Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,009,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
You're young, kawg. What if we are just "trying to get the gift back like it was when we first received it?"

(See Padgett's and my remarks above!) But I know what you are saying.
Hey now, I didn't say that I would never have it done! I'm just saying I'm not sure how pleasing it would be to God!

Seriously, If YOU'RE comfortable with it, I think God's ok with it. If there's something there nagging at you about it, then we can just say the Holy Spirit (our little Jiminey Cricket) is trying to tell us something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 01:56 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Hey now, I didn't say that I would never have it done! I'm just saying I'm not sure how pleasing it would be to God!

Seriously, If YOU'RE comfortable with it, I think God's ok with it. If there's something there nagging at you about it, then we can just say the Holy Spirit (our little Jiminey Cricket) is trying to tell us something.
Oh, like I said, I'm NOT going to have it done! Never say never, but I certainly don't think so. Again, I don't like pain and discomfort
I can't see "choosing" to have them in a mega way like that!

It is interesting, though, as I said, earlier how your perception changes when you start aging and you look in the mirror and realize you don't exactly look like you formerly did... and you wish you did. (At age 35 or even 45, I didn't understand this.) But now I can understand how some people would have the surgery. Sometimes we don't understand someone having something done that we personally don't need. Does that make sense?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,901 times
There is a lady at my church who lost almost 200 pounds. She worked hard, began eating right and exercised a ton. The weight came off. Once she did all of that, she had excess skin around her stomach. She ended up having a tummy tuck to get rid of it. In this case, I can understand having the surgery. I don't think it is vanity, but more of a convenience to not have to deal with the skin anymore. I also think this is a case of getting the original "gift" back like kaykay mentioned. God didn't give her a gift that was 200 pounds overweight. In this situation, it probably saddened God more for her to let her body get to that point than to have the surgery. (Just so you all know, I have no room to talk about weight issues...struggling with them myself right now...just relaying a story.)

Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,276,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
There is a lady at my church who lost almost 200 pounds. She worked hard, began eating right and exercised a ton. The weight came off. Once she did all of that, she had excess skin around her stomach. She ended up having a tummy tuck to get rid of it. In this case, I can understand having the surgery. I don't think it is vanity, but more of a convenience to not have to deal with the skin anymore. I also think this is a case of getting the original "gift" back like kaykay mentioned. God didn't give her a gift that was 200 pounds overweight. In this situation, it probably saddened God more for her to let her body get to that point than to have the surgery. (Just so you all know, I have no room to talk about weight issues...struggling with them myself right now...just relaying a story.)
This may be from my "June perspective" but I think what is written above by dojilynn makes good sense. I don't think a "tummy tuck" would offend god, at least I hope not...Sometimes I think there is a big difference between outright vanity, and simiply wanting to feel good about ourselves, comfortable "in our own skin" (pun intended/unintended!) --If you wanted to transform yourself into an Anna Nicole, that would be one thing. But to feel more "yourself" within your own body, that's something else. It's about you, and how you feel about yourself. And in so doing, how you will continue to feel about your relationship with god. I'm not sure whether you would feel that such a surgery detracted from your relationship with Him or not; only you are able to put that into a truly spiritual perspective...

Oh, and for what it's worth: those photos of June on the "Montana/June" thread? I'm really 85 years old!!!!!

--Just kidding!!!

Take gentle care!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Oh, like I said, I'm NOT going to have it done! Never say never, but I certainly don't think so. Again, I don't like pain and discomfort
I can't see "choosing" to have them in a mega way like that!

It is interesting, though, as I said, earlier how your perception changes when you start aging and you look in the mirror and realize you don't exactly look like you formerly did... and you wish you did. (At age 35 or even 45, I didn't understand this.) But now I can understand how some people would have the surgery. Sometimes we don't understand someone having something done that we personally don't need. Does that make sense?
Oh it makes complete sense. It makes sense to want to get back something we once had. It also makes sense to want something we've NEVER had, but always wanted. I have no problem with those that opt for surgery to make themselves feel better about themselves, but not when it becomes and obsessive compulsive kind of thing...I guess kind of like gambling, eh?

Old 10-16-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
This may be from my "June perspective" but I think what is written above by dojilynn makes good sense. I don't think a "tummy tuck" would offend god, at least I hope not...Sometimes I think there is a big difference between outright vanity, and simiply wanting to feel good about ourselves, comfortable "in our own skin" (pun intended/unintended!) --If you wanted to transform yourself into an Anna Nicole, that would be one thing. But to feel more "yourself" within your own body, that's something else. It's about you, and how you feel about yourself. And in so doing, how you will continue to feel about your relationship with god. I'm not sure whether you would feel that such a surgery detracted from your relationship with Him or not; only you are able to put that into a truly spiritual perspective...

Oh, and for what it's worth: those photos of June on the "Montana/June" thread? I'm really 85 years old!!!!!

--Just kidding!!!

Take gentle care!
That's a great perspective, June! And you're so very right!

hmmmm, I wouldn't have guessed a day over 80! Just kidding!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post

--Just kidding!!!

Take gentle care!
LOL! You know those pics of me on the religion forum family album? They were actually taken at my 150th birthday party! I AM taking gentle care! That's why I look so young there!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,577,165 times
Vanity comes under the one of the seven deadly sins called "pride". All of the 7 deady sins tie into each other.The one common factor I see is an obsession with oneself. Its all about me and nobody else nut me.How can you love someone ,when you are wrapped up in yourself? How can you be a sharing person? How can you love God ,when your eyes aren't focused on Him?

Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Something interesting...are there any Christians that would deem plastic surgery as a sin and if so, please give personal or biblical reasons to explain.

Weather...

would the seriousness of the sin be directly proportional to the size of the nose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity