Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:48 AM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Have you ever seen the Life of Jesus Christ ?. His Life is the Truth( reality) of who God really IS. If you have seen ME you have seen the Father(God). You do not know God if you deny all that God IS was made known to us through the Son. Jesus Christ left the man who had eyes to see in no doubt who God really IS.

All thoughts,images and ideas we have of God that are not interpreted through the Light of who Jesus Christ IS, are thieves and robbers.

It is time to stop interpreting scripture and who God is, other than by the Life that was manifested through the Son.

Your god who wields a sword slaying his enemies( those you deem deserving to be slain) is not the Christ of the scriptures.
I believe the WHOLE of Scripture. You do not. We're never going to agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:25 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,530,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Have you ever seen the Life of Jesus Christ ?. His Life is the Truth( reality) of who God really IS. If you have seen ME you have seen the Father(God). You do not know God if you deny all that God IS was made known to us through the Son. Jesus Christ left the man who had eyes to see in no doubt who God really IS.

All thoughts,images and ideas we have of God that are not interpreted through the Light of who Jesus Christ IS, are thieves and robbers.

It is time to stop interpreting scripture and who God is, other than by the Life that was manifested through the Son.

Your god who wields a sword slaying his enemies( those you deem deserving to be slain) is not the Christ of the scriptures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I believe the WHOLE of Scripture. You do not. We're never going to agree.
Jimmiej,
Good factual response and conclusion.

God does not change ... Jesus does not change.
God is serious about sin ... Jesus is serious about sin
God wielded a sword to slay his enemies ...... Jesus wields a sword to slay his enemies
Matthew 10:34
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword,
it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow;
it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Revelation 1:16
In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword.

Revelation 2:12-16
“To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword
... Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Jimmiej,

God wielded a sword to slay his enemies ...... Jesus wields a sword to slay his enemies
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword.

“To the angel of the church in Pergamum write: These are the words of him who has the sharp, double-edged sword
... Repent therefore! Otherwise, I will soon come to you and will fight against them with the sword of my mouth.

Twinspin if you believe this utter nonsense of an interpretation of scripture, why are you not doing likewise ?. I will remind you again that the scripture tells us that Jesus Christ the one who God said this is my beloved son in who I am we'll pleased, who went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed of the devil(especially by the teachings,doctrines and traditions of the religious phones lip service hierarchy), IS the same yesterday( the Christ made known to us through the good news), today ( the Jesus Christ of the good news) and to the ages ( He will be what He's always been). The enemy of Jesus is not man, but what stands between Him and man,while you remain dull of hearing you will never understand this, you will continue, condemning sin in others, forgetting the great mercy shown to you, and the great mercy still being shown to you as you still fall short of the glory of God. If you had eyes to see,you would see Jesus Christ slaying His enemies throughout the gospels,yet without one fatality,for the Living God wounds AND He Heals.

The god you believe in His double minded and i reject him and will not have it rulling over me, for the Mind of Christ IS single minded.God abides in the following for He IS these things and can be no other than these things.......But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Last edited by pcamps; 09-24-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,385,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Jimmiej,

Have you ever seen someone with a sword coming out of his mouth??

Of course not!

So why should you think that Jesus is going to use a sword coming out of His mouth, in the same way that a man uses a sword in his hand??

Peace,
brian

Old 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
If Man was created in God's image, in what terms are we then supposed to think of God?
This way:

"For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isa. 55.9

Man's ways are very obvious for all to see: self-righteousness, pride, selfishness, anger, impatience... (fruits of the flesh)

These are not God's ways. (fruits of the Spirit)

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
Have you ever seen someone with a sword coming out of his mouth??

Of course not!

So why should you think that Jesus is going to use a sword coming out of His mouth, in the same way that a man uses a sword in his hand??

Peace,
brian
You're evading the point. What does that passage mean, and what does it mean in regard to the OP, was Jesus a pacifist?

Old 09-26-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You're evading the point. What does that passage mean, and what does it mean in regard to the OP, was Jesus a pacifist?
What the passage means: That Jesus destroys/defeats/slays His enemies with what He says. Not with a sword in hand like Conan the Barbarian.

Was Jesus a pacifist? Yes, in the sense that He doesn't fight against flesh and blood. His "enemies" are not people, but wickedness/unrighteousness. That is why He tells us to turn the other cheek.

And that is also why it is correct to say that a Christian should never take up arms against his fellow man, no matter what the reason: self-defense, "freedom fighters," "terrorism," or whatever. Christians war against unrighteousness, not against people.

Also along these same lines, is the teaching: "be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

Blessings,
brian

Old 09-26-2012, 10:32 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,612,570 times
Of course Jesus was a pacifist. Not in a worldly definition of that concept though. All wars and fights are a manifestation of our fallen and sinful humanity. If we had the mind of Christ there would be no war. In His great sermon on the mount which is a discription of what a Christian is, "Blessed" from a Christian view is a condition only the saved can have. Anyway, Jesus said, "Blessed are the peace makers, for they will be called the sons of God". If you take it in the negative form, if you are not a peacemaker you are not a son of God. Christians desire peace and work towards that end. It's not even of ourselves but it's by the action of the Holy Spirit that lives within every single Christian.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:47 AM

861 posts, read 1,252,678 times
Moneychangers upset? Hardly.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What the passage means: That Jesus destroys/defeats/slays His enemies with what He says. Not with a sword in hand like Conan the Barbarian.
It appears we are more or less in agreement that Christ will slay His enemies.

“For we know Him who said, ‘It is mine to avenge; I will repay,’ and again, ‘The Lord will judge his people.’ It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God” (Hebrews 10:30-31).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity