Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 09:18 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
“A proper understanding of creation, especially an understanding set forth by a thinker such as Thomas Aquinas, helps us to see that there is no conflict between evolutionary biology or any of the natural sciences and a fundamental understanding that all that ‘is’, is caused by God,” Professor William E. Carroll of Oxford University’s theology faculty told CNA Aug. 22.

“Evolutionary biology is that area of science which helps us to understand better the origin and development of human beings, but whatever those arguments are in evolutionary biology they, in principle, do not conflict with the fundamental understanding that all that ‘is’ is created by God,” Carroll said.

And from Wikipedia:

“The Phenomenon of Man (Le phénomène humain, 1955) is a book written by the French philosopher, paleontologist and Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. In this work, Teilhard describes evolution as a process that leads to increasing complexity, culminating in the unification of consciousness.”

If I recall, Chardin once said that “Evolution is just how God made things make themselves.” [I hope I got that right].
Of course theist will make this argument, but its not supported by any evidence. Why would a God go to such a length as to invoke an evolutionary process when all could simply be spoken into existence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:56 AM

802 posts, read 454,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Of course theist will make this argument, but its not supported by any evidence. Why would a God go to such a length as to invoke an evolutionary process when all could simply be spoken into existence?
RESPONSE:

>> Why would a God go to such a length as to invoke an evolutionary process when all could simply be spoken into existence?<<

Actually, ievolution is supported by quite a bit of evidence, both on the genetic and molecular levels.

Why are complex plants and animals always preceded by less complex ones?

Maybe God just like evolutionary science, ya think?

"Paleontology or palaeontology (/ˌpeɪlɪɒnˈtɒlədʒi/, /ˌpeɪlɪənˈtɒlədʒi/ or /ˌpælɪɒnˈtɒlədʒi/, /ˌpælɪənˈtɒlədʒi/) is the scientific study of life existent prior to, but sometimes including, the start of the Holocene Epoch. It includes the study of fossils to determine organisms' evolution and interactions with each other and their environments (their paleoecology). Paleontological observations have been documented as far back as the 5th century BC. The science became established in the 18th century as a result of Georges Cuvier's work on comparative anatomy, and developed rapidly in the 19th century. The term itself originates from Greek παλαιός, palaios, i.e. "old, ancient", ὄν, on (gen. ontos), i.e. "being, creature" and λόγος, logos, i.e. "speech, thought, study"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleontology

Last edited by Aristotle's Child; 11-15-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 10:01 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,430,082 times
Sorry, there is no evidence of any of the gods having a hand in anything.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:34 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_a49 View Post
Sorry, there is no evidence of any of the gods having a hand in anything.
And there is no evidence of any gods.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileo2 View Post
“A proper understanding of creation, especially an understanding set forth by a thinker such as Thomas Aquinas, helps us to see that there is no conflict between evolutionary biology or any of the natural sciences and a fundamental understanding that all that ‘is’, is caused by God,” Professor William E. Carroll of Oxford University’s theology faculty told CNA Aug. 22.

“Evolutionary biology is that area of science which helps us to understand better the origin and development of human beings, but whatever those arguments are in evolutionary biology they, in principle, do not conflict with the fundamental understanding that all that ‘is’ is created by God,” Carroll said.

And from Wikipedia:

“The Phenomenon of Man (Le phénomène humain, 1955) is a book written by the French philosopher, paleontologist and Jesuit priest Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. In this work, Teilhard describes evolution as a process that leads to increasing complexity, culminating in the unification of consciousness.”

If I recall, Chardin once said that “Evolution is just how God made things make themselves.” [I hope I got that right].
Looking for a proper understanding of creation from the view point of Thomas Aquinas, or Chardin, or Oxford's resident "tool" Carol is obstinance in the face of scriptural reality. "Evolutionary biology" presupposes that God "made things make themselves" over the course of a great age(s)...contrary to what God actually says:

"I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass." Isaiah 48:3 KJV

Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
The plain fact is that they are going to be exposed to evolutionary perceptions. It is up to you to thoroughly indoctrinate them that all the evidence FOR it was deliberately placed there by God as a joke to test your faith. If you actually examine the evidence and think, you will fall and be condemned to Hell for eternity. Good joke, huh?

Old 11-16-2014, 04:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Lock the kid up, cover the windows and disconnect the TV, radio and computer and do not spare the rod.

Seriously, we will need to learn the "alternate" views that are contrary to ours if we are to be taken seriously by others.

Avoiding a teaching does a great dis-service to ourselves, and even worse to our children.

Old 11-16-2014, 05:07 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,653,635 times
The purpose of education, is to allow the student to examine all sides of an issue before reaching a conclusion. Feeding your personal propaganda into your child's head isn't educating your child, it is teaching your child to wear blinders.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:25 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,924,893 times
There's no reason to stop them from being taught evolution. All you have to do at home is to show them why evolution is just plain silly. If you can't do that, then its time for you to do some studying. Get some good books on evolution and the falicies in it written by Christians and that should do the trick.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisTime2010 View Post
Home School, or group home school (these are groups of homeschools who meet at churches for a type of school setting). I realize this is a old post but information is relevant today for people wanting to get away from public schools who can't afford Christian Schools

Dude...the thread is 7 years old. I'm pretty sure the OP figured out the issue by now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity