Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Not all scientists aqree with you. Many say that Noah's flood did happen. Matter of fact, the author of the article below doesn't agree with you, and his credentials are pretty impressive.
Quote:
I agree with you that there probably aren't many who agree with Brown's theory. But many scientists support the view that Noah's flood did happen.

For me, it doesn't matter who supports it and who doesn't.

It's faith, my friend. If the Holy Spirit said it happened, then it happened. I don't need scientific proof for anything.

Have a good night.

Peace,

Katie
Our ignorant ancestors believed in many fables and superstitions. In fact, the Bible warns that in the latter days . . . (which coincidentally 2000+ years later qualifies as) . . . the majority will be apostate, believe fables, follow an anti-Christ Gospel, idolize the "precepts and doctrines of men," and follow false teachers that tickle their ears, etc. etc. The beliefs you have faith in about God the Father in the majority of Christian churches are apostate . . . they contradict Christ's revelation of our Father's True Nature. That makes them apostate and anti-Christ. I think I will have Faith in Christ as my guide . . . NOT words "written in ink" under the veil of ignorance over the OT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 10:40 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,016,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our ignorant ancestors believed in many fables and superstitions. In fact, the Bible warns that in the latter days . . . (which coincidentally 2000+ years later qualifies as) . . . the majority will be apostate, believe fables, follow an anti-Christ Gospel, idolize the "precepts and doctrines of men," and follow false teachers that tickle their ears, etc. etc. The beliefs you have faith in about God the Father in the majority of Christian churches are apostate . . . they contradict Christ's revelation of our Father's True Nature. That makes them apostate and anti-Christ. I think I will have Faith in Christ as my guide . . . NOT words "written in ink" under the veil of ignorance over the OT.
Strong but true words from you, Mystic. I think it will remain so until the appointed time in which the veil that covers the earth is lifted by the Son and sons of God are revealed. At that time, every eye will see Him. They shall look upon Him whom they have pierced and mourn.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:48 PM

63,795 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Strong but true words from you, Mystic. I think it will remain so until the appointed time in which the veil that covers the earth is lifted by the Son and sons of God are revealed. At that time, every eye will see Him. They shall look upon Him whom they have pierced and mourn.
Thank you, Heartsong. For far too long the churches have masked our evil sinfulness, lack of agape love and savage barbarity under the false belief that it was God's Will and Holiness that demanded our horrendous treatment of His Son in payment or retribution. It was never that. It was allowed by God and endured by Jesus as unavoidable BECAUSE OF our savagery and barbarity and because we "know not what we do." We were ready as a species to learn the truth about God and our real purpose to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't . . . but the savage religious leaders at the time of Christ could never accept it . . . even today religious leaders do not. They want a vengeful, angry, jealous God who exacts punishment and payment for any and every slight or taint to His Holiness and so-called justice . . . as defined by them.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:11 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Well as far as faith goes, the bible commands us to have it. Yes there are many things in the bible that seems far fetched, but if one is going to have faith to believe one part, you might as well have faith to believe the entire thing and believe God protects his word.
I agree. Without faith, the Bible is just another book of fairly tales, so one can understand why it commands that one has faith. But, faith is not a pathway to truth. So, one must ask oneself, if this IS the truth why is faith required?

Quote:
It takes more faith to believe there is no God and we just happened to pop up rather than to belive in a creator and even if there was a big bang, someone had to create the bang.
Actually, most atheists don't have faith, thus the reason we don't believe in any gods. Also, you are an atheist as well. You have no belief or faith in all gods, except the Judeo/Christian god. So the difference is that we simply have no faith in one more god than you.

Quote:
But providing a different perspective on these issues isnt necessarily bad as long as your not here to start drama on every different topic like a certain member who was in-love with COG and H Armstrong used to do here. It also challenges others to actually read the bible in its context and stop relying on there pastor and show themselves approval. In the last year ive seen some things ive been taught is straight tradition in the church rather than what the bible teaches, and i have tried to correct it to the best of my ability.
That is one of my hopes, that Christians will actually read the Bible more, trying to defend their Christianity. I must say that, in most cases, Christians tend to cop out with the aforementioned statements, as I once tried.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
...faith is not a pathway to truth.
Christians believe that He is (the way, the) truth, (and the life) - so we're not going to agree with your assertion here, though you have the right to your opinion.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:07 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,267,838 times
Quote:
Yes, I've read the Bible completely, at least twice, maybe more. Now answer a question for me please. Of all of the proofs that you've found that your god exists, is there one that is objective, verifiable, concrete evidence that you can show me?
My hope is that people will stop depending upon mystical beings and stop working toward living forever in a fairy tale land worshiping an egotistical, maniacal, narcissist, instead, focusing on doing the best they can in the only proven world we have, making it the best we can make it for ourselves and those who follow. I don't mean to be insulting, I'm just being honest. I have nothing to look forward to when leaving this world, nor do I have anything to fear. I'm not afraid that my friends or family will be punished forever in Hell fire or whatever you think is the punishment for not believing.
Hi John,

Why does there have to be an "instead?" Why can't we have both? Isn't it possible to believe in God and His promises and still do the best you can in your daily life?

I have a good life John. I've been very blessed.

I believe I have much to look forward to, and I don't fear death, though I'm not thrilled about the possibility of physically suffering. I hate pain. But if that is how it is supposed to be, then I'll get through it.

You asked about proofs. I suppose I could put some together for you, but would it really matter? I don't think so. I think you've probably seen them all, and all it would do is cause you to dig even deeper into atheism.

Instead, I would remind you of what the great apostle Paul wrote in Romans chapter 1.

19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

All you need to do is look around you. He's there in everything you see.

Have a great day!

Peace,

Katie

Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Christians believe that He is (the way, the) truth, (and the life) - so we're not going to agree with your assertion here, though you have the right to your opinion.
What makes you think that having faith is a pathway to truth?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hi John,

Why does there have to be an "instead?" Why can't we have both? Isn't it possible to believe in God and His promises and still do the best you can in your daily life?
Because, when your objective is to try to "save" everyone, I don't feel that you're doing what's best for them. You might have the best of intentions, but IMO, explaining to someone that they need to forget logic and reason and rely solely on faith, or that their friends and/or family could burn in Hell for eternity, or that if they screw up God might punish you, isn't what's best for anyone.

Quote:
I have a good life John. I've been very blessed.
I have a good life. I've worked hard and treated people the way I feel I would like to be treated. I take credit for the good things I've caused to happen and the blame for the bad things I've done.

Quote:
You asked about proofs. I suppose I could put some together for you, but would it really matter? I don't think so. I think you've probably seen them all, and all it would do is cause you to dig even deeper into atheism.
Yes, it would really matter, or I wouldn't have asked you. You're not going to use THIS cop-out are you?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:14 PM

6 posts, read 4,996 times
gotta be real here, no one was actually around to see the creation of the world to write it down. SYMBOLISM PEOPLE.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:45 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,176,247 times
Quote:
What makes you think that having faith is a pathway to truth?
Oh, scripture.

Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who draws near to Him must believe that He exists and rewards those who seek Him. (Heb 11:6)

“If you abide in my word (believing), you are truly my disciples - you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:32)

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity