Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times

Advertisements

Matt 13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Why does he hide the kingdom once he has found it? Wouldn't he want to share it?

Or is it that most are not to receive it (yet)?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Matt 13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Why does he hide the kingdom once he has found it? Wouldn't he want to share it?

Or is it that most are not to receive it (yet)?

Thoughts?
Great question Lego. The man who who found the field in my opinion is Jesus Christ. Contrary to everything I have ever believed or been taught, but think about.

The field is the world Matt 13:38

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
The idea is that he would sell everything he had to get that which was most valuable. He hid it again so that he could buy the field, knowing it was there and then "discover" it again after buying it. Legal precedent was that if a treasure was found, it belonged to the one who owned the land.

Honestly....don't try to read too much into it.

Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
I don`t think the hording of the field is the message in this scripture, but the fact the field was new and a treasure which was precious, and he had to have it......Like the next scripture `the kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant man seeking goodly pearls..who when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had and bought it ...``..... See I don`t thing the legalism of hording or buying heaven is what Jesus was trying to say , but that heaven was a precious treasure which people would want at what ever cost....

Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,075,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The idea is that he would sell everything he had to get that which was most valuable. He hid it again so that he could buy the field, knowing it was there and then "discover" it again after buying it. Legal precedent was that if a treasure was found, it belonged to the one who owned the land.

Honestly....don't try to read too much into it.
If that is the case, that sounds like an immoral lesson.

The treasure rightly belonged to the owner of the field. The finder hid it to deprive the owner. I guess this is a lesson in "the end justifies the means"

Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,528 times
selling everything you have to gain the treasure. that's the point.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
What is this everything we have to sell?.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
If that is the case, that sounds like an immoral lesson.

The treasure rightly belonged to the owner of the field. The finder hid it to deprive the owner. I guess this is a lesson in "the end justifies the means"
No...it makes a point in a way that people would understand it. If the finder wanted to cheat the owner he'd have taken it and claimed he found it on his own land. But the question of the land isn't the point of the parable. He told it to make the point that we should be willing to give up everything we have for God.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Amen. The field is where the work of God is going on in the world. A man/woman gets saved in the field of His work. There is the initial joy thereof but it becomes hid. The joy comes back in time through growing in Grace and in the Knowlege of the Lord. This life long joy comes back by learning to abide in and to do the will of God in the field of His work. One must learn the art of selling all of self to God in exchange for His Life.

REV 3:18-19 I counsel you to buy of Me gold tried in the fire, that you may be rich; and white raiment, that you may be clothed, and that the shame of your nakedness do not appear; and anoint your eyes with eyesalve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent."
The exchange rate for this kind of Gold/ buying the field, is self. Sell to God your weak self and and He will give to you the Beauty of His Righteousness [Glory] and Himself.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...it makes a point in a way that people would understand it. If the finder wanted to cheat the owner he'd have taken it and claimed he found it on his own land. But the question of the land isn't the point of the parable. He told it to make the point that we should be willing to give up everything we have for God.
A big amen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity