Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered why animals must suffer since they are not accountable to God and not guilty of sin. Does anyone have any insight into this matter? It grieves me to know about the suffering of animals. They are subjected to be hunted, raised and killed for food, tormented by pests in the wild, subjected to starvation, cold, and even subjected to the cruelty of humans who abuse them at times. Why must this be so? Is it irrational for me to feel sorrowful about things like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
People say this and that to make their dirty and bad actions to look righteous. Putting a god to say "that is ok and meant to be" is just as empty bull as everything else what comes to religions. Women have no rights either. That is men who wrote a fairytale book to abuse others. That is my honest opinion, sorry if it hurts someones feelings. But your religions and rules also hurt me, don't forget that. 1-1 situation.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 AM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I have often wondered why animals must suffer since they are not accountable to God and not guilty of sin. Does anyone have any insight into this matter? It grieves me to know about the suffering of animals. They are subjected to be hunted, raised and killed for food, tormented by pests in the wild, subjected to starvation, cold, and even subjected to the cruelty of humans who abuse them at times. Why must this be so? Is it irrational for me to feel sorrowful about things like this?
It is not irrational . . . it is a sign that your agape love for all life is very strong. That is a good thing.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with wishing for a better world! If we cannot dream of a better world, how will we ever build one?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:19 AM

817 posts, read 739,849 times
Quote:
You ask a very good question HeartSong!

I've also wondered at times why a loving God, who can do anything, would want to create a natural world where animals are brutal to each other as well. For instance the way a pack of wolves will hunt and devour their prey together.

I've come up with answers for this...which can explain it within the theology itself, but not in any satisfying way when it comes to Universal love.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWitnesses View Post
You ask a very good question HeartSong!

I've also wondered at times why a loving God, who can do anything, would want to create a natural world where animals are brutal to each other as well. For instance the way a pack of wolves will hunt and devour their prey together.

I've come up with answers for this...which can explain it within the theology itself, but not in any satisfying way when it comes to Universal love.
Ditto. It's the one question that really throws a monkey wrench into things and messes with my head. It. sometimes even becomes a deal-breaker in the constant struggle in my own mind between atheism and theism.

The only thing I can come up with, Heartsong, is that God isn't a micro-manager. Perhaps it is simply by virtue of God's very existence that the universe came into being and the processes by which life developed and the consequent outcomes were not God's "plan" but simply what had to be because God IS. The fact that God is love assures that the final outcome will be in harmony with love, because love is the most powerful force influencing all of us.

Maybe it's something akin to a birthing process. The contractions necessary to birth our children are incredibly powerful, thus often painful in our experience. We suffer, but the end result is incredibly joyful and transcendent. Brings to mind that passage in Romans: For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

Just my thoughts.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
The reason for all bad things in our world is Original Sin, Genesis 3. Our world is broken, and will remain so until the New Heaven and New Earth spoken of in the book of Revelation.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:53 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The only thing I can come up with, Heartsong, is that God isn't a micro-manager.
But I like to think He is, if He cares about the sparrow as well as you and me.

I'm increasingly of the belief that man is to be His agent in this world, if we would come into our place in Christ. In the order that Adam was the governor of the Garden, we've got a bigger plot of land and more of us to govern. Creation is groaning for who? That's right, the sons of God.

But instead of reigning, we're floundering - a sermon for another Sunday.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:59 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
But I like to think He is, if He cares about the sparrow as well as you and me.

I'm increasingly of the belief that man is to be His agent in this world, if we would come into our place in Christ. In the order that Adam was the governor of the Garden, we've got a bigger plot of land and more of us to govern. Creation is groaning for who? That's right, the sons of God.

But instead of reigning, we're floundering - a sermon for another Sunday.
Hi Elmer. I agree that God loves all creatures. But that doesn't mean he has to be a micro-manager, does it? If man is to be God's agent, why would he micro-manage? Wouldn't that defeat his purpose?

Old 06-15-2013, 09:27 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The reason for all bad things in our world is Original Sin, Genesis 3. Our world is broken, and will remain so until the New Heaven and New Earth spoken of in the book of Revelation.
And who killed the first animal in the garden of Eden?
A: The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. Genesis 3:21

And whose sacrifice to the LORD was found to be acceptable?
[1] Cain, the vegetarian: In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the Lord.
[2] Abel, the animal slaughterer: Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock.
A: (drum roll please ...) The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering Genesis 4:4

And yet who does God curse for being the murderer .... Cain, the vegetarian !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity