Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,823,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I think the OP is getting at the belief that one must do more than just believe...
One who believes will naturally do more than just believe. Righteous acts are the fruit of righteous faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,175,658 times
Not from what I've seen in real life, Homogenizer. It's a great idea but it doesn't play out that way in reality. People who don't make a strong effort to change will slide back into their old ways, I've seen that again and again. In fact the very parts of the country where "born again" theology rules are the most crime-ridden states ...... and if you believe homosexuality is a sin, by now you should have noticed that "salvation" has little but a temporary effect on the gay lifestyle.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Not from what I've seen in real life, Homogenizer. It's a great idea but it doesn't play out that way in reality. People who don't make a strong effort to change will slide back into their old ways, I've seen that again and again. In fact the very parts of the country where "born again" theology rules are the most crime-ridden states ...... and if you believe homosexuality is a sin, by now you should have noticed that "salvation" has little but a temporary effect on their lifestyle.
Well, I don't worry about God's opinion of homosexuality. I'm not gay, and I have enough timbers to fill a lumber yard before I worry about their preferences. However, like Ron Paul, I don't recognize a justification for the state getting involved in the marriage business in favor of hetero couples, which discriminates against the gays. I hope that settles any underlying motivation that you seem to be revealing.

With regard to your criticism of Christianity: I think Jonah covered that. If it weren't Jonah, it's someone around those last books of the Old Testament. He tears into the Jews about presenting a less than perfect sacrifice to God under the pretense that the sacrifice is highly valuable.

You're describing what such people do. They pretend to have faith, but it's a faith that's corrupt, and we know that it's corrupt because the fruit of a bad vine is bad. So those whose actions are unrepentantly wicked are people whose faith must be in the dark side.

I would say that the admonition to be hot or cold rather than luke warm is also an argument against the pretense of faith without the reality of faith.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:36 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Oh goody. We haven't had a Univeralism v's Orthodox Christianity thread for a while.

Salvation is a gift. Most people will reject that gift. Sadly. But such is free will.

John 3:36 says: He who believes in the Son has everlasting life; and he who does not believe the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.

Matt 10:28 says: And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,832,349 times
NO- not enough- He was the door to salvation..the guide- The only one who is going to save you in the end is yourself- and it will be something that take place between you and God...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,037,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Fundamentalists believe that 90% of humanity will reject Jesus' offer and thus be condemned to hell for all eternity. How is that being the "Savior of the world"? Sounds like a much bigger victory for satan and an equally bigger failure for Jesus to me.
If even one person is denied being a member of God's family - then that is a VICTORY for Satan and a failure for God.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,559,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
If even one person is denied being a member of God's family - then that is a VICTORY for Satan and a failure for God.
The denial is on the part of the individual. The correct term is refusal-the refusal of God's gift. No one is denied. Got it? God never fails, but people do.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,037,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The denial is on the part of the individual. The correct term is refusal-the refusal of God's gift. No one is denied. Got it? God never fails, but people do.
Think about what your saying. Your of the belief that God said the wicked need to be able to initiate the salvation of themselves thru belief. Really? Do you really believe God put the salvation of the wicked in their own hands?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Your of the belief that God said the wicked need to be able to initiate the salvation of themselves thru belief. Really?
We're all wicked; that's the human condition. What God instills in us is a calling to be better, an awareness of right and wrong. It is up to each of us to ignore it or rise to it.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,219,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
NO- not enough- He was the door to salvation..the guide- The only one who is going to save you in the end is yourself- and it will be something that take place between you and God...
EXACTLY...he was the teacher...we as the student just need to follow his teaching. Sadly, very few actually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity