Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,753,310 times

Advertisements

just to be clear on arguys (me) stand here...I go by the motto when it comes to talking about God, church, salvation..that people wont care what you know..till they know you care..99.8 % of people in a bar dont wanna talk about God..I know that..cause I used to be one of them..if someone walked in and started talking about God, church, Im a sinner..id be outta there..
from a different point of view..I know Im supposed to be open to what the Holy Spirit compels me to do..and not once have i been compelled to be confrontational...usually Im there for one person..I dont know who they are..but God leads..we follow and God points people in our direction if we listen to him..Ive found that if we open our hearts to what God wants from us...the dear sweet holy Spirit opens up peoples hearts and minds..and God will put people in front of us that are looking for him..
All we have to do is be willing to go..

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...

***also..if God did want me to go to a bar to witness..its not because he wants me or whoever to beat up people for being there..Jesus never did that in the Bible..he was compassinate..and showed mercy and was loving..Id be there because someone was hurting and needed a friend..someone had cried out to God..and I just happened to be lucky enough for God to use that time.

Last edited by arguy1973; 10-08-2007 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,294,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ah yes, I think we do 'follow' each other's thoughts.

What I quoted above is probably my current theme.

Many times I'll talk about church, my church, your church, their church, but what we really need to be thinking about is The Church.

(that almost sounds like Dr. Suess!!)
Favorite Dr. Seuss Quotes #10
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
Dr. Seuss

--Not that it matters, but June's just curious:

What's your favorite music/song? Dm me.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:08 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,017,116 times
Quote:
LOL. The blaring music. You make me smile.

I see what you're saying (is that possible).

I'm all for reaching out to the hurting, June.

And I think that what you said about "within that "space" or place where souls reside, can any one of us not relate to that longing of both wanting to know who we are, and why?" holds much truth.

That is exactly why I think we(The Church) need to do a better of job of meeting people on their level.

What makes more sense "I'm just like you, but God has healed me"

Or

"Don't you want to be just like me!"

One's true and humble, one's deceptive and proud.

Follow?
THAT right there has always been my sentiments as well. However, our church tends to want to preach to the choir and a lot of them seem almost "scared" to preach to those that really need it!
For example, in a couple of weeks, we have a festivity coming up in our town. They have rented a booth and are using the Way of the Master material for witnessing. (They want me to join in, but I could only do this if I felt connected to my church, which I DON'T!)
Anyway, the asst pastor says he looks forward to seeing some of his students there that he can witness to since he can't do it in class. HOWEVER, I have seen him first hand and he ONLY goes to those that are already "good kids". I have yet to ever see him witness to one of the "goths" or "emos" or "hoods". Granted, the "good kids" need salvation as much as the others, however, he never seems to want to go out on that limb and try to work with those that need it most.

Great post Alpha...tried to rep ya!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,278,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
just to be clear on arguys (me) stand here...I go by the motto when it comes to talking about God, church, salvation..that people wont care what you know..till they know you care..99.8 % of people in a bar dont wanna talk about God..I know that..cause I used to be one of them..if someone walked in and started talking about God, church, Im a sinner..id be outta there..
from a different point of view..I know Im supposed to be open to what the Holy Spirit compels me to do..and not once have i been compelled to be confrontational...usually Im there for one person..I dont know who they are..but God leads..we follow and God points people in our direction if we listen to him..Ive found that if we open our hearts to what God wants from us...the dear sweet holy Spirit opens up peoples hearts and minds..and God will put people in front of us that are looking for him..
All we have to do is be willing to go..

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth...

***also..if God did want me to go to a bar to witness..its not because he wants me or whoever to beat up people for being there..Jesus never did that in the Bible..he was compassinate..and showed mercy and was loving..Id be there because someone was hurting and needed and friend..someone had cried out to God..and I just happened to be lucky enough for God to use that time.
And THAT is someone God can use! With GOD all things are possible... not with MY message or deeds.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:28 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,901,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
And THAT is someone God can use! With GOD all things are possible... not with MY message or deeds.
Agreed and I hope none of my posts were misinterpreted to be 'holier than thou'.

The question I was asked was "Should Christians frequent bars?"

I'm in complete agreement with arguy's post above.

We're hearing the same music, arguy!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,753,310 times
Quote:
Agreed and I hope none of my posts were misinterpreted to be 'holier than thou'.

we usually do!

Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM

396 posts, read 400,463 times
Quote:
Id be there because someone was hurting and needed a friend..someone had cried out to God..and I just happened to be lucky enough for God to use that time.
If I can share a testimony. I've never witnessed "inside" a bar, but outside across the street. I went with at leat two other people-in-Christ, and one of us would usually try to start a conversation with anyone who seemed willing to listen. The one of us whom the seeking person felt most comfortable speaking with would be the person who would then continue the conversation of salvation. The other two of us would fade into the back or off to the side, but still be close by.

I often tried to initiate a conversation using the question, "How would you describe your relationship with Jesus Christ?" and let God lead. If God leads you to follow through with this, He may guide your words differently than mine. Christ usually seemed to only allow me to offer the nuts-and-bolts of salvation, and to instead lend an ear. Even more importantly, Christ kept me in an attitude of humility.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,294,860 times
Quote:

I hope none of my posts were misinterpreted to be 'holier than thou'.
No. I don't think they ever are.

I think you just let your light shine down...

Take gentle care,
-June

Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,824,689 times
Quote:

Even when you are "holier than thou" you manage not to come off that way. That is why you reach people even if they don't like or agree with what you are saying. Can you teach the rest of us that?

I wish more listened to that same music, your music is inpiring.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,824,689 times
Quote:
***also..if God did want me to go to a bar to witness..its not because he wants me or whoever to beat up people for being there..Jesus never did that in the Bible..he was compassinate..and showed mercy and was loving..Id be there because someone was hurting and needed a friend..someone had cried out to God..and I just happened to be lucky enough for God to use that time.
This is perfect!

Of course I can never rep the people I want when I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity