Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times

Advertisements

CONCLUSION

The parable of Lazarus and the rich man, long used by mainstream ministers to teach the reality of "hell," really has nothing to say about punishment or reward in the afterlife. Christ used this story, which fit the common misconception about life after death in his day, to show the fate that awaited the Jewish nation because of the unbelief and faithlessness which led them to reject him as the Messiah. They still suffer from that fate to this very day. Yet the time is soon coming when God will pour on the Jews the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Christ whom they pierced, and they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn (Zec. 12:10).j

LAZARUS AND THE RICH MAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,727,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Thank you for finally answering the question, and although I accept your answer based on your understanding, which is in error.
Promise me, that you will never become a court reporter - because for whatever reason, you do not hear or listen to what others have said.
I hear just fine, including all the "I plead the 5th" comments.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
I could give you many scriptures about the judgement of believers if I had time. I don't know why you equate judgement with condemnation.
I specifically told you the believers will not be condemned, so I am not quite sure what you are referring to here.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hear just fine, including all the "I plead the 5th" comments.
But even if you claim the 1st, you shouldn't go around screaming "fire."
Especially, when there isn't any; for you should never make false statements.

BTW - I have never heard, nor seen a person who died and was buried, talk to that of another from the grave?

Old 08-17-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
BTW - I have never heard, nor seen a person who died and was buried, talk to that of another from the grave?
Jesus preached to the spirits in prison, but if you never heard of Him, then so be it. There seems to be a lot of that going around recently.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Jesus preached to the spirits in prison, but if you never heard of Him, then so be it. There seems to be a lot of that going around recently.
Jesus woke Lazarus out of his prison with a loud voice.

For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

You just do not get the old sleep thing do you?. Even Peter had to be woken out of a sleep when he was in the slammer. Coincidence or scripture repeating an age old truth ?.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Finn Jarber can you explain why the rich man was in torment ?.

What you are saying here( and you do not realize it)is the righteous can see the torment of the unrighteous, that is simply despicable and i would rather be in torment myself with the rich man in the hope i could give him some form of comfort, than be your understanding of righteous and say to him in torment ....would love to help you mate but no can do.

Why you hold to the belief that parables are simple stories you will never understand them, for parables are the exact opposite of a simple story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you believe that those that are asleep can wake up and have conversations with others that have woken up ?.
Finn. Jarber can you respond to these posts. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
The Holy Spirit preached to those in the days of Noah - before the flood, during the construction of the Ark through that of Noah.
Unless of course, you believe the great gulf or chasm could be crossed by those who have died; and were buried or entombed.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,800,486 times
Quote:
Which part of the story suggests the rich man will be there for a limited amount of time?
What part suggests that Dives will be there forever?

Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,800,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Are you saying, chuckmann, that age long correction is a reference to purgatory? I believe that there will be age long correction but I don't believe that this refers to purgatory.

For example, Jesus speaks of the dead being raised and He also speaks of age during correction but purgatory (I think) says that people immediately go to somewhere after death to undergo purification. God bless.
Well, I dont know what to say to you in response.

The soul in seek of purification is a phariseeical construct post Babylonian captivity as expressed some time during the Hasmodian dynasty.

To me, age long correction is beyond dispute. The real question is to me what is the mechanism of such a thing? Is it the purgatory that I was taught as a kid and raised as a strict Catholic? Or is it reincarnation? Or something else I am unable to comprehend?

Or, to throw a bone to the atheists, maybe when the lights go out there is nothing more.

Only one way to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity