Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2013, 11:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You believe Jesus said "Love your enemies", but He did NOT speak of judgment?
How something is defined, determines its meaning. Perhaps, it's in the realm of how you define judgment verses that of condemnation?
I would say that there is righteous judgment, if one is capable of distinguishing between that which is good and right from that which is not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 12:43 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,963,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How something is defined, determines its meaning. Perhaps, it's in the realm of how you define judgment verses that of condemnation?
I would say that there is righteous judgment, if one is capable of distinguishing between that which is good and right from that which is not.

Beautifully said Jerwade.

God's judgements are rooted in love.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,793,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
No, I do not demand anything from anyone. I've been posting on this forum for years and I'm not an unreasonable person. I only ask people to answer questions that they keep insisting that they have answered, when they have not at all. If someone says "no, I don't know" or "I don't have an answer" or "let me ponder that" or what have you, that's great! THAT is an answer.

But to keep giving vague "answers" that don't even address the question, to me, is NOT an answer and it's not really respectful of the conversation, imho.

Simply saying "judgement" is not an answer, in any way shape or form to the question of:

"How do you RECONCILE Jesus teachings of loving your enemies (and I pointed out all of the scriptures), with the scriptures that are saying that God commanded people to sin by killing, abusing, enslaving their enemies."
That's pretty much what I was saying. No answer will satisfy you.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:09 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,850,404 times
Quote:
We're not playing a game, we're trying to have a conversation.

I am clarifying your beliefs to be sure I understand you. When you say "you already know the answer" that's not helping the conversation flow. I don't like to ASSUME anything.

But, since you don't seem to want to talk of reconciling Jesus teachings with God commanding people to kill others, and you seem to want to talk of judgement... what is the purpose of God's judgements?
I already told you what I believe.

As far as resolving this issue, let me expound on my previous answer. There is a way to live: "Love your enemies". There is also justice/judgment. Jesus spoke of it many times. Luke 17 is one example. It is inevitable. Christians will be spared this judgment, because Christ took it in our place.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I just read Scripture.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:15 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
The cross can never be understood if you believe it was about saving you from eternal hell. Nowhere is this found in scripture.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM

8,186 posts, read 6,963,762 times
Quote:
I already told you what I believe.

As far as resolving this issue, let me expound on my previous answer. There is a way to live: "Love your enemies". There is also justice/judgment. Jesus spoke of it many times. Luke 17 is one example. It is inevitable. Christians will be spared this judgment, because Christ took it in our place.

Now we are starting to get somewhere. I wish you would have expounded about 10 posts ago...

jimmie, you are separating love and judgement. Do you realize this? If God IS love, how can his judgements be SEPARATED from what He is? How can His judgements be rooted in anything else than what he is, which is LOVE?

Remember my last question of "What is the purpose of God's judgements?"
Is it not to produce righteousness? How does committing sin against others produce righteousness??

Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,396,275 times
Quote:

"How do you RECONCILE Jesus teachings of loving your enemies (and I pointed out all of the scriptures), with the scriptures that are saying that God commanded people to sin by killing, abusing, enslaving their enemies."
You can't sparrow, that is why any attempt to answer it is vague at best.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times
Quote:
I just read Scripture.
All the meaning it has, is what men have given it; the dictionary is no different.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You can't sparrow, that is why any attempt to answer it is vague at best.
Nonsense. Our society has laws for everyone's good. When someone breaks the law, they are punished, in hopes they will learn from their mistake. However, some folks never learn, or commit crimes so heinous, they must receive the ultimate punishment.

Through the redemptive work of Christ, God offers His love to all (John 3:16). But, as we see later in that chapter, there are those who reject that love, and remain under God's wrath (John 3:36).

sparrow claims Jesus did away with such thinking as what we read about God's wrath in the OT. That could not be farther from the truth.

Luke 17

26 “Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man. 27 People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

28 “It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. 29 But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

30 “It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. 31 On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. 32 Remember Lot’s wife! 33 Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. 34 I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. 35 Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity