Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJourn View Post
So that means that people can just work a mule to death or exploit animals however the want?

I'm having a hard time thinking of Jesus in a fur coat watching a dog fight and enjoying it.
So where did God get the skins for A&E?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
So where did God get the skins for A&E?...
Since I do not read the bible in the same way as you do, it's irrelevant. I am discussing the contemporary Christian response to the problem of animal cruelty.

I'm not in search of biblical loop holes to justify maltreatment of animals.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm not in search of biblical loop holes to justify maltreatment of animals.
Or, I suspect, justifications for the innumerable biblical examples of maltreatment towards women, "sinners", nonbelievers (and those who believed in different gods), rape victims, slaves, etc.

That's because you are a reasonable, kind, intelligent person.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:56 PM

99 posts, read 107,812 times
ive never condoned any animal cruality just stating what Gods word says.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:06 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Or, I suspect, justifications for the innumerable biblical examples of maltreatment towards women, "sinners", nonbelievers (and those who believed in different gods), rape victims, slaves, etc.

That's because you are a reasonable, kind, intelligent person.
I try to be. I also think that the ways of ancient people were not generally a template of good behavior.

And yes, all of those other things you mentioned too.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
A so-called loving, just God wouldn't create a system wherein 100% of species suffer due to the transgression of .0000000001% of species. When an elephant is hunted down by a pack of lions and eaten from the butt end first, suffering a long while before dying, what was accomplished in God's plan? What was the purpose in allowing such suffering to take place?

Nothing, of course. It has nothing to do with any god. It is simply the way life has evolved. Something must perish in order for something else to live. And that causes suffering. To think that so much suffering takes place in the world by animals, who have no bearing on what mankind does or doesn't do, under a system devised by their creator makes it seem the creator is the epitome of cruel.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:15 PM

796 posts, read 858,761 times
God gave us every animal on earth for our use. We choose to love a cat in our home. We also raise and kill and eat chickens and pig's. It's the way God made it. Now I do take issue with people who make animals suffer. But to kill for food is not a problem what so ever.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
God gave us every animal on earth for our use. We choose to love a cat in our home. We also raise and kill and eat chickens and pig's. It's the way God made it. Now I do take issue with people who make animals suffer. But to kill for food is not a problem what so ever.
The suffering humans inflict on animals is tremendous, no doubt. But it's probably a fraction of what they endure in the natural world on a global scale daily. The oceans alone have so much animal life in them, in which who knows how many millions of organisms are torn apart or swallowed alive each day. Throw in all the wildlife in the non populated areas of the world hunting each other down each day, or dying of disease or thirst or hunger or whatever, and you have an immense amount of suffering. People seem to be focusing on the human caused suffering that animals endure, but there's so much more than that. Most suffering animals endure is not within sight nor sound of any human. Then again, according to many in this thread, they suffer because of what man did shortly after creation, so accordingly all suffering may be attributed to men.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
The suffering humans inflict on animals is tremendous, no doubt. But it's probably a fraction of what they endure in the natural world on a global scale daily. The oceans alone have so much animal life in them, in which who knows how many millions of organisms are torn apart or swallowed alive each day. Throw in all the wildlife in the non populated areas of the world hunting each other down each day, or dying of disease or thirst or hunger or whatever, and you have an immense amount of suffering. People seem to be focusing on the human caused suffering that animals endure, but there's so much more than that. Most suffering animals endure is not within sight nor sound of any human. Then again, according to many in this thread, they suffer because of what man did shortly after creation, so accordingly all suffering may be attributed to men.
11thHour?...I have that game...On the above, this reminds me of the South Park episode where the animals were treated better than humans to the point where PETA(?) was intermarrying with animals and having offspring...

Old 06-23-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post
While I agree with you logically...I still would have to "flip my switch" to even kill an animal for food...Just like in Desert Storm, I found killing another human distastful, however, it was my logic that readied me for the possibility of neccessity to do so...God created every animal for a purpose, the clean ones for food and the unclean ones for keeping the planet clean...For example, look at the mess our oceans are in because we humans have a taste for oysters and clams (which filter contaminated water through themselves and output clean purified water), they are at times over fished...And example of Savannah, GA, where my wife is from, said that years ago a certain sea-life was over-fished to the point where the city had to put a ban on it for a time until the population came up again, for that time it was illegal to fish that particular sea-life and a fine was imposed on those that ignored the statute or ban...Funny thing is, my wife said she noticed, and other also, that the waters around where they over-fished, and diminished the population, was murkier than normal and contaminated...Mere coinsidence?...Or did the over-fished sea-life have a particular God designed task?...Over the years of the ban the water became clearer and uncontaminated...Of course the notice of it passed the attention of the City Councel, but not hose that have a faith in God and realize that there was a designed task for the sea-life that was over-fished...I just asked my wife, it was crabs and shrimp, the ban of crabbing lasted several years...I watched a cooking show where the contestants had to get there own sea-food and grill it for the competition, each one had a guide to help them and one of them had to go and collect his own oysters for grilling and the guide took him to an isolated area where as soon as they stepped from the boat they were standing on oysters, that is how many there were around that little known area, so the population was huge, and the guide told him that the waters in that small inlet was the purest water around he said that the oysters took in contaminated brackish water and filtered it out as pure clean water...Coincinence?...Or are they doing what God had designed them to be?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity