Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 01:04 PM

11,907 posts, read 3,737,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Something similar for me. I don't usually use words for prayer. It's more of taking the time to consciously be aware of and cultivate the connection to our Source/Love with the intention of being more open to hearing what it might have to "say" to me.
Similar for me too pleroo

The terms Father, Jesus are scriptural and intellectual about defining/ naming the different roles/administrations

And then you get different terms Yahweh, Jehovah, yeshua, Christ, messiah, el, allah, which are about the translations, interpretations To be used intellectually

I don’t pray in the normal sense of asking for things, and I have an awareness of that Source which is the “unity” under the general name of God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 01:23 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to whether you address your prayers to God the Father or to His Son, Jesus Christ.

The reason for my question is that I've heard people say that they "ask Jesus" for things. I've also heard people say, "thank you, Jesus." My own prayers are always addressed to God the Father, but I offer them "in the name of Jesus Christ." What about you? Please include an explanation of why, along with your answer.
Prayer for me is communion of Spirit to spirit. There are times it is only wordless groans to Abba that exceed mere words. "Our Father" is not a formula, but the road by which that communion takes place.

Actually, it is very difficult to separate the Lord Jesus from His Father & ours.

“Prayer is the natural outgushing of a soul in communion with Jesus. Just as the leaf and the fruit will come out of the vine-branch without any conscious effort on the part of the branch, but simply because of its living union with the stem, so prayer buds, and blossoms, and fruits out of souls abiding in Jesus.” - Charles Spurgeon-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqN5CAGvf8s

Old 09-09-2020, 02:39 PM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Prayer for me is communion of Spirit to spirit. There are times it is only wordless groans to Abba that exceed mere words. "Our Father" is not a formula, but the road by which that communion takes place.

Actually, it is very difficult to separate the Lord Jesus from His Father & ours.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:26 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,420,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Similar for me too pleroo

The terms Father, Jesus are scriptural and intellectual about defining/ naming the different roles/administrations

And then you get different terms Yahweh, Jehovah, yeshua, Christ, messiah, el, allah, which are about the translations, interpretations To be used intellectually

I don’t pray in the normal sense of asking for things, and I have an awareness of that Source which is the “unity” under the general name of God
I appreciate the way you worded that.

I've just recently started practicing Reiki which, for all intents and purposes, is a way to meditate on that Source. One of the other things that I find compelling about the practice is that it can simultaneously be a meditative focus on other people as well and so it reflects the interconnectedness of all of us in God and God within all.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,440,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
....Source which is the “unity” under the general name of God
Very nice.
Communion of spirit -

Old 09-09-2020, 09:22 PM

88,716 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
God, for he is the one that placed me on this earth again. This time, with different rules.
That's so you can learn not to repeat your mistakes.

IIRC, last time you whacked Gronk with a rock during the new moon, while the Tablet of Torg clearly stated that killing a man for stealing your aurochs was only to be done with a club after the first quarter.

Maybe THIS time, you'll learn that rules are rules.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:30 AM

1,196 posts, read 756,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm curious as to whether you address your prayers to God the Father or to His Son, Jesus Christ.

The reason for my question is that I've heard people say that they "ask Jesus" for things. I've also heard people say, "thank you, Jesus." My own prayers are always addressed to God the Father, but I offer them "in the name of Jesus Christ." What about you? Please include an explanation of why, along with your answer.
my prayers always go to Jehovah God, (Exo. 6:3), or "Yahweh" ,the God and Father of Israel. Jesus NEVER taught anyone to pray to him, he told us to follow him and not ourselves ,(Luke 9:23). live as he did, follow his lead, he even prayed to his Father ,(John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was). there's a reason why we have to end our Prayers..."In Jesus Name" ,(John 14:6 Jesus said unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man comes unto the Father, but by me). we being imperfect can't get to Jehovah God who's Perfect, through anyway but by means of a once a perfect human, JESUS!

Jesus said this concerning his Father and our prayers ,(John 9:31 Now we know that God hear not sinners: but if any man be a worshiper of God, and do his will, him he hear).Jesus didn't mean that those trying to live right are NOT sinners. because we ALL were born through the sin of one man, Adam ,(Romans 5:12). he's referring to those who chose to live an immoral and debauched life. but also we have to make sure that the Father and others know who we're prayer to. when we pray to "god", we have to use his NAME.

this is why Jesus made his Father's NAME known to those whom he sent to Jesus ,(John 17:6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gave me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gave them me; and they have kept thy word). in the "LORD's PRAYER", Jesus told his followers to say these words ,(Matt. 6:8,9 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name). Jesus followers has to respect and Honor the Name God's allowed us to use.

there are MANY who are worshiped in some form as one's god. be-it humans, money, material things, even satan and Jesus himself, (1Cor. 8:5,6 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth as there are many gods and many lords. yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live). so when we say Jesus Father's Name ALL will know who we're praying to. and when we go through Jesus Name, our prayers will get to the Father. peace

Old 09-10-2020, 06:49 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,368,775 times
Jesus NEVER taught anyone to pray to him, he told us to follow him and not ourselves

Nor did He ever say, no , do not worship me, only the Father. He said you can go directly to the Father now because of Him. Jesus is God in human form, when you converse with the Son you are conversing with the Father as well.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:32 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,396,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Jesus NEVER taught anyone to pray to him, he told us to follow him and not ourselves
Nor did He ever say, no , do not worship me, only the Father. He said you can go directly to the Father now because of Him.
Jesus is God in human form, when you converse with the Son you are conversing with the Father as well.

For the last 10 years or so when I am repenting, and even through-out the day ("pray always") I meditate a variant of the 'Jesus prayer':

"Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner."

This prayer goes way back in the Eastern Church -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Prayer
and for me a variant of Luke 18:13.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:46 AM

63,944 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I appreciate the way you worded that.

I've just recently started practicing Reiki which, for all intents and purposes, is a way to meditate on that Source. One of the other things that I find compelling about the practice is that it can simultaneously be a meditative focus on other people as well and so it reflects the interconnectedness of all of us in God and God within all.
Reiki is legitimate. My eldest daughter is a Reiki Master practitioner and she achieved it when there was no charge for the training. Those who have subsequently followed have made it a business, charge fees, and have broken the Master training into more steps so they could charge for further degrees. But as with all true spiritual paths, any involvement with monetary gain is a corrupting and suspect sign, Pleroo. True adepts do NOT charge to spread their enlightenment. They support themselves in other ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity