Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times

Advertisements

One recurring theme on this forum is the one about which is the Right Way/Church/Path, etc?

I thought that we might spend sometime comparing a denomination to a college. Pretend you are going off to college for the first time. Away from parents and on your own. It might be rough. But it will be easier if you are ready to be flexible and understand that you can make a change if you want to.

There are colleges that are great for the aspiring musician or singer. Someone that wants to learn more about math or chemistry wouldn't go to Julliard School of Music, nor would one of Julliard's best singers be apt to transfer to M.I.T. If you are a Pacifist, you wouldn't enroll at a Military College. You would pick the college that made you feel that you could accomplish something to your benefit.

It's about where you find what you need. You like to be part of a crowd....choose a big college/church. You like a small close knit, family type...then the little community college/church is where you would be most comfortable.

Not all colleges have a good history department. Or a good sports program. Or Journalism School. Some even have strange ultra liberal professors that make you wonder what's going on. Some don't even have Bible studies, other have more bible studies than you could ever use....and taught by badly informed professors. You would overlook the flaws if the college had the most of what you needed.

It may be that you need to go to the college/church nearest your house so that you will see your neighbors instead of strangers.

You will seldom find a college/church that satisfies all it's students/members in everyway. That does not mean that it is not Right. As long as people are capable of thinking for themselves, they want and need different paths to knowledge.

When it comes to the Denomination differences, most people, even the most sincere Believers, will disagree with some of the doctrines. The BIG problems come when you find yourself disagreeing with MOST of them.

Then, it's time to check out some of the other colleges/churches to find a place where you can grow and learn The person that is uncomfortable with a particular college/church organization would probably get more out of staying at home.

I know ahead of time, that this post will mistify some readers, but I thought that maybe it would be a case of "seeds falling on fertile ground" for a few. And that would make it worth while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 07:51 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,745,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One recurring theme on this forum is the one about which is the Right Way/Church/Path, etc?

I thought that we might spend sometime comparing a denomination to a college. Pretend you are going off to college for the first time. Away from parents and on your own. It might be rough. But it will be easier if you are ready to be flexible and understand that you can make a change if you want to.

There are colleges that are great for the aspiring musician or singer. Someone that wants to learn more about math or chemistry wouldn't go to Julliard School of Music, nor would one of Julliard's best singers be apt to transfer to M.I.T. If you are a Pacifist, you wouldn't enroll at a Military College. You would pick the college that made you feel that you could accomplish something to your benefit.

It's about where you find what you need. You like to be part of a crowd....choose a big college/church. You like a small close knit, family type...then the little community college/church is where you would be most comfortable.

Not all colleges have a good history department. Or a good sports program. Or Journalism School. Some even have strange ultra liberal professors that make you wonder what's going on. Some don't even have Bible studies, other have more bible studies than you could ever use....and taught by badly informed professors. You would overlook the flaws if the college had the most of what you needed.

It may be that you need to go to the college/church nearest your house so that you will see your neighbors instead of strangers.

You will seldom find a college/church that satisfies all it's students/members in everyway. That does not mean that it is not Right. As long as people are capable of thinking for themselves, they want and need different paths to knowledge.

When it comes to the Denomination differences, most people, even the most sincere Believers, will disagree with some of the doctrines. The BIG problems come when you find yourself disagreeing with MOST of them.

Then, it's time to check out some of the other colleges/churches to find a place where you can grow and learn The person that is uncomfortable with a particular college/church organization would probably get more out of staying at home.

I know ahead of time, that this post will mistify some readers, but I thought that maybe it would be a case of "seeds falling on fertile ground" for a few. And that would make it worth while.
great post Padgett2...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
I feel that going to church and going to college has to be a heartfelt thing. You can't go through the motions and expect to get anything out of it. You can carry a book to college or a Bible to church and have the appearance of a college person or a Christian to others,but God sees the heart.

I went to a small junior college and loved the closeness and unity, a family, which is analogous to what I have here at my churchl. I feel like the Lord led me to these places more than it was of my choosing.

I attended a University after graduating from community college and felt as if I were in a mega-church, a very big place that left you with a cold feeling.I felt like an outcast.There was little or no unity at all. I feel that you have to make the best out of a difficult situation and be happy with your circumstances.

I know that if I feel lonely or down,I know I have the Lord to turn to in these difficult times.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
If church isn't hard or at least a little uncomfortable then you aren't doing it right.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If church isn't hard or at least a little uncomfortable then you aren't doing it right.
Good point. There is danger in just following "what feels good and right for you." No matter how "right for you" it feels, if it's not "right for God", then....??

Old 10-16-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post

In what way? I can't imagine that I would stay in a church that taught something that I found hard to accept. God gives us a brain and free will. I think He expects us to use both.

For example, we were Baptist for a long time, the older we got, the more people we met, the more we were convinced that a person did not have to be baptised by immersion in order to have salvation. We could not see that all those fine people would be condemned because of a difference in interpretation of scripture. As that type of baptism is a basic tenet of the Baptist teachings, we could no longer accept it as a church to support. It was hard to leave, but it would have been hypocrisy to have stayed. We needed to be in a church where we could support others, not just church members.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:04 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
In what way? I can't imagine that I would stay in a church that taught something that I found hard to accept. God gives us a brain and free will. I think He expects us to use both.
I think it's a matter of trying to figure out why you find a particular teaching hard to accept. Moderator cut: off-topic

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-16-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
I think sean98125 has a point. If we are going to church to be entertained or to say that we have gone and fulfilled our duty as a christian for the week, then we are going for the wrong reasons.

I fully expect each week to be challenged to be a better person. To hear the Holy Spirit speaking to me about making changes in my life to be more Christ-like. I believe the Holy Spirit uses pastors to speak such things to their congregations. Proverbs 27:17 says "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Sometimes I don't like hearing what the Spirit has to say. I don't like to be "sharpened". It makes me very uncomfortable because I have become accustomed to living in a certain way. To make the necessary change will require discipline and a solid commitment. Sometimes I fight it, but more often than not, I end up surrendering. Looking back, I'm thankful that I have chosen to surrender.

On the other hand, the pastor should not be enforcing rules that are contrary to scripture. If he is, then as Padgett said, it would be time to find a new church.

btw: Padgett thanks for the great OP. It is a really interesting and accurate portrayal of denominational differences.

Last edited by dojilynn; 10-16-2007 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Forgot my scripture reference.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
On the other hand, the pastor should not be enforcing rules that are contrary to scripture.
Anytime "a pastor is enforcing rules" something is wrong, IMO.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:12 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned thought - off-topic posts removed

As we have said, there are many different roads. One that is smooth and direct for one, may be rough and unpaved to another. The destination is the same.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 10-16-2007 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity