Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:41 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Most likely they are pulling the "Love your neighbor" Scripture out. That's becoming increasingly popular. Obama did it to justify his condoning of same sex marriages. Everything ties back to evolution theology.. is it a choice or were they born that way. The Bible says both are true, but people don't want to believe the Bible. So it is becoming a "race"/ discrimination issue.

The Church is to be separate from the World though being the "salt". Salt preserves. Salt preserves the Judgment of God on a nation, but many of the mainstream "Christian" churches are only putting kindling on the fire.

Judgment begins in the house of God.

1 Peter 4:17-18

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?
Imagine that, quoting Christ! The nerve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Imagine that, quoting Christ! The nerve.
As you know, quoting Christ is not the problem. Using one passage to "trump" another is where we have to be careful, on both sides of the SSM debate.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:55 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Here's a thought: So long as the homosexual members of their church (or any homosexuals, for that matter) are having sexual relations without being married, they're committing two sins instead of just one. Realistically speaking, the church knows they can't prevent the homosexuality itself. But with the couple's willingness, they can at least prevent the fornication?

One might argue that marrying them or blessing their relationship = encouraging them to continue being gay. But without knowing for certain that homosexuality is something chosen in every case, it's nothing but a guess.

Also, if they don't perform the marriage, the couple will simply go someplace else. Perhaps they are not wanting to push them away?

Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Here's a thought: So long as the homosexual members of their church (or any homosexuals, for that matter) are having sexual relations without being married, they're committing two sins instead of just one. Realistically speaking, the church knows they can't prevent the homosexuality itself. But with the couple's willingness, they can at least prevent the fornication?

One might argue that marrying them or blessing their relationship = encouraging them to continue being gay. But without knowing for certain that homosexuality is something chosen in every case, it's nothing but a guess.

Also, if they don't perform the marriage, the couple will simply go someplace else. Perhaps they are not wanting to push them away?
Good points. However, is the church supposed to "condone" sin, so as to not drive people away? There's a fine line there.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
As you know, quoting Christ is not the problem. Using one passage to "trump" another is where we have to be careful, on both sides of the SSM debate.
I agree. It goes nowhere. And those words of Christ's can be twisted to fit either the anti-gay or gay agendas.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,388,858 times
Before I continue, I feel I should point out that I'm not a Christian. Not a theist at all, actually. Nor am I homosexual (Yeah, you guys can ignore my posts from now on if you want; I won't blame you.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
is the church supposed to "condone" sin, so as to not drive people away?
You know, I wonder if there is anything biblical to answer this question. There's something about being fishers of men and then there's a lot about keeping yourself from sinning...

Oh well. Assuming there isn't, I'd say it depends on one's priorities. Which is more important, not "encouraging" sin (which again assumes that homosexuality across the board is a choice that can be encouraged/discouraged into existence) or keeping the lines open where God (recall that he's supposed to be the one who saves, not other people) can continue to speak to said person through the church?

Also it depends on what you think saves a person. Is it the behavior (including refraining from homosexual acts) or is it a belief and profession of that belief in God, Jesus, the sinner's prayer, etc.?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
It seems to be the case that there are gradually becoming more Liberal Churches performing s.s marriages or blessings.

For instance, the Episcopalian Church has started 'blessings'.

How do they reconcile this with the Bible and general Christian theology?

Some, seem to just do away with the OT and Paul sections, but how about with the more orthodox churches - how can this be?

Oh, and I wanted to point out that it's past "started"--the first Episcopal Church I belonged to did a blessing of the union of a gay male couple back in 1998. It received quite a bit of press because the couple was already something of a local celebrity. They had petitioned the New Jersey court for the right to adopt their son jointly. Up until then, NJ Law said only a married couple could adopt a child. A single person could adopt, but not a single person and a partner to whom they were not married. The law was changed because they took it to court to adopt their son together.

Anyway, the Baptists picketed our church with signs every Sunday for the next month.

The church I now attend would not turn down a gay couple who wanted to attend our church. I don't know if they would consent to a blessing of a union or not. It has not come up. As of right now, we have no gay parishioners.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
So how about the Episcopalian branch then?

That is a fairly large organisation.
They are losing members all the time. The liberals have taken over that church and the church is in trouble.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
They are losing members all the time. The liberals have taken over that church and the church is in trouble.
Maybe gaining members isn't their primary goal.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,018,190 times
See there are many so called Christians who have apostasy in their faith and fail to know the Spirit of God and His authority , were being born again is a false doctrine , and any demonic activity is as foreign as aliens of a science fiction movie...... So if people reject the ten commandments and go on a follow other gods which are alien to the Lord , when the gifts of the Holy Spirit will be lacks ........ See there are countless believers who support divorce today , and will not condone the error that the authority in the dark spirit will bring ..... See in my own church teaches to condemn yourself for all sin that is on your table before the Lord , and no one else is to blame not even Adam or the devil ..... And then teaches the Christian blessing of Leviticus 14 as the priest are the only way to be bless by God ...... So I will accept persecution in the spirit on this one idea, and take the lead in the Holy Spirit of what to believe ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity