Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,823,021 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My cousin and I occasionally swap books and she recently gave me a copy of a Macarthur bible commentary (Daniel). I enjoyed it to a certain extent, but there were some parts that I thought were just... well... weird. I would like to read a similar series but maybe without some of the political, apocalyptic stuff? Any suggestions? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 08:07 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
It's been said that the Bible often sheds great light on the commentaries.

Commentaries (Macarthur and hundreds of others) are written by Bible scholars/groups to provide insights into the Bible. Many Study Bibles (NIV, Life Application, other) do likewise. It's important to remember that the Bible, not commentaries, is inspired. However, while there is some variation between commentaries, most are surprisingly similar.

With regard to apocalyptic 'stuff,' much of Daniel, Revelation and other books focus on the End Times. Thus, commentaries on those books/sections also deal with 'apocalyptic stuff'. If this is your first exposure to commentaries, I would suggest that you start with the book of John and use the Bible, rather than the commentary, as your primary source of information.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It's been said that the Bible often sheds great light on the commentaries.

Commentaries (Macarthur and hundreds of others) are written by Bible scholars/groups to provide insights into the Bible. Many Study Bibles (NIV, Life Application, other) do likewise. It's important to remember that the Bible, not commentaries, is inspired. However, while there is some variation between commentaries, most are surprisingly similar.

With regard to apocalyptic 'stuff,' much of Daniel, Revelation and other books focus on the End Times. Thus, commentaries on those books/sections also deal with 'apocalyptic stuff'. If this is your first exposure to commentaries, I would suggest that you start with the book of John and use the Bible, rather than the commentary, as your primary source of information.
Well, gee, thanks, but actually I have read the entire Bible several times. That's why my question was not about recommending to me that I read the Bible. I enjoyed the commentary because it gives some insight on the history, some comments, some insight on the language, stuff like that. Sometimes that can deepen your understanding and make you enjoy and think about what you are reading in the Bible. But for example, this particular book was written 20 or 30 some years ago, and so the author was sort of reaching over what is the next great "empire" to conquer the world and fall, and his guess was... the future European Union! Hehe I think we all know how that powerful empire turned out... I also found it weird that he kind of ignored the extremely powerful empire that is the U.S. and saw Europe as sinister but I digress. Anyway, I thought that was sort of goofy and unnecessary. There was also some other goofy stuff in there that sort of ruined it for me, but I don't want to get into political issues, I just want an informative, apolitical work.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:19 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
http://www.concordant.org/online/Con...20the%20NT.pdf

Here is a commentary of the NT. It is PDF format.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:55 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Junk. Stay away from MacArthur. He's a Calvinist nutjob.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
At least he has one thing right. He knows that the modern tithe takers are fleecing the flock. But he rarely speaks on it because he does not want to upset his Calvinist buddies who rob the church goers via the tithe.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Pretty judgmental of you.

--------------------------------

RC Sproul's Geneva Bible is pretty good.
Ryrie Study Bible is good.

I would suggest reading as much without the commentaries as you can.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:

Maybe if you actually studied Calvin you'd understand him better...

Old 08-03-2013, 10:20 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
At least he has one thing right. He knows that the modern tithe takers are fleecing the flock. But he rarely speaks on it because he does not want to upset his Calvinist buddies who rob the church goers via the tithe.

Yeah...

Old 08-03-2013, 10:44 AM

Sheesh, this seems more complicated than I thought. I just wanted some insights and stuff like "well this word means THIS in Aramaic," stuff like that...

Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity