Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM

428 posts, read 331,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is clear that scholarship is not your strong suit or you would not be rigidly fixated on the canon of the Bible as inerrant. There is NO QUESTION whatsoever that the chauvinism in the selection of the scriptures to include in the Bible was driven by politics and cultural bias against the status of women in the ancient world. Try reading some of the scriptures that were excluded by those ignorant chauvinists and you might begin to actually understand our loving God. It would probably take a mini miracle to educate you sufficiently in bible scholarship to make any dent in the chauvinism you have been indoctrinated into.
So you want to change the bible! I understand where your coming from.

Which text are you referring to? Chances are I have a copy of it in my collection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^^^

All you are doing is basing your argument on scripture quotes alone. I don't think you are getting what people are saying here--that there is more to the story than just the words you read on the page.
I get what you are saying but as of yet not one person has offered any source of evidence to disprove the scripture that has been quoted. Many have made statements and claims but no one has tried to show where that which they claim comes from. Why won't anyone offer anything for real discussion rather than their own opinion?

Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM

88,868 posts, read 85,274,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
I get what you are saying but as of yet not one person has offered any source of evidence to disprove the scripture that has been quoted. Many have made statements and claims but no one has tried to show where that which they claim comes from. Why won't anyone offer anything for real discussion rather than their own opinion?

I provided you with an extensive post using the lectionary for that week, which included Proverbs, James, and Mark, and you chose not to comment on it, and probably not even to read it. I'm not going to repeat myself.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM

198 posts, read 263,619 times
Quote:
Yes, they can and they do.

Can you please provide scripture for your beliefs? Why do you believe it's okay?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:24 PM

198 posts, read 263,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Again, context, context, context.

In 1 Timothy, Paul is speaking to the Ephesians. At that time, the Ephesian church was having a big problem with false teachings. Women in particular fell victim to these false teachings because they did not yet possess enough knowledge of Christ teachings to be very discerning.

Paul did not want Ephesian woman to teach on that which they themselves still needed more education. Again, he was only speaking to Ephesian women, not ALL women. Paul was cautioning Timothy to not put anyone in a position of leadership in the church who did not yet have a mature faith.

Can you give any examples of women who preached where men was present in the bible? More specifically after Christ came.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:40 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,471,802 times
most men are too busy with football and other sports to even want to teach. all men are suppose to teach, but the world is taking then away from priorities. Women, get in there and take their place. Many time women gotta drag the husbands to church.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
Can you please provide scripture for your beliefs? Why do you believe it's okay?
First, you must understand that I am NOT a person who takes every scripture word for word at its basic face value or who believes that God is so petty that He dictated His exact stance on gender roles. The beloved quotes that put down women are all written by men in a time and place when the superior of the male was believed to be a given.

If you wish to engage in a thoughtful and intelligent discussion on the matter or are open to education and the opinions of others, please see my earlier post in this thread on the subject, in which I outlined how this specific issue was included as part of a larger theme given as the part of a recent sermon by my priest. Scripture references are provided therein.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
most men are too busy with football and other sports to even want to teach. all men are suppose to teach, but the world is taking then away from priorities. Women, get in there and take their place. Many time women gotta drag the husbands to church.
Maybe some have problems because the women don't know their role and try to take the role of a man! Ever thought about that?

Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Is it REALLY bliss?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I provided you with an extensive post using the lectionary for that week, which included Proverbs, James, and Mark, and you chose not to comment on it, and probably not even to read it. I'm not going to repeat myself.
Well I did a search and found it. I think I did read it but it really gave no scriptural support for making a change from what God's word clearly say's.

Paul gave the reason for the situation plainly and that has not changed. The problem is by not accepting God's word as something He expects you to accept and live by, you can change things to suit your wishes all the time. It's a great way to get around things until you have to face the judge!

I accept God and His word as is. I don't change God based on mans reasoning. I would show you what the bible say's about those who accept the doctrines of man but since you have no respect for God's word I don't see the point.

Last edited by Jimmy Joe Bob; 10-05-2012 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity