Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 01:34 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21: 20-21)

In nearly every battle in Joshua, they killed the men, kept the women as sex slaves (concubines) and put the children into slavery.

It wasn't nearly the happy picture you promote, and you should know that all of the above should have been forbidden.
Besides, the verse from Exodus Finn quotes is amongst other verse dealing with HEBREW servants, NOT captured slaves from other nations. There were different rules for the Hebrew indentured servant compared to the slaves gained from war and plunder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:42 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I answered the question about the Bible forbidding forced slavery by quoting the verses to you, so the answer to the original question "yes, it is written in the Bible". Also the NT goes to no end to instruct how to treat your neighbor, and all of it speaks against forced slavery.

The question was answered, and the continued discussion about slavery in general is off topic.

Anyone who kidnaps another and either sells him or still has him when he is caught must be put to death - Exodus 21:16

1 Tim 1:8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—
So why did Moses and God command taking of slaves as the spoils of war?

People who don't view the bible as an idol have an easy answer for that.

But what is your answer?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Eusebius ... God does not mislead us because we are led by the Spirit.

When we are spiritually minded and walk in the Spirit the doctrine of eternal torment is laughable.

Yes the scriptures point us to and testifies of Jesus Christ. I get tired of reminding folk on here that I highly esteem the scriptures,but I highly esteem more the one they testify of . Since I have not believed the bible is inerrant, the scriptures mean more to than ever, I see them in a total different Light, have a deeper understanding of them, without strenuously having to study them. A day does not go by when I do not read them or dwell upon them.

The only possible reason the bible grips folk the way it does and they trust it over Christ in them, is because they have failed the test that Paul told us to test ourselves with......Do you not know Jesus Christ lives in you ?,the answer yes because the bible says so,is the wrong answer, the correct answer is "yes" period.
Which verse is errant? Maybe the verse that says to check yourselves is errant? How can we know which one is errant?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:47 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
So why did Moses and God command taking of slaves as the spoils of war?

People who don't view the bible as an idol have an easy answer for that.

But what is your answer?
The answer to the original question is "yes, it is written in the Bible, not only in your heart".

If you want to open a thread about the Bible and slavery, feel free to do so.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-14-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,112 times
Quote:
That likely only pertained to Hebrew slaves.

Please explain how the benevolent system of slavery you describe is consistent with these versus of the bible:

Hmmm, that doesn't sound as nice as you made it seem. It looks like they took slaves as the spoils of war.

This is how Moses got slaves. Kill all the men, take the rest for yourself. Is that the great system you were referring to?

How about this:

I could go one, but you get the point.

Face it, unless the bible is your idol, you have to assume that it got the issue of slavery wrong.
What you do not understand is that the command to go to war was not by the council of men but God who knew that a premptive strike would stop them from destroying Israel. The men in this case were the threat, not the women or children. It was case by case that God gave orders to kill all or to spare some. Only God has such wisdom to know what to do even if it fly in the face of what we might think to do. We can not play God or the results would be more appalling then what they did or you can imagine.

Just look at the terrorist who in the name of Allah [aka Satan] wants to rule the world with man a made Theocracy of sharia law. You may say Christianity did the same thing but Christianity means to be Christ like, not kill the infidels just because they do not agree. War in the name of Christ to win souls is false and not of God. There is no reason to go to war for the Gospel sake. War should be only for self defence which would include that if you know the enemy is planning to destroy you than stike first othrwise one is a fool to let it happen

Do bad we didn't have a Prophet to tell us to make a preemptive strike and kill all of the terrorist that have so murdered so many. But no one would obey today because there is so much animosity against God's judgments. That has been proven. So God leaves it to us to muddle though these problems.

You do realize the terrorist have schools to train children to hate and Kill Jews and Christians and others. It their intent to force a man made Theocracy upon the World. Where do you think that the Antichrist will come from and of what religion do you think he is of? Radical Islam of coarse. You will in time see Islamic nations confederate and come against Israel in mass because God established Israel and anything God does, Satan and his followers will try to overthrow. Even now and in time past they have shown there intent. It will not change but only escalate. There is a spiritual battle going on and the hearts of men are being tryed so as to make there choice.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:13 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,191,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

If you had no bible and never heard an evangelist, and never heard about God, you would not and could not be saved.

So all of those people that don't have a bible, a TV or radio; all of those that can't read, are doomed?

That says a lot for God's Love for all Mankind.

I am not so proud that I would dare say what God would or would not do for such people.

God can do as He pleases. He doesn't have to do what you think He should do.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:18 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
What you do not understand is that the command to go to war was not by the council of men but God who knew that a premtive strike would stop them from destroying Israel. The men in this case were the threat, not the women or children. It was case by case that God gave orders to kill all or to spare some. Only God has such wisdom to know what to do even if it fly in the face of what we might think to do. We can not play God or the results would be more appalling then what they did or you can imagine.
That would be the type of response one would expect from someone who treats the bible as an idol. You have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to try to fight off your power of reason, your intuition, or even your holy spirit. Because you see the bible as divine, you have to assume it's literally true, and there must some important moral to that story.

But if you didn't treat the bible as an idol. you could accept that the people back in that day had a different understanding of morality, and maybe some of what they thought was right got confused with what they believed God told them to do. It's a simple, logical explanation that is only held back by what I consider your worship of the bible.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Which verse is errant? Maybe the verse that says to check yourselves is errant? How can we know which one is errant?
The question is rather silly Eusebius. You cannot prove it to be inerrant. True Christanity is about Christ in you, not a bible in your hand.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Default Who/What are you going to listen to ... man or God?

Quote:
Why is it when a believer quotes the bible he is accused of worshipping the Bible?

I had that told to me today. I just don't understand such accusations.

I mean, if we are talking about the Bible, why would I quote Car and Driver magazine?

Scientists who try to prove black holes, are they accused of worshipping black holes by talking about them?
This type of accusation or the reference to Bible-believers with derogatory terms, like 'Biblean's' .... is typically made by those who don't like what the Bible says and are looking for justification to ignore it and do what they want instead!

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. It is God's chosen vehicle for revealing His standards, holiness and righteousness to mankind. Since God is not the author of confusion (yet, is the author of the Bible), teachings and doctrines that contradict the Bible ... are in error.

How else is one to know about God, Christ, heaven, hell and other things revealed in the Bible ... without the Bible? .... And, how else is one to recognize whether their opinions, feelings and attitudes are consistent with God's Word .... without God's Word?

Jesus said: "The Word that I have spoken will judge you on the last day" ... Heb. 4:12 also tells us that "The Word of God ... will judge us on the last day" --- There are many, many additional teachings that give us a Godly frame-of-reference for scripture.

There are parts of the Bible that I may not completely understand (or even like), but, the problem, or lack thereof, is in me, not God or His Word. I'll stick with my 'Bible idol' any day ... over the false idols of this world!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:22 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
So all of those people that don't have a bible, a TV or radio; all of those that can't read, are doomed?

That says a lot for God's Love for all Mankind.

I am not so proud that I would dare say what God would or would not do for such people.

God can do as He pleases. He doesn't have to do what you think He should do.

God is not trying to save all mankind during this eon/age. Just those who are going to be in the body of Christ are being saved. Later all Israel will be saved. Some will be saved during the millennial reign.

At the end of the ages the rest of mankind will enter into salvation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity