Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,260,240 times

Advertisements

As a christian, there are some parts of the bible that are hard to understand. Are there any pastors, preachers, or any other individuals that may be able to explain to me luke 14:26.

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father, mother, wife, children, brothers and sisters, as well as his own life, he can't be my disciple."

Is it me, or does it sound strange especially when one of the 10 commandments says to love and respect your parents. If anyone has a valid explanation of why this is acceptable, please explain and elaborate. Unless I am missing something, it just doesn't make sense.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:41 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,446,284 times
Our love for Christ should be so strong that our love for our parrents, siblings, the world should seem as hatred.

So, yes you are to love and respect your parrents, now try to make you love for Christ make this love appear as hatred!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,757,129 times
Are we supposed to hate or not? Bible contradiction

Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,564,627 times
I have always understood that the word "hate" in Luke 14.26 means to "love less" , as the link arguy posted says.
It is actually a paralel scripture to Matthew 10.37 " He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me."

Old 08-29-2008, 12:05 PM

See this is the debate of taking what the bible says as either literally or figuratively. If one takes it literally, "hate means hate".

Old 08-29-2008, 12:16 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,439,792 times
I believe Jesus was trying to get the crowd to think through their enthusiasm for Him. He encouraged those who were superficial either to go deeper or to turn back. Following Christ means total submission to Him.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:23 PM

537 posts, read 1,324,830 times
I think this correlates to this discussion. When we are born again, it is into a new family.

Mat 12:46¶While he yet talked to the people, behold, [his] mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
Mat 12:47

Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

Mat 12:48

But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

Mat 12:49

And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

Mat 12:50

For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I believe Jesus was trying to get the crowd to think through their enthusiasm for Him. He encouraged those who were superficial either to go deeper or to turn back. Following Christ means total submission to Him.

This is when interpretation begins to get foggy. "I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA" SAID, "I believe Jesus was trying to get the crowd to think though their enthusiasm for him". However, that is what you or another may believe. Just as their are different parts of scripture that one person will interpret what it says one way while another person will interpret another way.

I remember once during bible study a pastor saying "The bible is to be taken literally." Well if it is, then it is plain and simple if your view is that the bible should be taken literally, then when Jesus said to hate your mother and father etc., means that.

Don't misunderstand me now, because I believe anyone striving to live a christ like life is a person that will not only inspire others but be a GREAT example to others to live by. However, that particular passage is a little bothersome to me as it is written. This, coming from a self-proclaimed Christian who at the same time uses common sense and rationalizes many info.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:08 PM

23,027 posts, read 34,439,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
This is when interpretation begins to get foggy. "I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA" SAID, "I believe Jesus was trying to get the crowd to think though their enthusiasm for him". However, that is what you or another may believe. Just as their are different parts of scripture that one person will interpret what it says one way while another person will interpret another way.

I remember once during bible study a pastor saying "The bible is to be taken literally." Well if it is, then it is plain and simple if your view is that the bible should be taken literally, then when Jesus said to hate your mother and father etc., means that.

Don't misunderstand me now, because I believe anyone striving to live a christ like life is a person that will not only inspire others but be a GREAT example to others to live by. However, that particular passage is a little bothersome to me as it is written. This, coming from a self-proclaimed Christian who at the same time uses common sense and rationalizes many info.
So what do YOU believe about the verse?
Jesus knew these people did not have the vaguest idea of what His kingdom was about. This is the reason He used such harsh words. Jesus did not mean we should hate our parents or children.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,564,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post

This ,and all the other arguements, is what the scriptures are trying to prevent, when we are told to "rightly divide the word".
To try to explain the KJV by the definitions of words in an ordinary dictionary, is not "rightly dividlng the word".
It does not take a rocket scientist to know that Jesus did not tell anyone to literally hate their parents! We are to not even hate our enemy, so why would He literally mean we are to hate our parents ?!
My Greek lexicon says that the word 'hate' in that passage means to regard with less affection, love less, esteem less.
Anyone who is knowledgeable in the word of God can see that this is the meaning of Luke 14.26.
I believe those who are trying to make Jesus say something else are just wanting to argue about the word of God.
I highlighted the important words in your last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity