Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 03:24 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,996,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This type of accusation or the reference to Bible-believers with derogatory terms, like 'Biblean's' .... is typically made by those who don't like what the Bible says and are looking for justification to ignore it and do what they want instead!

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's chosen vehicle for revealing His standards, holiness and righteousness to mankind. Since God is not the author of confusion (yet, is the author of the Bible), teachings and doctrines that contradict the Bible ... are in error.

How else is one to know about God, Christ, heaven, hell and other things revealed in the Bible ... without the Bible? .... And, how else is one to recognize whether their opinions, feelings and attitudes are consistent with God's Word .... without God's Word?

Jesus said: "The Word that I have spoken will judge you on the last day" ... Heb. 4:12 also tells us that "The Word of God ... will judge us on the last day" --- There are many, many additional teachings that give us a Godly frame-of-reference for scripture.

There are parts of the Bible that I may not completely understand (or even like), but, the problem, or lack thereof, is in me, not God or His Word. I'll stick with my 'Bible idol' any day ... over the false idols of this world!
AMEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:

How else is one to know about God, Christ, heaven, hell and other things revealed in the Bible ... without the Bible? .... And, how else is one to recognize whether their opinions, feelings and attitudes are consistent with God's Word .... without God's Word?
For the kingdom of God is not about heaven and hell, but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

If you really believed in the scriptures you would understand this.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,118 times
Quote:

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's chosen vehicle for revealing His standards, holiness and righteousness to mankind. Since God is not the author of confusion (yet, is the author of the Bible), teachings and doctrines that contradict the Bible ... are in error.
That's exactly what the Muslims say about the Koran. Yet even though the Koran may say that, you know the Koran isn't the inspired Word of God.

And how do you know the Bible is the inspired Word of God? Because the Bible says so??? That logic doesn't help the Koran, and it likewise won't help the Bible.

My point is, you can not simply accept that a complete book is the divine word of God, if your evidence comes completely from that book.

As the Koran proves, even books that are not the inspired Word of God, will claim to be the inspired word of God.

Verses in the Bible don't prove the Bible is the inspired word of God, anymore than verses in the Koran prove the Koran is the inspired Word of God.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:32 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's chosen vehicle for revealing His standards, holiness and righteousness .
Actually we are that chosen vehicle. Christ revealing himself in us, to us and to the world. Know ye not you are the vehicle of Christ ?. That is the question we should be asking ourselves,instead of is the bible inerrant from cover to cover ?.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 8,940 times
These four chapters are quite possibly the most famous in the whole book of Exodus because it is here that God demonstrates his mighty power by sending 10 plagues to Egypt in order to get the Pharaoh to let His people go. Most theologians seem to agree that the 10 plagues God sent weren’t merely chosen at random or as only an invasive inconvenience for the Egyptians. Rather, the 10 plagues were chosen by God to destroy the main idols iOur bible is important friends , but we must be listening to Jesus which is more important , not trying to master the text ! Jesus will guide us to each passage we need if we be his sheep .
1 year ago
Listen to Jesus he will tell you what bible scripture to read friends , dont try to be masters , dont be clever and try to impress people.
He tells me everyday what to do and what to read .

Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
That would be the type of response one would expect from someone who treats the bible as an idol. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to try to fight off your power of reason, your intuition, or even your holy spirit. Because you see the bible as divine, you have to assume it's literally true, and there must some important moral to that story.

But if you didn't treat the bible as an idol. you could accept that the people back in that day had a different understanding of morality, and maybe some of what they thought was right got confused with what they believed God told them to do. It's a simple, logical explanation that is only held back by what I consider your worship of the bible.
Oh please, get off that idol stuff. You do not know my heart. Agree or not agree which is all I expect of anyone but to say I worship idols is to set yourself up as God who only knows the depths of the heart.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:47 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,207 times
Quote:
This type of accusation or the reference to Bible-believers with derogatory terms, like 'Biblean's' .... is typically made by those who don't like what the Bible says and are looking for justification to ignore it and do what they want instead!

Jesus said: "The Word that I have spoken will judge you on the last day" ... Heb. 4:12 also tells us that "The Word of God ... will judge us on the last day" --- There are many, many additional teachings that give us a Godly frame-of-reference for scripture.

There are parts of the Bible that I may not completely understand (or even like), but, the problem, or lack thereof, is in me, not God or His Word. I'll stick with my 'Bible idol' any day ... over the false idols of this world!
Amen brother!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Yes, indeed, and the the believers duty is to teach the word of God, using the vehicle given to us, the Holy Bible.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

" Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."

If Christians idolize the Bible, then according to that logic the others idolize their own heart.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:05 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,512,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Oh please, get off that idol stuff. You do not know my heart. Agree or not agree which is all I expect of anyone but to say I worship idols is to set yourself up as God who only knows the depths of the heart.
Well since it was the topic of the thread, I try to work around to it in my post.

It's kind of hard to post in a thread titled "is the bible your idol", if you have to "get off that idol stuff."

Old 05-14-2012, 07:03 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,860,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
For the kingdom of God is not about heaven and hell, but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

If you really believed in the scriptures you would understand this.
Sorry PC, but, you are the one who really doesn't understand or believe the scriptures .... as evidenced by your continuous efforts to 'feel your way through' on the basis of "what seems right in the eyes of man ...."

I appreciate your efforts to focus on our "God is love" and His righteousness, peace, holiness, joy ... and the Holy Spirit. Yet, you seem to ignore everything else that scripture says, in your efforts to 'prove' that nothing else has any meaning --- even though it all comes out of the same Bible (?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity