Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by kaykay As I understand it Paul has never met Jesus. He could very well be referring to James the Just whom he considered the brother of the Lord.

If I understand it all correctly James was inspired by Jesus.
Paul says that he had direct supernatural encounters ( like a vision or visitation) with Jesus...the first one being on the road to Damascus as recorded in the book of Acts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,236,701 times
I don’t know, there is a big difference between a dream or vision and actually calling someone as important as Christ.
Visions can be interpreted in many different ways, while James actions' are more concrete and provable.
So I'm inclined to believe Paul's comments on James over his visions.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:37 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,284,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Thanks for posting that, Bellinghamite. I had thought about that scripture in Acts but didn't bring it up because I wasn't sure where it was. You have some good Biblical insight for an atheist! You are an atheist, right? I haven't got you confused with someone else on here? (It's exceedingly rare, but kaykay can actually be mistaken!)
Kaykay; I think you passage in the book of Acts you may be referencing is found
in Acts chapter 9 ??
Chapter 9
Saul, going toward Damascus
1 And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest, 2 And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem. 3 And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: 4 And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5 And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man. 8 And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus. 9 And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

is called by Christ to be and apostle
Acts 9:1-10 (KJV)

Old 10-25-2007, 04:22 PM

264 posts, read 695,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Thanks for posting that, Bellinghamite. I had thought about that scripture in Acts but didn't bring it up because I wasn't sure where it was. You have some good Biblical insight for an atheist! You are an atheist, right? I haven't got you confused with someone else on here? (It's exceedingly rare, but kaykay can actually be mistaken!)
Nope. You got the right guy. The rarity of your mistakes is proven once again!

Last edited by Bellinghamite; 10-25-2007 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity