Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,238 times

Advertisements

These are some biblical references about Hell: FYI if anyone wants to know what God says about it.
Occurs 54 times in the Bible KJV
Nave's Topics for HELL(In the A. V. this word occurs in O. T. Scriptures, cited below, and is the translation of the Hebrew word "sheol," which signifies the unseen state)
In the R. V. of O. T. it appears only in
- Isa 5:14
- Isa 14:9
- Isa 14:15
- Ezek 31:16
- Amos 9:2
- Jnh 2:2
- Hab 2:5
In the R. V., "sheol" is translated "lowest pit"
- Deut 32:22
- Ps 86:13
And it is translated "pit" in
- Ps 55:15
In the R. V. the word "Sheol" itself occurs in the following scriptures
- 2Sa 22:6
- Ps 9:17
- Ps 16:10
- - Prov 5:5
-
"Sheol" is translated "grave" in A. V. in
- Gen 37:35
- 1Sa 2:6
- 1Ki 2:6
- 1Ki 9
- Job 7:9
- - Ps 6:5
- - Prov 1:12
- Prov 30:16
- Eccl 9:10
- Song 8:6
- Hos 13:14
In the R. V. the Greek word "gehenna" is translated "hell" in the following scriptures
- Mat 5:22
- Mark 9:43
- Luke 12:5
- Jas 3:6
The R. V. has introduced "Hades," the word found in the Greek text, which signifies the unseen world, in the following scriptures
- Mat 11:23
- Mat 16:18
- Luke 10:15
- Luke 16:23
- Acts 2:27
- - Rev 1:18
- Rev 20:14
THE FUTURE HOME OF THE WICKED
- Ps 9:17
- Prov 5:5
- Isa 30:33
- - Mat 5:30
- Mat 7:13
- - Mat 25:46
- Mark 9:43-48
- Luke 3:17
Acts 1:25
- 2Th 1:9
- 2Pe 2:4
- Jude 1:6-23
- Rev 2:11
- See WICKED (PEOPLE)
I couldn't include all of them, takes up a whole page.
Psa 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, [and] all the nations that forget God.

Pro 9:18 But he knoweth not that the dead [are] there; [and that] her guests [are] in the depths of hell.

Isa 5:14 Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
Sorry this is so long... But I hope this helps
Oh! the references are from the Blue Letter Bible and Bible Explorer

Last edited by yhwhshalomjr; 10-02-2007 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Had to omit some scrips, takes up too much space
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM

I must admit this is a long thread, even though I edited it and tried to make it concise.
I again apologize. I'll try not to make the same mistake twice.
God Bless

Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 PM

265 posts, read 615,606 times
wow!

that's a long list of HOT STUFF! after all that how bout a funny?

A man died and was taken to his place of eternal torment by the devil.

As he passed sulphurous pits and shrieking sinners, he saw a man he recognized as a lawyer snuggling up to a beautiful woman.

"That's unfair!" he cried. "I have to roast for all eternity, and that lawyer gets to spend it with a beautiful woman."

"Shut up", barked the devil, jabbing the man with his pitchfork.

"Who are you to question
that woman's punishment?"

found it on a joke site. hope I didn't brake any rules.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,348,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
These are some biblical references about Hell: FYI if anyone wants to know what God says about it.
Occurs 54 times in the Bible KJV
Actually you have missed a few passages. There are 54 Scriptures that have translated sheol, hades, gehenna, and tartaroo as hell in the K.J.V. What you have not presented are the passages that are rooted in the same word sheol in Hebrew, and which the K.J.V. translators saw fit to translate as "pit" or "grave".

And then we come to the New Covenant where in the K.J.V. we read "O death, where is thy sting: O grave, where is thy victory." Or, should it?

It should read "O death, where is thy sting: O hell, where is thy victory."

Grave= a/&dhß= hades

So, we now have added to the 54 passages, the passages translated as grave or pit, and the passage in 1 Cor. 15:55 translated as grave, from hades/ a/&dhß.

Sheol

31 verses translated as hell +

Hades

10 verses + I Cor. 15:55

Gehenna

12 verses all translated as hell

7 in St. Matthew

3 in St. Mark

1 in St. Luke

1 in James

Tartarus

1 in St. Peter

Sheol & Hadees

HERE

Last edited by Birdy_56; 02-29-2008 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM

As Teddy Ruxpin PhD (The talking bear) would say..."something is not quite right."

The Hebrew word Sh@'owl is not translated as hell in 29 Scriptures, instead opting for grave. Some of them are....

Gen. 37:15

"And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him; but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into the grave (sh@'owl) unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him."

To be consistent, it should read...

And all his sons and all his daughters rose up to comfort him: but he refused to be comforted; and he said, For I will go down into hell unto my son mourning. Thus his father wept for him.

Gen. 42:38

"And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in which ye go, then shall ye bring my gray hairs with sorrow to the grave/ (sh@'owl).

To be consistent, it should read....

And he said, My son shall not go down with you; for his brother is dead, and he is left alone: if mischief befall him by the way in which ye go, then shall ye bring my gray hairs with sorrow to hell.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
As Teddy Ruxpin PhD (The talking bear) would say..."something is not quite right."

The Hebrew word Sh@'owl is not translated as hell in 29 Scriptures, instead opting for grave. Some of them are....
1 Samuel 2:6

"The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up again."

It should read....

The Lord killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to hell, and bringeth up again.

Job 14:13

"O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldst appoint me a set time, and remember me."

It should read....

O that thou wouldest hide me in hell, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldst appoint me a set time, and remember me.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:

Hosea 13:14

Quote:
I will ransom them from the power of the grave (sh@'owl); I will redeem them from death: O death, I will be thy plagues; O grave (sh@'owl) I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.
This passage should read....

I will ransom them from the power of hell; I will redeem them from death.' O death, I will be thy plagues; O hell I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 PM

Psalm 88:3

Quote:
For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth unto the grave (sh@'owl).
This passage should be.....

For my soul is full of troubles: and my life draweth unto hell.

Psalm 30:3

Quote:
Oh Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave (sh@['owl): thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down into the pit.
This passage should be.....

Oh Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from hell: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down into the pit.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Actually you have missed a few passages. There are 54 Scriptures that have translated sheol, hades, gehenna, and tartaroo as hell in the K.J.V. What you have not presented are the passages that are rooted in the same word sheol in Hebrew, and which the K.J.V. translators saw fit to translate as "pit" or "grave".

And then we come to the New Covenant where in the K.J.V. we read "O death, where is thy sting: O grave, where is thy victory." Or, should it?

It should read "O death, where is thy sting: O hell, where is thy victory."

Grave= a/&dhß= hades

So, we now have added to the 54 passages, the passages translated as grave or pit, and the passage in 1 Cor. 15:55 translated as grave, from hades/ a/&dhß.

Sheol

31 verses translated as hell +

Hades

10 verses + I Cor. 15:55

Gehenna

12 verses all translated as hell

7 in St. Matthew

3 in St. Mark

1 in St. Luke

1 in James

Tartarus

1 in St. Peter

Sheol & Hadees

HERE
You know, that was me being religious;
If you check the date I started the thread
I have changed a lot.
It doesn't matter to me if it's 54,000 names and places.....
As long as i don't go there. and as long as I broke free from religiosity
and Legalism. it's okay and it's a freedom that cannot be expressed in words
God Bless

Old 03-02-2008, 04:54 AM

63 posts, read 101,424 times
Quote:
Hosea 13:14

This passage should read....

I will ransom them from the power of hell; I will redeem them from death.' O death, I will be thy plagues; O hell I will be thy destruction; repentance shall be hid from mine eyes.
This cannot be acceptable to us. God will be the destruction of hell? Where has eternal hell gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity