Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM

794 posts, read 848,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This is the kind of expression that leads to misunderstanding the faith/works question. The Christian life is a life of good works because Christ has raised up to Himself a people who are eager to do good works. The rest that we have is from doing works such as works of the Law in order to obtain salvation (Hebrews 3 and 4). It is not a requirement as you have noted, but it is an indicator, and without that indicator one should seriously examine the nature of his commitment.
But if those good works are done by your self efforts and not a manifestation of resting in the finished work of Christ they are nothing in the eyes of God. God rejected the works of Cain's hands but accepted the faithful sacrifice offering of Abel. Bring all your self efforts to God and none of it will please Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,959,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
But if those good works are done by your self efforts and not a manifestation of resting in the finished work of Christ they are nothing in the eyes of God. God rejected the works of Cain's hands but accepted the faithful sacrifice offering of Abel. Bring all your self efforts to God and none of it will please Him.
Excuse me, what is the difference between being "eager to do good works" and "self efforts?"

As I see it, the only question to be concerned about is whether we think we are earning anything but possibly crowns to offer Jesus. Anything else is just a stumbling block to our eagerness. And , once again, if we are NOT "eager to do good works," we need to examine the nature of our commitment.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:23 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,379,087 times
Quote:
Excuse me, what is the difference between being "eager to do good works" and "self efforts?"

As I see it, the only question to be concerned about is whether we think we are earning anything but possibly crowns to offer Jesus. Anything else is just a stumbling block to our eagerness. And , once again, if we are NOT "eager to do good works," we need to examine the nature of our commitment.
It seems to me that any good work done simply out of love and gratitude and for no other reason cannot be comprehended by those who claim to 100% believe the bible.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:25 AM

796 posts, read 860,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
They are hey and stubble and shall be burned.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:51 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,940,992 times
Quote:
Perhaps "eager to do good works" is that sort of characteristic which comes about when the believer has accepted the gift of faith, has put away their old self, and now every sin is filled with such distaste that he only wants to do good things? And then the "self efforts" is someone who perhaps wants to believe but hasn't received faith from the Holy Spirit, so they are doing the good works of their own effort so to speak, without God's help? It seems to me they would both be seen as good works, just the motivation of it is what is in question.

I don't think romans is saying that it's perfectly fine for a person to just believe and not do any good works (though from my biblical understanding that would be perfectly fine, it would just not be possible); I think he's saying that when someone believes, they are not going to be able to stop themselves from doing good works because God has changed their heart in such a way that that is all they're going to want to do (*want* to do--though because of still being in the flesh, that will still get in the way of being perfect of course).

I think the good works are important, it just where they originate from. And who can really tell why someone does good things? Certainly none of us.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,959,660 times
^ And that is why I continue to emphasize the point that one should examine his commitment if he is NOT eager to do good works. Continual emphasis on the idea that works is not required for salvation should always include that point. The idea alone is often used to excuse unproductiveness.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:27 AM

796 posts, read 860,589 times
Seems this topic has shifted to that of another on-going thread. As I always say (as God's word clearly say's) works are the result of salvation not the cause of it. If we have made that commitment and obtained salvation we will do good works. Simple as that. If we do good works to gain salvation then we remain lost and our work shall be burnt up as the worthlessness it is to God.

I have not problem with (and often do) our examining ourselves to see if we are doing what is expected of us and doing it for the right reasons. We do it to be seen of man then we already have our reward and will receive none from God. If we do it as unto God, not letting the left hand know what the right hand does or not seeking or doing it where others will recognize us for it, then we will be rewarded by God.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:09 AM

9,699 posts, read 10,057,972 times
Like in 1 Corinthians 3: 1-3...``I could not speak to you as to spiritual, but as to canal, even as to babes in Christ...I have fed you with milk, and not with meat , for here to you were not able to bear it neither though now are you able .......For you are still carnal for there is among you envy, strife, and divisions , are you not carnal , and walk as men?.```................... See weak developed Christians will fall back to the ways of the world as the sin of the world continue to be part of some of their lives and not redeemed in Christ .............As the passions of being pruned of sin has not come from God which is part of ministries for Christians as Holy spirit needs obedience to resist sin for Him to abide in believers or constant sin will interfere with the Works of Christ ...........As some preachers who have never been pruned of sin in the understanding of righteousness can be an ear sore for many Christians who do find their wholeness in Christ ............... As some carnal preachers do preach divisions and strife and do not see anything wrong as they can invite the spirit of antichrist and other demons into the church fully undiscerning ..............Will have some righteous Christians headed for the door to the church down the road ................ I have seen churches where the Wednesday prayer meeting was dreaded by righteous Christians as the carnal prayer meeting would invite demon to bother people who were righteous but did not even go there that night , as people prayed out of the will of God and became a witchcraft prayer meeting .................See were the condemnation in the church was established as a custom of the doctrine of the church would bring people cramps in people legs that came from the war pigs demons which were attracted by the condemnation against others .................. Then as babes in Christ who attended church through the lives came to their old age where they should of prepared a place even closer to God in their old age , where these old babes in Christ walked away from God and back to the world and never went to church again ................. See there are many hazards of living the babes in Christ carnal life , as God need faith to bring his grace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity