Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:58 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,424,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Reiki is legitimate. My eldest daughter is a Reiki Master practitioner and she achieved it when there was no charge for the training. Those who have subsequently followed have made it a business, charge fees, and have broken the Master training into more steps so they could charge for further degrees. But as with all true spiritual paths, any involvement with monetary gain is a corrupting and suspect sign, Pleroo. True adepts do NOT charge to spread their enlightenment. They support themselves in other ways.
Thanks Mystic. I agree and I actually found people who share their course for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 10:10 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,398,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I understand, and I'm sorry you thought I was being critical. It's just that I wonder how a person can know that someone who has died can hear them when they speak. If you were going to ask a friend for a favor, you'd somehow approach that friend directly and not just think, "Sue, would you please do me a favor?" You wouldn't assume that a living person could hear you if you were not in her presence, so I don't understand why you would assume that a dead person could. But I agree with you that we are not to judge one another for worshipping differently.
Going back thru this thread and your question (from 2012!) I saw that nobody ever responded to it so here is my understanding, as concisely as I can:

We believe that the Saints are "Alive in Christ" and "one with Him just as He is One with the Father",
so not by their own but thru oneness with the Father they are aware of our petitions to them to pray to the Father for us,
as "the supplication of a righteous man availeth much in its working" ,
and those who are alive and 'one with the Father' are certainly righteous-
so we don't seek that the Saints answer our petition by their own power
but that by God's power their supplication to God for us is answered, by God.

I guess it all boils down to believing that they/we will be Even More Alive, thru and in Christ,
(rather than less),
when they/we are before God, and one with Him.

This is just a summary, and not a full apologetic - I am not a theologian.

scriptural references (not exhaustive):
Alive in Christ - Mark 9:4 1John 5:11-13 John 5:24 John 3:15-16
"one with the Father" John 17:21 1 Corinthians 12:12-31
"supplication of righteous" Jam 5:16
pray for one another/intercession - 1 Timothy 2:1 James 5:16 1 Thessalonians 5:25 Ephesians 6:18 Matthew 5:44 Romans 10:1 Numbers 12:13 1 Samuel 12:23 Numbers 21:7 2 Timothy 1:16-18
intercession granted - Luke 5:17-26 John 2:1-11 Mat 8:5-13 Mat 15:21-28
intercession sought/heard/responded thru Abraham, but not granted - Luke 16:24

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-10-2020 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 06:28 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,013,177 times
Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Jesus NEVER taught anyone to pray to him, he told us to follow him and not ourselves

Nor did He ever say, no , do not worship me, only the Father. He said you can go directly to the Father now because of Him. Jesus is God in human form, when you converse with the Son you are conversing with the Father as well.

Mat 4:10 Zero

Old 09-11-2020, 06:46 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,369,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Mat 4:10 Zero
OK. Matthew it is. More proof Jesus is God. Thanks for pointing that out.

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Jesus calls Himself the Lord your God, He also says don't tempt God. Satan wanted the worship from Jesus. What is your point?

Old 09-11-2020, 07:41 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,047,838 times
Quote:

7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’”

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will bow down and worship me.”

10 Jesus said to him, “Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’”

Jesus calls Himself the Lord your God, He also says don't tempt God. Satan wanted the worship from Jesus. What is your point?
Unfortunately his dogma is rooted in ghastly ideas of our Lord, the Master of Reconciliation. The organization, of whom he is a part, beholds the Lord Jesus Christ as a created being (a god). Let's see how the n.w.t. compares ?

https://www.biblestudytools.com/john/1-1-compare.html

"The logos was with theos and the logos was theos."

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 09-11-2020 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-11-2020, 10:56 AM

28,124 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:

Jesus may be God, but He also said that His Father was His God. You don't think that when He prayed, He was praying to himself, do you? So do you pray to Him to to His Father?

Old 09-11-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Jesus may be God, but He also said that His Father was His God. You don't think that when He prayed, He was praying to himself, do you? So do you pray to Him or to His Father?
Katz: the mystery of God will leave all of us in areas that exceed what we think we grasp.

The Lord Jesus Christ, as recorded in Phil. 2:6, emptied Himself of that which made Him equal with God (Theos). He was in the morphē of Theos but thought it not to be retained, or held fast, but on the contrary emptied Himself.

1 Cor. 15 points us to the Day when the final harpagnos of emptying by Him, as He brings all in subjection to Father, results in God being all in all.

Our prayer is to Abba through His blessed Son the Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:15 PM

1,305 posts, read 861,006 times
Interesting question. I find when I give prayers of thanks, they are addressed more to the universe/God. When I pray for help or just to chat, I pray to Jesus. I think having a human form makes me think of him as more approachable and he would understand human/physical problems. God is sort of scary. Sort of like when you're young, you might be a little more likely to talk to a sibling about a problem rather than a parent in some cases. If this makes any sense. I know, it's not logical.

Old 09-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Interesting question. I find when I give prayers of thanks, they are addressed more to the universe/God. When I pray for help or just to chat, I pray to Jesus. I think having a human form makes me think of him as more approachable and he would understand human/physical problems. God is sort of scary. Sort of like when you're young, you might be a little more likely to talk to a sibling about a problem rather than a parent in some cases. If this makes any sense. I know, it's not logical.
U.C.: Behind the universe is the Creator of the universe. It is He with whom we converse.

https://www.heavensinspirations.com/empty-chair.html

Old 09-11-2020, 02:10 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,398,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I can relate.
I had to go thru some very heavy stuff couple years ago - physically/spiritually/mentally/emotionally all together all at once - only way I made it thru was leaning heavily on Jesus - like He's my big brother - He was there when I desperately needed Him. Road goes both ways too - I also realized how I've hurt Him - like I hammered those nails in myself - truly humbling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity