Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

Ok, so this is not a post about legalism or anything of the sort. Just something that as I was studying with the Holy Spirit through Romans, was revealed to me, praise the Lord's name. All references are from the NIV84. Rather lengthy but tell me what you think. Once again to reinterate I am not talking about legalism here...

So in Romans 3:20 we see, "...through the law we become conscious of sin." So the Law, which most Christians would claim to be gone and invalid now, brings knowledge of sin. Ray Comfort's evangelism technique "Way of the Master" points this out.

For instance, if we start at the first commandment, "You shall have no other gods before me.", most of us would tell ourselves we obey this one, true enough.

So we proceed through to the 3rd which says "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God" and would tell ourselves, I'm clean that as well. Think about this though, the word the NIV says misuse the KJV says vain, the Hebrew is shav' which means lacking worth or lying... Have you ever used the Lord's name and not attached worth to it? Not just using it as a curse word (which certainly fits the definition) but just used His name in a manner which defrauds the Lord of His worth?

We go through all the commands and we can identify that we have broken nearly every command, some of which possibly thousands or millions of time depending on age. Remember this also that breaking any one of the commands from 2-10 means you break the 1st one as well. So we are looking a LONGGGGGGGGGGGG list of charges against us.

Then we go through what the Law required of those who broke the Law of God. Bear in mind there may be more than what I post, I'm summarizing:

1) In Exodus 22:20 and Leviticus 20:1-6 God says the person who turns from Him will be cut off from the people, which entails cut off from God's promises and put to death.
2) In Lev 19:4; 26:1, 30 & Deut 4 God says those who make idols for themselves and turn from God will have their lives forfeited (v30)
3) In Lev 24:10-23 a man was stone for using the Lord's Name in vain, or blasphemy.
4) In Ex 31:15 God says a man who dishonors the Sabbath must die.
5) In Ex 21: 15, 17 those who dishonor their parents or attacks them must die and Deut 27:16 declares those who dishonor their parents are cursed.
6) In Ex 21:12 God says those who take life, forfeit their life.
7) In Lev 18 God says those who commit adultery are to be cut off from the people and in Lev 20 they should then be put to death.
8) In Ex 22 God says those who steal must restore what they stole times a certain amount and if it can't be repaid then they must become slaves of the one they stole from.
9) In Deut 19:15-21 a liar must be punished in the way they intended to bring to others, "Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."
10) Coveting leads to disobedience and disobedience leads to death (see above answers)

So when you add up all your iniquities, how does God see your life? Remember in Prov 15:8 and Isaiah 64:6 the works and sacrifices of the unrighteous are detestable and unclean to the Lord. We can see our enormous guilt when we honestly examine ourselves and then we can see how condemned we were. Every act of sin must be punished (according to the Law of course) so we were under a heavy burden of guilt and condemnation.

Now before I am roasted by someone for appearing to say that we are under the Law, I am not saying that at all. This is where I'm getting at. All of us owed a debt we could never, EVER pay. (Psalm 49:8) That is why what Jesus did on the cross for us is so amazing!

Colossians 2:13-14, "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

Galatians 3:13, "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”

Every single sinful act, every single punishment that was meant for you and me was on Jesus at the cross. Talk about amazing grace. How incredible, amazing, loving, compassionte our Lord the living God, the eternal King, the Creator, the King of kings and Lord of lords is!!! Hallelujah!

All of this forgiveness can be yours and all who admit to God that they need someone to step in and take their punishment for them. That they turn from their sins and sinful way and believe that Jesus is the One who did take their punishment and that He loves them enough to forgive them and make them as if they had never sinned EVER!!! You will be saved!

Romans 10:9-10, (NLT) "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved."

Romans 10:13, (NLT) "For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Acts 20:21, (NLT) "I have had one message for Jews and Greeks alike—the necessity of repenting from sin and turning to God, and of having faith in our Lord Jesus."

Jesus You are awesome and worthy to be praised! Thank You Jesus for giving of Your precious blood for my redemption! I praise You Lord for hanging on that tree, for becoming a curse for me to redeem me from the curse of the Law! How marvelous and awesome is Your name in all the Earth Lord!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 05:26 AM

81 posts, read 94,968 times
Default The Law is Good

Matt 5 v18: - For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until ALL is accomplished. NAS

Jesus was stating that not a single word, aspect or statement related to the Mosaic Law as outlined in the Old testament (Leviticus and so on, and not just the 10 commandments) will be changed until heaven and earth pass away.

This is important. You as a believer, have been placed into grace and are spiritually above the law if ruled by the Spirit of God. However the rest of the Universe (and I include Satan here and his mob) are not. If the Law was eradicated or altered after his Crucifixion then sin would have no more meaning or power over the universe and those in it.

Consequently there would be no conviction of sin and no further decay. As you see, that is not the case and will only happen when the new heaven and earth are formed.

The Law needs to be maintained universally as a protective action, otherwise all hell would be let loose, free from sin and unaccountable for their actions. A.k.A they could not be judged for their sins if the Law was altered or removed. That's how I understand anyway.

On the other side of the scale, as a believing Christian I don't spend time following the Law to support my salvation privileges. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death, which was actually the Mosaic code. (Romans 8 v2)

That's how I understand it until someone tells me otherwise. Hope that was useful.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:00 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
John 1:17
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

The Mosaic Law is Just, Perfect, Holy but it curses mankind as we can not keep it. The Law demands must be met to be with God. Jesus Christ fulfilled the perfection of the Law which cursed mankind so all that are "in Christ" through Baptism of the Holy Spirit are seen as perfect in him.

For all that are not in Christ, the righteous demands of the Law have not been fulfilled thus the curse of the Law is upon their own person. We cannot pay the debt to be released from death row but can be freely released by accepting the one that paid this debt for us - Jesus Christ.

Justification comes entirely by faith in Jesus Christ Lord YHWH God and not by any "works" of the Mosaic Law. The Mosaic Law is defined as from Moses to Jesus Christ - 10 commandments and all.

Those Justified by Jesus Christ will be Judged according to His Law which supersedes the authority of Moses in the New Covenant. Most of the 10 commandment are included in his Law. The one that is not mentioned is "keeping the Sabbath". Justification does not come by one's ability to keep Christ's Law, but for those that are saved "in Christ" every work and intent from the heart will be judged at the Judgment seat of Christ either being rewarded or suffering loss. (1 Cor 3)

Fruit is not the basis for Justification, but fruit is a result from Justification. Good "works" accompany regeneration from the new birth. One can not produce fruit without first being grafted into the vine to abide in the vine Jesus Christ. Those that are "born again" are sealed until the day of redemption. Those purchased that fall away in apostasy are cut off from fellowship (john 15).

The Law curses mankind while Grace blesses. They are opposing and antithetical concepts.

Here's an interesting list compiled by Dr. Chuck Missler.

• The Law is perfect:
– that is why imperfect men cannot keep it.
• The Law is holy:
– that is why sinners are condemned by it.
• The Law is just:
– therefore cannot show mercy to the guilty.
• The Law prohibits;
– Grace invites and gives.
• The Law condemns the sinner;
– Grace redeems the sinner.
• The Law reveals sin;
– Grace atones for sin.
• By the Law is the knowledge of sin;
– By Grace is redemption from sin.
• The Law was given by Moses;
– Grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
• The Law demands obedience;
– Grace bestows and gives power to obey.
• The Law says do and do not;
– Grace says “It is done.”
• The Law says, Continue to be holy;
– Grace says, “It is finished.”
• The Law curses;
– Grace blesses.
• The Law slays the sinner;
– Grace makes the sinner alive.
• The Law shuts every mouth before God;
– Grace opens the mouth to praise God.
• The Law condemns the best man;
– Grace saves the worst man.
• The Law says, pay what you owe;
– Grace says, I freely forgive you all.
• The Law says “The wages of sin is death”;
– Grace says, “The gift of God is eternal life.”
• The Law says, “The soul that sinneth it shall die”;
– Grace says, “Believe and live.”
• The Law was done away in Christ;
– Grace abides forever.
• The Law puts us under bondage;
– Grace sets us in the liberty of the sons of God (Rom 12:1).

Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,325 times
Hebs 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:34 AM

419 posts, read 435,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyQuen View Post
Matt 5 v18: - For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until ALL is accomplished. NAS

Jesus was stating that not a single word, aspect or statement related to the Mosaic Law as outlined in the Old testament (Leviticus and so on, and not just the 10 commandments) will be changed until heaven and earth pass away.

This is important. You as a believer, have been placed into grace and are spiritually above the law if ruled by the Spirit of God. However the rest of the Universe (and I include Satan here and his mob) are not. If the Law was eradicated or altered after his Crucifixion then sin would have no more meaning or power over the universe and those in it.

Consequently there would be no conviction of sin and no further decay. As you see, that is not the case and will only happen when the new heaven and earth are formed.

The Law needs to be maintained universally as a protective action, otherwise all hell would be let loose, free from sin and unaccountable for their actions. A.k.A they could not be judged for their sins if the Law was altered or removed. That's how I understand anyway.

On the other side of the scale, as a believing Christian I don't spend time following the Law to support my salvation privileges. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death, which was actually the Mosaic code. (Romans 8 v2)

That's how I understand it until someone tells me otherwise. Hope that was useful.
Jesus did fulfill that Law. Romans 10:4 states that Christ is the end of the Law for righteousness. If you are in Christ the Law is of no benefit to you. You can choose to be in either or...but not both.

Having said that, instead of merely not killing someone, we should now look out for his benefit. Instead of not stealing, we should seek to protect our neighbor's goods. So...it has actually been taken a bit further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity