Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

794 posts, read 846,480 times

Advertisements

When I say baby Christians I am referring to believers who do not understand the context of scripture. When the context of scripture is avoided or unknown to a believer it can cause a baby Christian who is well meaning but preach the word of God in such a way that it actually causes people to flee from God instead of come to God. I saw this happen on the news recently where a preacher was arrested in London for saying to pedestrians that homosexuality is a sin, making statements such as "I don't make the rules! The bible says it is wrong!" And while this preacher was well meaning, this kind of "preaching" will never lead a soul to God especially in this day and age. If anyone wants to go out on the street and start preaching the word of God the first thing they need to understand is that God does not categorize sinners. Everyone suffers death because of Adam's sin, not their sin. That is why no matter how people live their lives, whether they believe in Jesus or not, do right or not, give it all or give none at all, everyone dies eventually. Many believers think God considers one sin worse than the other, such as murder over lying. To us anyone would clearly say that murder is worse than lying. However before Jesus died on the cross God saw the whole world, despite how good or bad everyone was, as sinners. There was no one sinner a worse sinner than the next person because people did not become sinners because they sinned. Everyone was made a sinner because Adam sinned. Jesus made this very clear:

Luke 13:2-3 "Jesus answered, "Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans because they suffered this way? 3. I tell you, no! But unless you repent, you too will all perish."

Sin (verb) is nothing more than a manifestation of sin (noun) that all humans are. Unfortunately there are multitudes of believers who do not see it the way God does. They think its right to preach condemnation instead grace. The more someone preaches condemnation the less people will come to God. The more you preach grace the more people will come to God. Why? Because condemnation disqualifies everyone because we have all sinned. Grace qualifies everyone because Jesus' righteousness has made us all righteous in the eyes of God. I believe hundreds of thousands if not millions of people are avoiding God, His word and Jesus because they have this bondage in their mind birthed from condemning words of baby Christians, that tells them how disqualified they are before God. They feel like they have to make up for their sins or start living religiously and many of them know they have a past full of sins, so they just give up on the whole thing. All because they had Jesus presented to them in the wrong light and context.

The problem is that there is a severe lack of grace in the pulpit today. They are preaching far too much fire and brimstone causing people, especially the young people, to rebel against God. What they need to do is start telling unbelievers God loves them. Start telling all the people that religion rebukes that God's grace is for them and they can come to God just as they are. Grace does not disqualify anyone. It puts all of us on equal ground. Grace is for the undeserving, the unqualified and the ungodly. Grace is what causes unbelievers to repent, believe upon Jesus and change their lives to be in harmony with the Holy Spirit. God does this righteously because Jesus has put the whole world on favor ground by His once and for all sacrifice. Lets start telling those religion has unqualified for God's love that God really does love them despite of their past or who they are or what they have done. Lets start telling people Jesus loves them unconditionally and wants to be their friend and savior. Lets start telling everyone who feels unqualified for God's love that God has already qualified them to receive all that He has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:01 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
This happens to baby Christians when someone explains a clear contradiction to the doctrine being taught as a matter of "context," and then produce a convoluted explanation that has nothing to do with the verse in question. I see this quite often here.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM

123 posts, read 166,470 times
Interesting post... I agree that it's God's grace that leads men to repent:

Romans 2:4 - Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

However, they still need to know they are sinners. Although I'm sure there are many who believe they are sinners and feel nothing but condemnation, I believe there are more that think sinners are people like axe murderers, Osama bin Laden, Hitler, etc. Most people do not realize that one sin separates them from God and sends them to hell. Or that their thoughts alone condemn them.

Before I believed, I thought my good deeds outweighed my bad deeds, so God would judge me on a curve and find that I was more righteous than unrighteous. Not until God lifted the veil did I realize my desperation and inept ability to please Him. No amount of good deeds will ever wash away my sin. Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Still, I think you bring up an excellent point. I think there needs to be a balance of pointing out one's sinful nature (not individual sins) and grace.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM

794 posts, read 846,480 times
Point people to the cross and not to their sins. When they see the cross they will see their sins punished in the body of Jesus and this will cause a person to be born again. I don't think anyone can ever come to fully believe God loves them if someone out there is always yelling to their face a certain sin in their life is, well, a sin. I think we should instead point people to Jesus, who bore all of our sins in His body. That is why the bible says as He is so are we in this world. If God sees Jesus without our sins right now, likewise He sees us without sin. This doesn't mean there is not sin in our lives. It means God honors the work of His son by seeing us righteous because Jesus gave us His righteousness.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
As in life, everyone who is "Born Again" in Christ, is reborn as a 'baby Christian.' The length of time one remains a 'baby Christian' ... is determined by their willingness to 'submit to God' and be changed by the indwelling Holy Spirit ('being transformed by the renewing of our minds.')

I've known 'baby Christians' who, 15-20-years after receiving Christ as their Savior, continued to ask the same questions and have the same issues ... as when they were first 'saved.' They were aware of God's Word and presence in their lives, but, were never willing to let go of 'self' and cling to God.

Peter is a good example of this transition -- During the 3.5-years he walked with Christ on earth, Peter fluctuated between depending on Christ ... and depending on himself. After Christ's resurrection, Peter fully gave-up 'self' and learned to live in Christ's power (as evidenced on the 'day of Pentecost).

Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM

796 posts, read 858,591 times
Moderator cut: delete
This is a common place where satan is able to get a foothold in the life of a baby Christian as you call them. Someone not grounded in God's teachings and revelations He has given us in His written word. Be bombarded by the workers of satan challenging them with trick questions to make the questions what God has said like "how can 2 people committed to a loving relationship be sin". Once we mature in Christ we see people for what they are and can spot them right away. Our society want's to make it wrong to call them on it and teach what God considers sin.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-11-2013 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: do not try to hijack this thread into a homosexual one.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balunman View Post

This is a common place where satan is able to get a foothold in the life of a baby Christian as you call them. Someone not grounded in God's teachings and revelations He has given us in His written word. Be bombarded by the workers of satan challenging them with trick questions to make the questions what God has said like "how can 2 people committed to a loving relationship be sin". Once we mature in Christ we see people for what they are and can spot them right away. Our society want's to make it wrong to call them on it and teach what God considers sin.
How do define being mature in Christ ?. Being familiar with what you believe is correct bible doctrine or righteous living ?.

And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and confidence for ever Isaiah 32:17

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-11-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Grace is abused big time, so you pretty much have to point out why any type of sin needs to be repented of.

The GRACE GRACE GRACE type messages that people like Joseph Prince teaches can be good, but can also take away from the fact that God commands obedience out of his people. You need grace because you are sinning, but if you atleast try to follow Gods commands and live a holy life, atleast when you mess up that is where Gods grace for your sins come into play.

Rather than sin at free will and just say im not under law, but grace. Constant condemnation does lead people to Christ, but you have to at least show in scriptures how they are accountable for sins why any one would want to repent and why they need a savior.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Point people to the cross and not to their sins. When they see the cross they will see their sins punished in the body of Jesus and this will cause a person to be born again. I don't think anyone can ever come to fully believe God loves them if someone out there is always yelling to their face a certain sin in their life is, well, a sin. I think we should instead point people to Jesus, who bore all of our sins in His body. That is why the bible says as He is so are we in this world. If God sees Jesus without our sins right now, likewise He sees us without sin. This doesn't mean there is not sin in our lives. It means God honors the work of His son by seeing us righteous because Jesus gave us His righteousness.

I wish all who love God but misuse the Bible to beat other people up could understand they are not on the right path.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM

398 posts, read 698,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

I wish all who love God but misuse the Bible to beat other people up could understand they are not on the right path.
Agreed. Sad that something so simple as teaching Jesus' loving message can be distorted into justification for so much barbarity and misguided acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity