Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 08:40 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,029,981 times

Advertisements

Do any of you have any scriptures that show that we are only to engage in procreative sex. In other words even if a man and a woman are married, do the scriptures show they can engage in sex other than for the purpose of procreation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 08:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Do any of you have any scriptures that show that we are only to engage in procreative sex. In other words even if a man and a woman are married, do the scriptures show they can engage in sex other than for the purpose of procreation?
The apostle Paul was unmarried. His belief was that it was good to be celibate and unmarried--you have more freedom to serve God if you don't have to worry about providing for a family. But that isn't for everyone, so he wrote this:

1 Cor 7
"2 But because of immoralities, each man is to have his own wife, and each woman is to have her own husband.
3 The husband must fulfill his duty to his wife, and likewise also the wife to her husband.
4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.
5 Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer, and come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
6 But this I say by way of concession, not of command. "

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,603 times
Quote:

True Jehovah God wanted the world to be populated, by means of MARRIED people ,through sexual intercourse. But he being a good and loving God ,(1John4:8,Psa. 145:8,9). Jehovah wants a married person to enjoy themselves sexually, not holding back themselves from each other ,( 1Cor. 7:3-5 Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency).though not saying the word sex, this scriptures speaks of a married couple ,(Pro. 5:17-20 Let them be only thine own, and not strangers' with thee. Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy the eat all times; and be thou ravished always with her love. And why wilt thou, my son, be ravished with a strange woman, and embrace the bosom of a stranger?). basically take pleasure in your wife. peace

Old 07-05-2013, 07:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
I have no problem with the expression of natural gifts, like sexuality. Do not be unequally yoked. If you treat me good, I'll treat you better. Stay with your commitment, stay with your gifts, and know you answer to your partner as well as
G-d. If there is abuse, stay away. Otherwise the marriage bed is undefiled.

What truly concerns me is when we legislate or try to otherwise moralize something like intimacy. Should we really have 2.5 children? Do we really need something to tell us how, when, and why to do something? How about itching? How do we scripturally deal with those embarrassing noises we make? I can't imagine legalism getting this deep or people getting this caught up on something so free and natural. Let yourself be your partner's breath of fresh air and know your commitment to G-d and each other allows this.

Last edited by Kin Atoms; 07-05-2013 at 07:45 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 07:49 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,329 times
Quote:

As someone said, in 1Cor7 it says that in order to satisfy your lust, you have to marry instead of burning with lust.
1Co 7:9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

These may not be so direct, but I think we all know what they mean, right?

Deu 24:5 If a man has recently married, he must not be sent to war or have any other duty laid on him. For one year he is to be free to stay at home and bring happiness to the wife he has married.

Ecc 9:9 Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun—all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:51 PM

45,575 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Song of Solomon??

Old 07-06-2013, 12:25 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Song of Solomon??
Meaningless to human sexuality! We must trust the classic Catholic Church's (and some protestant denomination's) interpretation and fear all things sexual! Song of Solomon is only a metaphor for Gods love for us!!...

....BAHHAHAHAHAHA! I can't believe that use to be the teaching. What were they thinking?!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Meaningless to human sexuality! We must trust the classic Catholic Church's (and some protestant denomination's) interpretation and fear all things sexual! Song of Solomon is only a metaphor for Gods love for us!!...

....BAHHAHAHAHAHA! I can't believe that use to be the teaching. What were they thinking?!
No...Song of Solomon was all about a man getting busy with his wife on the wedding night. I don't have that type of sexual relationship with Jesus. It just isn't right to compare them.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
No...Song of Solomon was all about a man getting busy with his wife on the wedding night. I don't have that type of sexual relationship with Jesus. It just isn't right to compare them.
I agree, though if taken as one big story rather than a collection of individual stories as many scholars believe, not everyone agrees they were married. I hope you realized that I was joking in the previous post.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
You can never read the Bible through the lens of America's 21st century hyper-sexualized culture where just about everything can have a sexual connotation.

As for Song of Solomon, I believe its about the love of a husband and wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity