Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,348,400 times

Advertisements

" All the people of Babylon, all the land of Sumer and Akkad, princes and governors, bowed to him and kissed his feet.
They rejoiced at his kingship and their faces shone. Lord by whose aid the dead were revived and who had all been
redeemed from hardship and difficulty, they greeted him with gladness and praised his name. "

Translation from the 'Cyrus Cylinder' now in the British Museum

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Revelation 6:6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and wine.

This is one of the verses that came to my mind when I saw the drought in the West where grain is grown. Revelation has so many symbols that it is a mystery to me. I keep wondering if the oil spoken about here is food or fuel.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:56 PM

By the way, in the Cyrus Cylinder, it says the king of Babylon, Nabonidus,
afflicted his people. Then the Cyrus Cylinder says something very similar
to info in the Bible. It says the king of Babylon took away the daily sacrifice
and uttered blasphemy. It goes on to say that Babylon's god searched the
world for a righteous man to conquer Babylon, and chose Cyrus. It goes on
to say that this god stayed at Cyrus' side and gave him the victory over Babylon.
This is almost exactly how God's anointing of Cyrus is described in Isaiah 45.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Revelation 6:6 And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny; and see thou hurt not the oil and wine.

This is one of the verses that came to my mind when I saw the drought in the West where grain is grown. Revelation has so many symbols that it is a mystery to me. I keep wondering if the oil spoken about here is food or fuel.

I sometimes find the commentaries here helpful

Revelation 6:6 Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, "A quart of wheat for a day's wages, and three quarts of barley for a day's wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!"

One of the commentaries says that oil and wine were not considered necessities...
and that a shortage of necessities might not affect them. Other interesting info
at link as well.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 AM

Below is another passage in the book of Revelation related to Babylon, Cyrus and the Euphrates River.

Jeremiah chapters 50 and 51 are the prophecies of Babylon's destruction.

Since Cyrus conquered but did not destroy ancient Babylon, I think much of Jeremiah's prophecy is reserved
for Babylon's third and final incarnation as the end time evil empire.

At the end of Jeremiah chapter 51, Jeremiah tells his servant that when he is in Babylon to take the prophecy
and bind it to a rock and throw it into the Euphrates river... thereby binding the prophecy until the time for its
revelation... the time when Cyrus, God's King from the east, dries up the Euphrates river and symbolically unbinds,
reveals the prophecy.

Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 51:63 When you finish reading this scroll, tie a stone to it and throw it into the Euphrates.

Jeremiah 51:64 Then say, 'So will Babylon sink to rise no more because of the disaster I will bring upon her. And her people will fall.'" The words of Jeremiah end here.

Revelation:

Revelation 9:14 It said to the sixth angel who had the trumpet, "Release the four angels who are bound at the great river Euphrates."

Revelation 9:15 And the four angels who had been kept ready for this very hour and day and month and year were released to kill a third of mankind.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM

God's Anointed King, Cyrus, is an archetype of Christ [the word, Christ, means "anointed".]

Like Christ, Cyrus' first coming conquered Babylon benevolently.

His second coming completely destroys Babylon and establishes the Kingdom of God on earth.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM

1,784 posts, read 3,459,211 times
Sounds like you need a blog. (you have 13 out of 16 posts in this thread before this one)

Old 08-16-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post

Sounds like you need a blog. (you have 13 out of 16 posts in this thread before this one)

You must find it interesting or you wouldn't keep coming back

1 John 2:18 Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:59 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Here is something to ponder about....
The people reading Revelation for the first time had to get just as much out of it as people today... and that's what people of today seem to forget. Revelation was not written for the 21 century application.
Revelation was not given so as one can pick up a news article and claim ... see Rev ____ : _____ that's about this event.

To understand Revelation correctly is to understand what it is.. and that is it's apoplectic symbolism.
Not that Jesus or heaven, hell, judgements and salvation to only the believers are symbolic, but the descriptions of them are symbolic.

Revelation is apoplectic in that from Rev 4 - Rev 22 is not a chronological history of earth's history. Rev 4-22 is God's way of looking at history from his perspective in which he begins at some point, ending it abruptly ... then repeating the same scenario (begins at some point in history, ending it abruptly) over and over.

The main lessons of Revelation are:
  1. Jesus is God
  2. believers will be persecuted by
    1. most of the inhabitants on earth
    2. goverments
    3. by satanic forces
  3. Evil will seem to flourish to the point the elect will cry out how much longer Lord
  4. God sends judgements not only as punishment, but also to attempt to get people to repent
  5. Believers are to take comfort Jesus is in control
  6. The world will end suddenly as Jesus finally proving himself as God
  7. Unbelievers are sent to their damnation in hell forever,
  8. believers get glorified and dwell with God forever

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-16-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 PM

When Revelation was written the people were much more familiar with the Babylonian and Cyrus historical symbols.
Jerusalem had been under Babylonian rule for 70 years and under benevolent Persian rule for over 200 years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity