Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2007, 03:28 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

So I'm cleaning up the last few classes I have to take to move on with my degree....

Since I switched to a Catholic College I needed to take a religion class. I pickked this one:

Comparitive Religion: This introductory-level course introduces the worlds major religions, beginning with an exploration of the nature of religion. Through reading, reflection, and writing, the student learns about the historical and literary aspects of Hindu, Buddhist, and Chinese thought, then moves on to Western religions, including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Who's gonna help me when I need it? The course is supposed to show how these religions compare to Christianity, which I can't imagine how they all do...but it should be interesting. Anyone else take such a course?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 03:38 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post

Through reading, reflection, and writing, the student learns about the historical and literary aspects of Hindu, Buddhist, and Chinese thought,

Who's gonna help me when I need it?
June would love to!!!

(I'll help you with the Buddhism, et al, and you can help me with that connecting the music thing, okay? We gotta a deal?)

--Seriously!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:56 PM

Oh good because you're smart and all...I pushed my start time for the course back to November 15th so I'd be done with Orientation by then. So brush up on your Buddism girlie!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:26 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
So I'm cleaning up the last few classes I have to take to move on with my degree....

Since I switched to a Catholic College I needed to take a religion class. I pickked this one:

Comparitive Religion: This introductory-level course introduces the worlds major religions, beginning with an exploration of the nature of religion. Through reading, reflection, and writing, the student learns about the historical and literary aspects of Hindu, Buddhist, and Chinese thought, then moves on to Western religions, including Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Who's gonna help me when I need it? The course is supposed to show how these religions compare to Christianity, which I can't imagine how they all do...but it should be interesting. Anyone else take such a course?
Good for you!!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Oh good because you're smart and all...I pushed my start time for the course back to November 15th so I'd be done with Orientation by then. So brush up on your Buddism girlie!
Send June the syllabus, and I'll get right on it!!!

(Hey, in between moderating and going on job interviews, what's a woman to do!?!?)

Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Good for you!!
I thought this was the most appropriate course for me to take for nursing...since it explains a lot of different faiths and the patients I have are all of different faiths it would be good to know more about them.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:41 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
I thought this was the most appropriate course for me to take for nursing...since it explains a lot of different faiths and the patients I have are all of different faiths it would be good to know more about them.

I envy you. I remember a time when I devoured books from all different faiths. It was a wonderful experience, and amazing how many things the different faiths had in common. If we all agreed to stick with what we had in common we......................

well we'd probably be in heaven

Last edited by Oakback; 10-16-2007 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: spelling again!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Quote:
That's a great reason. Most large hospitals have chaplains on staff, but what to say that comforts someone of a totally different faith could be a real problem.

I'll stick a little personal thing in here.....one of my sons took Comparative Religion....or rather he signed up for it. He quit after only a few weeks. He said that too many of the other students didn't seem to understand that it meant to study OTHER faiths not to go on and on and on and on about their own.

Sounds interesting. Good luck and good grades!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,680,321 times
I really enjoyed coursework in comparative religion. It challenged me to ask things that I hadn't really considered.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:56 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,066 times
I'll help you out too Irish! Since I'm in school now too it would be fun!! I took a similar class for my undergrad degree and loved it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity