Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 07:58 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it is easier to just accept what is taught as the truth. seeking the truth requires work, and many people don't want to do that type of work. it is easier to go to church on sundays, listen to the guy/gal on the stage, and then go eat with the family. no real thinking required. just patience as the person on stage delivers a message.
I agree wholeheartedly. I wish I could rep you a hundred times. Whether it's in my Evangelical church or my parents' Catholic church, it's just easier to go to church and go through the motions.

I have a family member that has told me on a number of occasions that he thinks the Catholic church has a lot of issues. He actually left it a couple years ago. He was ready to start attending a Lutheran church....but when push came to shove, he was just plain comfortable in the Catholic church after decades of time spent there. He just didn't want to deal with changing, and learning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM

796 posts, read 859,048 times
I suppose not many people would feel comfortable setting down with their pastor or teacher and showing them from scripture why you think they were wrong on something.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,929,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
it is easier to just accept what is taught as the truth. seeking the truth requires work, and many people don't want to do that type of work. it is easier to go to church on sundays, listen to the guy/gal on the stage, and then go eat with the family. no real thinking required. just patience as the person on stage delivers a message.
Oh yeah, biblical study seems like such a trying, boring thing to people. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm interested in the OP's perspective on which denominations might do this. It's my opinion that all denominations have elements of impurity in them; the only pure doctrine is the one of Scripture and all the denominations are interpretations of it. What I love about my denomination is their doctrine of Christian Liberty and Liberty of Conscience: God is Lord of the conscience. If you come to an understanding of God's word through diligent study of it, don't listen to those other man-made doctrines! That is God speaking to you, and His word is always before that of any man-made tradition.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Oh yeah, biblical study seems like such a trying, boring thing to people. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I'm interested in the OP's perspective on which denominations might do this. It's my opinion that all denominations have elements of impurity in them; the only pure doctrine is the one of Scripture and all the denominations are interpretations of it. What I love about my denomination is their doctrine of Christian Liberty and Liberty of Conscience: God is Lord of the conscience. If you come to an understanding of God's word through diligent study of it, don't listen to those other man-made doctrines! That is God speaking to you, and His word is always before that of any man-made tradition.
Why worry about denominations "do this?" I'd rather hear about denominations that teach Christian Liberty.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM

889 posts, read 825,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why worry about denominations "do this?" I'd rather hear about denominations that teach Christian Liberty.
Christian liberty? That's a secular political term. We have Christian liberty. It's called Sola Scriptura. Hence, the 30,000+ dominations. Jesus created His one Church. He wanted unity. His Church is still there but folks have their opinions and their will.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM

796 posts, read 859,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Christian liberty? That's a secular political term. We have Christian liberty. It's called Sola Scriptura. Hence, the 30,000+ dominations. Jesus created His one Church. He wanted unity. His Church is still there but folks have their opinions and their will.
Your so right. The church Jesus built is still here. We have never gone away and never needed any organization outside what was given to exist. We survived the Roman church trying to kill us off when they came to power and created that organization to hold people in bondage.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 PM

889 posts, read 825,899 times
The first and only job of the Church is spread the Gospel to the corners of earth and protect the deposit of faith. There are over a billion Catholics today. Tens of billions since the time of Christ. The faith is still here today even after almost 2000 years of people trying to screw it up including a few popes. I'd say they did a pretty good job.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
If you believe today's Roman Catholic Church even remotely resembles the beliefs and values of the early Christians, then you don't know much about the history of Christianity.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:45 AM

13 posts, read 8,961 times
I personally attend a Calvary Chapel church and my pastor teaches strictly Scriptures. We love Bible study and we all look forward to any type of fellowship together and discussions of Scripture and what we've witness God doing in our lives. Our pastor is very much so a part of our lives outside of the church service or building. We are all like one family. He encourages us to always seek truth and if what we find we don't understand or contradicts Scripture pray that He'll reveal it to you. It's never failed for me. We do not push tithe and offering on everyone as a matter of a fact there's a locked box in the back of our church that you drop your tithe or offering in. He doesn't get paid for being pastor and he's very self sacrificing to maintain everything for the church. He helps clean he pays for some of the churches bills out of his own money from his job. God is really using him and he is yielding to Him. He doesn't care about pleasing the people by their own selfish mindsets and desires if it contradicts Scripture. Doesn't care if you like what Scripture says or not he's not going to beat you down for it. Either you'll eventually understand with love, kindness, and education. Or they'll eventually leave on their own. I love my local church family and I do believe he hears from God and that God appointed him and not man. The main thing I can attest to in my church is the presence of truth and love.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,824,295 times
Catholic Christians check their brain at the door - Few question anything. If you ask the average Catholic - What is the immaculate conception - they will say it is the conception of Jesus Christ. A simple dictionary will tell you it is the conception of Mary his mother. I am sure that church authorities know that most of their members think this- Yet they never correct them. They just let them go on their merry way thinking the wrong things.

You have to have basic knowledge of the history of Christianity to understand it. I really believe few understand Christianity. If they understood it Christianity would have had a stronger and better effect on the world. For some reason the faith is backwards and myth contained in Christianity is more popular that the reality of the mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity