Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:39 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Originally Posted by Dogknox

ALSO..you go to the trouble posting Proverbs 23:7 but do not post the actual verse... WHY..????
Why not post it at the same time.. Save me the time to look it up!!!

7 for he is the kind of person
who is always thinking about the cost.
“Eat and drink,” he says to you,
but his heart is not with you.

Take the same verse, and marvel at the two different translations. One so poetic, one so prosaic (meant in the true sense of the term). One written in a modern sense of an ancient thought, the other written in Elizabethan English, a language currently spoken on by those who rely upon the KJV.

Interesting how one is quite understandable and the other is so stern and incomprehensible.
I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying. Regardless of that it does not change the reality of the truth,that as a an thinks in his heart so is he. The way we see ourselves is out pictured in our individual lives. Guard your heart for it is the wellspring that creates our lot in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I fully understand and appreciate what you are saying. Regardless of that it does not change the reality of the truth,that as a an thinks in his heart so is he. The way we see ourselves is out pictured in our individual lives. Guard your heart for it is the wellspring that creates our lot in life.
OK and I completely agree with your conclusion. What I marvel at is entirely different nuances based upon translation. Yes I recognize that KJV is the definition of modern English, profound, inspirational, but I also recognize that KJV totally missed the point of a lot of the beauty of the OT in particular based as it was in the medieval theology of the Roman Church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity