business? Or even their own bodies? Are women the property of the men? For use as the men see fit?

I think that Timothy also has something to say about the way women should wear their hair. It can't be "broided." Is that the same thing as plaited? If so, does that mean that the little girl in pigtails is sinning?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
Don't know if this fits the problem or not. But what about I Timothy 11-12?

"let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over man, but to be in silence."

Is this just in the Temple, or does it also mean that there shouldn't be any women in charge of schools, businesses, corporations, etc.?

Can they teach in colleges? Or it's OK if they only teach other females?

Can they hire and fire men even when they actually own the business? Or for that matter, are women allow to own a business? Or even their own bodies? Are women the property of the men? For use as the men see fit?

I think that Timothy also has something to say about the way women should wear their hair. It can't be "broided." Is that the same thing as plaited? If so, does that mean that the little girl in pigtails is sinning?
I understand it is is about women teaching men about spiritual things (should not be allowed). The verse is not "in error", although many might disagree with what is says.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,646,423 times
The Bible is the "Word of God" as signified by Jesus Christ all throughout his ministry. He authenticates is, and if you don't believe in him you got some big problems because as it is written the Wrath of God abides on these.

As the Scriptures say, this fate is easily escapable by accepting Jesus sacrifice for your sins. It is a free gift (Ephesians 2:8-10). It is undeserved, unmerited, and we can never do anything to earn it (Romans 4,5). We just have to accept it.

Isaiah 53

King James Version (KJV)

53 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the Lord revealed?

2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.

3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.

12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

John 5:39

King James Version (KJV)

39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

John 14:6

King James Version (KJV)

6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I understand it is is about women teaching men about spiritual things (should not be allowed). The verse is not "in error", although many might disagree with what is says.
Oh, you mean then, that it is alright to pick and choose what we want to hold the Word of God to. If we think Timothy was "in error" then we can disregard his teachings?

Please let know how these verses are only about Spiritual things. And is this saying that Men know more about Spiritual Things than women do? Are Children not to pay attention when Mother tries to teach them about God, but only when Daddy does?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Oh, you mean then, that it is alright to pick and choose what we want to hold the Word of God to. If we think Timothy was "in error" then we can disregard his teachings?
No, I specifically said it is NOT in error. I do not believe any of the Bible is in error. You might disagree with some teachings, but that does not mean they are in error.

Quote:
Please let know how these verses are only about Spiritual things. And is this saying that Men know more about Spiritual Things than women do? Are Children not to pay attention when Mother tries to teach them about God, but only when Daddy does?
The whole chapter is about "Instructions on Worship". It is ok for women to teach children at home. The chapter explains why men are put ahead of women in this matter: For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.

If you want to discuss 1 Tim 2 in more detail, you can open a new thread, It is a good topic, and I am sure many would like to weigh in on it.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:57 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,646,423 times
Quote:

The modern Laodicean church does not like Authority. God has ordained a chain of command - God > Christ > Man > Woman. The issue is rank not value. The man will be held responsible for his role as the head. The man is to have the final authority on choices.

This is God's law not mans.

1 Timothy 2:12-14

King James Version (KJV)

12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

So sure woman can teach about God, but it's the man's responsibility what she is teaching is correct.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:00 AM

It was good to refresh my memories by reading Timothy.

Especially ITimothy 5:23. "Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities." I have a doctor's appointment in a day or two. He's always after me to drink more water. I'll just give him the scripture reference.

We sometimes forget that the stranger to the Bible does not always understand the historical or social conditions of that day. He or she takes it as it is written. After all, we have been told over and over that the bible contains only truth and it is as valid today as it was then.

And So, Contrary to what doctors and others tell us, we don't need to drink more water. According to the Scriptures, less is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity