Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 10:33 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The apostle Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John all referred to themselves as bondservants or slaves of Jesus. They did not consider being a child of God and being a bond-servant or slave of the Lord to be mutually exclusive. Why then do you?
Because even as an atheist, I did not treat my children that way. It is NOT the way a loving Father treats His children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 10:45 AM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Because even as an atheist, I did not treat my children that way. It is NOT the way a loving Father treats His children.
As usual, you place your personal experiences and feelings above what the very apostles of Jesus have communicated.

Old 10-01-2021, 01:15 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Serve schmerve! How can you take that passage in Mat 6:26-34 where nothing needs to be done to receive God's blessings and use it to justify becoming a slave or servant of God instead of one of His beloved children!!???!!
I think of myself as serving mystic

I do not serve because I have to but because I want to

My service is reading, thinking, comparing, reporting

Jesus even says his disciples (learners) are to serve

Mat 20:25**But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26**But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27**And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28**Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

This is figurative of our humbling ourselves to do Gods will and not our own

G1401***(Strong)
δοῦλος
doulos
doo'-los
From G1210; a slave (literally or figuratively, involuntarily or voluntarily; frequently therefore in a qualified sense of subjection or subserviency): - bond (-man), servant.

We humble ourselves, and God raises us up

Christianity has been deliberately placed in that position of subservience as per Romans

Rom 8:20**For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,
Rom 8:21**Because the creature itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.
Rom 8:22**For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now.
Rom 8:23**And not only they, but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-01-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The apostle Paul, James, Peter, Jude, and John all referred to themselves as bond-servants or slaves of Jesus. They did not consider being a child of God and being a bond-servant or slave of the Lord to be mutually exclusive. Why then do you?
Exactly mike

We are supposed grow beyond the doctrinal, rote to a place of voluntarily committing to serving each other, which serves God in the development of His kingdom

Mat 6:9**After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10**Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11**Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12**And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13**And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

And I see where this fits in with your understanding of the difference between the in dwelling and the filling of the Holy Spirit

Last edited by Meerkat2; 10-01-2021 at 01:54 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 02:37 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Exactly mike

We are supposed grow beyond the doctrinal, rote to a place of voluntarily committing to serving each other, which serves God in the development of His kingdom

Mat 6:9**After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Mat 6:10**Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11**Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12**And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13**And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

And I see where this fits in with your understanding of the difference between the in dwelling and the filling of the Holy Spirit
Thanks, Meerkat.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am I a Prophet View Post
Sometimes, God answers your prayers and you haven't realized what His answer was. When I was twelve, I had a dream. I met God. I was there in front of Him. There was this amazing feeling of love. It felt physical, the feeling.

Afterward, God showed me a slag pile. Something deep within the pile was saying, "me, me." All my life I thought that meant something inside of me that was too selfish. Lately, I have come to realize it was God pointing out the lack of love that I had received in my life and my need for it. We need love to become anything but slag. I was calling out for that love by trying to draw attention to myself. God was telling me that He could see that.

I think we misunderstand God all of the time. He uses all of our misses to teach us. In some way He works those things out for good, but it doesn't mean that He intended for us to be ignorant of His intentions. Rather we tend to insist. Faith has to do with how we see God. Before we can, we have to have the capacity to. Where does that come from? Don't we, at least, need a thread of love to catch an end of? Isn't that His nature?
I have found that too, that a lot of things don’t become apparent until much later, and a lot of the time it’s things we can’t be taught by rote we need to realise and understand at a personal level the ripple effect and consequences by painful experience

Old 10-01-2021, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I have found that too, that a lot of things don’t become apparent until much later, and a lot of the time it’s things we can’t be taught by rote we need to realise and understand at a personal level the ripple effect and consequences by painful experience
This ripple effect and consequences usually perpetuates out of ignorance, or misunderstanding, or greed, or vanity and there is to be a breaking of that cycle (those cycles) at predetermined times

This is what the Scriptures are about - and it is multi-layered and multi-dimensional

Old 10-02-2021, 05:48 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Renae View Post
I've heard of people praying for such important things, like a Rolex or a sports car. Not really things we need. God doesn't cater to the things that we want. He increases our obedience, faith and trust in Him. These are the things we need. God always answers prayers, but, He increases our strength--if we've been given a windfall (money,etc) I think that these things are tests to see if we'll only keep what we need and distribute the remainder. The more we can be trusted to do His work--the greater the increase. This includes wisdom, understanding, wealth, health, and responsibility to Him.
Yeshua Bless You

Are you my niece? I live in Illinois, if you have an uncle that is one of Jehovah's witnesses, write me a personal note.

Old 10-02-2021, 05:52 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,806 times
Quote:
Serve schmerve! How can you take that passage in Mat 6:26-34 where nothing needs to be done to receive God's blessings and use it to justify becoming a slave or servant of God instead of one of His beloved children!!???!!

Are you sure you are a PhD? Last time I checked, seek is an action word. At any rate, wonder why Jesus didn't know that Luke 13:24

Old 10-02-2021, 05:52 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,070 times
So, people get cancer because they “need” it? Spare me ….
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity