Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,505,717 times

Advertisements

The Bible and Homosexuality | Catholic Answers

I heard a lot of it Sunday night when it was rebroadcast on Catholic EWTN radio and it was very good. He also posted answers to questions on his web site. You can read them.

If people and businesses are going to be shut down because they follow the bible precepts than religion and people have to start speaking up. In Canada I think he said they are wanting to pass a law to put people in prison for hate speech if they are against gays and speak up against it. Getting really nuts.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
you should reconsider your positions. where is the love? where is the free-will? people are not your property you can boss around with your "sexual righteousness" ... end this lustful search for theocratic power.

Was it consensual sex or rape that yhwh punished the cities for?
Was it homosexuality or shellfish that yhwh found abominable?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:07 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
you should reconsider your positions. where is the love? where is the free-will? people are not your property you can boss around with your "sexual righteousness" ... end this lustful search for theocratic power.

It was both. You see, two men living together in Sodom had prepared a dinner of forbidden shellfish Yakov ben Ytzhak thought that the shrimp should be butterflied, while his partner, Sam, thought they should be served with the shells partway on and perhaps papyrus frills extending the edge of the tails and they just could NOT agree on this to the point where it just became a kitchen *****-slapping. Their voices raising ever more shrilly finally reached Heaven and God said, ENOUGH! and then KA-Boom.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It was both. You see, two men living together in Sodom had prepared a dinner of forbidden shellfish Yakov ben Ytzhak thought that the shrimp should be butterflied, while his partner, Sam, thought they should be served with the shells partway on and perhaps papyrus frills extending the edge of the tails and they just could NOT agree on this to the point where it just became a kitchen *****-slapping. Their voices raising ever more shrilly finally reached Heaven and God said, ENOUGH! and then KA-Boom.
Wow, you're nuts...I like you! lol

I think those of you who think homosexuals judge christians too much need to take a step back. Are they really making your lives as hard as you (or other christians) have made theirs? Probably not. Ever been disowned by their parents or friends or church for your beliefs or instincts? Many of them (if not most) have. When they seem to go to far as far as wanting certain ,rights" which I agree theyve come pretty close to doing before, just remember what theyve had to deal with.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 AM

81 posts, read 94,783 times
Default Church does not mean christianity

I have just posted this on another thread relating to Gay marriages. Not stoking the fire here but may be helpful to someone...

This is a dangerous area to be messing about with by any Christian church. Spiritually speaking it goes beyond the equality and diversity issues now prominent in many secular organisations and fully supported by human rights law. A church that engages in sodomite acceptance will eventually succumb to the consequences. Women was made for man because God saw that it was not right for man to be alone (and thank God for women). God did not make man for man, and any practices revolving around this area are an abomination to him. Well that's what the Holy Bible teaches us and he's the boss.

However, if you remember back to the days when you first became a believer, you will know that not everything in your flesh was extinguished. You still had opportunities for fornication, adultery, theft, criticism, discrimination and such like. It was up to you to overcome these things with God's help and put them to death, and most likely like myself with the help of believing and experienced Christians. For me, it was not a walk in the park but took about nine months of solid ministry because I was so messed up, but eventually I came through.

Now I am older and hopefully a little wiser, and definitely more compassionate, and I know that new believers come to Jesus as they are. He knows all about them and the errors they are making, and sets too the process of changing them into his likeness which may take a lifetime. That's the good side. The bad side is when experienced and upright Christian believers start to deny their fundamental beliefs simply to maintain acceptance in the world, and start going down the road of liberal thinking and actions. Jesus said that he came not to bring peace but fire (revolution if you like).

The Gospel is not supposed to be a fluffy environment we all live in doing what we want. It is as much to do with discipline as anything else, without which Jesus would never have made it to the cross, and the rest of us would be eternally lost. But Revelations is clear that God will judge the deceivers, false teaches, fornicators, adulterers and those deliberately caught up in homosexual practices. Their end is not a pretty sight, and the Church of God has a duty of care to warn us all of such things, and to discipline and even separate ourselves from such practices. This does not mean to say that we must become self-righteous judges and executioners, but must still maintain compassion, love, prayer and patience towards all fellow brothers and sisters, whatever their personal situation.

To be frank, and from my spiritual experiences, I think the Lord is more concerned about our reaction and dilution of his word than about individuals involved in homosexual practices. It distracts from the real work of God and pushes us into irrelevant time consuming conversations and debates, when we should all be focused on Jesus; and as Jesus stated to Peter after his resurrection concerning John and whether he would see death, basically for Peter to mind his own business and concentrate on his walk with the Lord and look after his precious new Church.

Therefore in finality, any Christian church leader following this doctrine will be made accountable, have no doubts on that score, likewise you will be made accountable for eyeing up that married women across the office, or being unreasonable with someone when you were forgiven for the very same thing or went out to score at a night club after drinking too much. Let the dead bury the dead and let those who follow the false prophet fall into the same ditch. Walk away from this argument and focus on your personal walk with Jesus. Don't get distracted, aim for holiness and purity, and trust the Lord in all things. Remember that he is in control of all things both in this world and the next, and do not go 'Gay Hunting' under the banner of Christianity. It doesn't belong there and Jesus would not approve.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,136,209 times
So, heterosexuals are not supposed to have sex with who ever they want or commit adultery if they are believers, but homosexuals get a free pass and can do as they please...Get outta here. Sin is sin and they need to repent as well and walk the correct path if they claim to be true followers of Christ too and stop trying to shove there lifestyles down peoples throat for acceptance. Pointing out where there lifestyle is unacceptable to God with scripture from OT & NT is not judging, it is genuine love and care for them, so they can inherit eternal life too.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
So, heterosexuals are not supposed to have sex with who ever they want or commit adultery if they are believers, but homosexuals get a free pass and can do as they please
I don't think anybody said this.

[quote=SAAN;25313299...Get outta here. Sin is sin and they need to repent as well and walk the correct path if they claim to be true followers of Christ too and stop trying to shove there lifestyles down peoples throat for acceptance. Pointing out where there lifestyle is unacceptable to God with scripture from OT & NT is not judging, it is genuine love and care for them, so they can inherit eternal life too.[/quote]

Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 AM

81 posts, read 94,783 times
Default Valid Point Maybe?

Unfortunately it's one of those statements which an element of truth. In my UK Christian community, the problem of where one draws the line is always difficult in scriptural terms. So no offence taken just a little puzzled where it came from.

On a different tack, a number of years ago I worked for defence (equivalent to DoD). A film had been produced showing three nations invited to fire a missile at a half submerged hulk. (Brit, American and French).

The French fired first, the missile ploughed towards the hulk and then veered off to the West never to be seen again.

The Americans fired next and their missile was true, then turned and locked onto the American ship. There was suddenly a lot of activity and shooting. All were safe.

The Brits fired and there missile went for the hulk and passed right over it targeting a location on land, and a scurry to abort went out. It was narrow!

Even so, at the end of the day they all went back for G&T's in the mess and congratulate themselves on a good day out. Such are the opinions sometimes of believers including myself. Sometimes we just don't get it or even get close to the truth. Signing off now.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM

281 posts, read 306,266 times
From a civil point, there is no reason not to allow homosexuals to marry as heterosexuals do. It simply makes no sense from a secular, civil point of view. So why not allow homosexuals to marry, have civil unions even as heterosexuals do? It's a moral argument, not a civil one. From the moral, viewpoint, churches do not have to perform weddings or 'blessings' between homosexuals as is there right under their religious beliefs. The problem is that those 'Christian' churches that perform weddings or 'bless' the homosexual unions are doing it without the support of and in contradiction of the Scripture. It is to this flagrant disregard of the Scriptures that conservative, fundamental Christians take objection. I don't care one way or t'other from a purely civil point of view, it's a matter of government not faith. However, we as Christians do not have to sit back and allow the Church to fall so far from it's standard of truth that we allow cultural relevantism to dictate what the church does or doesn't do. Call what is sin, sin and what is wrong, wrong.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:57 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post

I think the scripture explains it was 'pride'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity