Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:57 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times

Advertisements

Okay I know I know, not the most pleasant of topics, but as a Christian is there a specific way in which we are to have our body treated once we have died? Does the Bible teach on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM

396 posts, read 399,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
Okay I know I know, not the most pleasant of topics, but as a Christian is there a specific way in which we are to have our body treated once we have died? Does the Bible teach on this?
Nope. Jesus was wrapped a certain way after His crucifixion according to Jewish traditions of the time. Along those lines, Jews have big issues about a dead carcass or body. The act of burying is for sanitation issues while the body decomposes. Cremation is popular for financial reasons. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,599 times
I don't have a theological preference. Personally, I'd rather be buried, but I'm not against cremation.

I do know that there are some churches that teach that you shouldn't be cremated. I'm not completely sure of the reasons, it has something to do with the rapture and the "dead in Christ will rise first". I think anyways. Anyone can jump right on in and clarify this one.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
The Bible says "from dust thou art and to dust thou shall return.".IMO it doesn't matter whether you are buried or cremated you will eventually be dust..You just reach that stage faster by cremation. Besides we really aren't talking about you...We're talking about the body your soul used before it returned to the one who gave it to you.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
The Bible says "from dust thou art and to dust thou shall return.".IMO it doesn't matter whether you are buried or cremated you will eventually be dust..You just reach that stage faster by cremation. Besides we really aren't talking about you...We're talking about the body your soul used before it returned to the one who gave it to you.
This leads me to prefer cremation. And my practical nature says why give a funeral home 10k when it can be used to better my children's lives. I am already in Glory, what do I really care anyway? Haleluijah!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:42 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
I don't think it matters, but I do not want to be cremated.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,238,136 times
I perfer burial,I tease the folks at work when we get on this subject.
I tell them I want a large wake,peach colored flowers colored coordinated with my peach dress, cause that is my color and it goes best with my complexion. Heavy makeup.
Make sure my wrinkles are pulled to the back of my head, and lots of tears!!!
If you feel like you can't cry put a onion in you pocket and rub it under your nose at the right time. I want to really look good for atleast once in my life.
Seriously I want to be buried because I think it brings closure to the family and I hope by that time I have a good testimony and I want a hell fire and brimstone sermon preached.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:35 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
To me it does not matter what they do to my body, but, since burial is so expensive, and....to provide closure for relatives: I will tell them to cremate the body, then have a private family-only ceremony, where they can scatter, or bury, my ashes on the "back-40" somewhere...

Bud

Old 10-03-2007, 05:27 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,653,820 times
Default Mix in a little wild flower seed and give me a few shakes

I once thought I'd like to be laid out in a tomb as in the days of antiquity. As I've aged I think cremation makes the most sense. I agree with the scattering of ashes in a "special place". It is illegal I believe to scatter them on public lands. Soooo I guess my family will have to be sneaky . I might actually be able to afford a patch of land and do it on my dirt. Ok as morbid as it sounds I think we all ponder the final dispatch of our remains. We should plan for what makes us feel most at ease, and remove at least that bit of tension from our lives.

Squidlo

Old 10-03-2007, 08:41 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefer View Post
and I want a hell fire and brimstone sermon preached.
LOL! I literally laughed out loud when I read your last line, thefer. I think I'll request that too! Actually, when our son died, I told our pastor to be "VERY evangelistic." He said, "Well, kaykay, you KNOW my heart!" And I guess he did a good job. At our son's memorial service, over 40 teen-agers came forward to give their lives to Christ. (It wasn't fire and brimstone, btw, but I guess given the circumstances, he didn't have to say much.)

Regarding cremation/burial, some years back a certain Bible teacher I respect gave some thoughts about the issue. His take was that burial was preferred because the Jewish people always buried their dead and the pagan cultures were the ones who cremated. He felt this was because burial was considered "more respectful" of the body. I tend to agree, but I guess it's personal preference IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity