Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,726,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Try the Book of Jasher...
RESPONSE:

The Book of Jasher isn't a book of the Old Testament.

Do you have a copy?

From Wikipedia:

The Book of Jasher, or Pseudo-Jasher, is an 18th-century literary forgery by Jacob Ilive. It purports to be an English translation by Flaccus Albinus Alcuinus of a lost Book of Jasher. It is sometimes called Pseudo-Jasher to distinguish it from the Sefer haYashar (midrash) (Naples, 1552) which incorporates genuine Jewish legend.

From the Jewish Encyclopedia

Town in Galilee, situated in a valley to the north of the plain of Esdraelon. It is about 1,200 feet above the level of the Mediterranean. Nazareth first appears in the New Testament as the place where Jesus passed his boyhood (Matt. ii. 23; Luke i. 26; ii. 4, 39, 51; John i. 46 et seq.; Acts x. 38). It is not mentioned in the Old Testament, or in Josephus or the Talmud (though Eleazar alir [8th and 9th cent.] in the elegy "Ekah Yashebah" mentions the priestly class of Nazareth "Mishmeret"], doubtless on the basis of some ancient authority

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11394-nazareth

Last edited by ancient warrior; 08-23-2012 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Matthew 2:5-6

“They said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet: ‘And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; since from you shall come a ruler, who is to shepherd my people Israel.’”

Actually, Matthew misquotes the prophecy of Micah 5:1

“But you, Bethlehem-Ephrathah least among the clans of Judah, From you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; Whose origin is from of old, from ancient times.

Its a clan not a city that Micah claims the ruler of Israel is to come from.

Last edited by ancient warrior; 08-23-2012 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Removed [CENTER]s

Old 08-23-2012, 04:45 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,667,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
[center][center]matthew 2:5-6:[/center]
[center]“they said to him, “in bethlehem of judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet: ‘and you, bethlehem, land of judah, are by no means least among the rulers of judah; since from you shall come a ruler, who is to shepherd my people israel.’”[/center]
[center][/center]
[center]actually, matthew misquotes the prophecy of micah 5:1[/center]
[center]“but you, bethlehem-ephrathah least among the clans of judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in israel; whose origin is from of old, from ancient times.[/center]
[center] [/center]
[center]its a clan not a city that micah claims the ruler of israel is to come from.[/center][/center]
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkkkk]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[fix it !]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Old 08-24-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkkkk]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[fix it !]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
RESPONSE:

Please see message 32. It was "fixed" [the "CENTER" inserts removed] as soon as I discovered that they existed.

You must have read the message within the first minute of posting, before I made the corrections.

I'm not really a computer person, but I fail to understand why this website frequently includes [SIZE] or [CENTER] computer instructions, yet none of the various other sites I post on do.

Does anyone understand why this occurs on this site and how this can be avoided????

Old 08-24-2012, 07:00 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,068,297 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

The Book of Jasher isn't a book of the Old Testament.

Do you have a copy?

From Wikipedia:

The Book of Jasher, or Pseudo-Jasher, is an 18th-century literary forgery by Jacob Ilive. It purports to be an English translation by Flaccus Albinus Alcuinus of a lost Book of Jasher. It is sometimes called Pseudo-Jasher to distinguish it from the Sefer haYashar (midrash) (Naples, 1552) which incorporates genuine Jewish legend.

From the Jewish Encyclopedia

Town in Galilee, situated in a valley to the north of the plain of Esdraelon. It is about 1,200 feet above the level of the Mediterranean. Nazareth first appears in the New Testament as the place where Jesus passed his boyhood (Matt. ii. 23; Luke i. 26; ii. 4, 39, 51; John i. 46 et seq.; Acts x. 38). It is not mentioned in the Old Testament, or in Josephus or the Talmud (though Eleazar alir [8th and 9th cent.] in the elegy "Ekah Yashebah" mentions the priestly class of Nazareth "Mishmeret"], doubtless on the basis of some ancient authority

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11394-nazareth
Wiki-tabloid again...You really sguld do better research...How about the book of Enoch?...What do you have to say about that?...

Old 08-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Matthew continues to claim prophecy fulfilment by applying snippets of Old Testament to Jesus. For example:

Matthew 2:16-18
" When Herod saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, he was infuriated, and he sent and killed all the children in and around Bethlehem who were two years old or under, according to the time that he had learned from the wise men. Then was fulfilled what had been spoken through the prophet Jeremiah:
‘A voice was heard in Ramah,
wailing and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be consoled, because they are no more.’ (NRSV)

However, this "prophecy" of Jeremiah (Jer 31:15) has Rachel is morning for Jews that have been carried off to Babylon during the 6th century BC. It has nothing to do with the "Slaughter of the Innocent."

The "Slaughter of the Innocent" story is unique to Matthew's Gospel. The Jewish historian, Josephus, although he is rather through in reports about King Herod, fails to mention any such episode as the Slaughter of the Innocent.

Neither does the nativity narrative of Luke, but this is because, according to Luke's Gospel, Herod was dead for ten years when Jesus was born making Matthew's account of Herod's crime chronologically impossible.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:07 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,068,297 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

Please see message 32. It was "fixed" [the "CENTER" inserts removed] as soon as I discovered that they existed.

You must have read the message within the first minute of posting, before I made the corrections.

I'm not really a computer person, but I fail to understand why this website frequently includes [SIZE] or [CENTER] computer instructions, yet none of the various other sites I post on do.

Does anyone understand why this occurs on this site and how this can be avoided????
Try either pasting into notepad first to get rid of the them or highlight all that you paste and click the little double A above the B to get rid of the formatting which is HTTP that often gets copied along with the main body of what you copy...HTTp is the language used to create a webpage and is in the background of the page itself, unseen...Click on 'view' in your menu options and then scroll down to 'source' and click on that and you will see what I mean...

Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Wiki-tabloid again...You really sguld do better research...How about the book of Enoch?...What do you have to say about that?...
RESPONSE:

Perhaps you overlooked that I cited the Jewish Encyclopedia as well which also attests that there is nothing about Nazareth nor is it even mentioned in the Old Testament.

And regarding Wikipedia, do you challenge the facts they present? Using what evidence exactly? Actually, Wiki probably isn't the best reference, but if you check the references it provides , you can reasonably ascess the accuracy of their article.

From the Jewish Encyclopedia - ENOCH, BOOKS OF ENOCH, BOOKS OF (Ethiopic and Slavonic) - JewishEncyclopedia.com

"Apocryphal works attributed to Enoch. From Gen. v. 24 ("Enoch walked with God" and "God took him") a cycle of Jewish legends about Enoch was derived, which, together with apocalyptic speculations naturally ascribed to such a man, credited with superhuman knowledge, found their literary expression in the Books of Enoch. Of this literature a collection of fragments or single, independent pieces has come down to us in the so called "Ethiopic Enoch," whereas the Slavonic Book of Enoch gives, as it were, a résumé of most of the current oral or literary traditions about its hero, which it brings into a certain system of its own. So far as can be judged from these books, the legends of Enoch are the following..."

Sort of the Harry Potter of Jewish tradition isn't it?

We're discussing the reliability of Matthew's Gospel here which is supposed to be inspired and historically accurate not apocalyptic speculations.

Lets continue to examine the evidence.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Try either pasting into notepad first to get rid of the them or highlight all that you paste and click the little double A above the B to get rid of the formatting which is HTTP that often gets copied along with the main body of what you copy...HTTp is the language used to create a webpage and is in the background of the page itself, unseen...Click on 'view' in your menu options and then scroll down to 'source' and click on that and you will see what I mean...
Thanks, Richard,

I copied out your recommendations and am storing them on my desktop. When the problem arises again - and I'm sure it will - I'll refer to your instructions. Perhaps others experiencing the samde problem can copy your advice and do the same. AW

Old 08-24-2012, 10:27 AM

2,854 posts, read 2,055,738 times
Quote:
RESPONSE:

According to Luke Jesus was born after Quirinus became governor of Syria and initiated the census of Judea.

(The site you listed is empty).

Luke 2:2-6 This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. 3All went to their own towns to be registered. 4Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. 5He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. 6While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child. 7(NRSV).

its not empty. Scroll down.

1And it came to pass in those days, there went forth a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world be enrolled -- 2this first enrollment came to pass before Cyrenius was governor of Syria --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity