Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 05:41 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,793,470 times

Advertisements

Dear God:

For all my life I have been told that if I am not right with You not right with my fellow men, that I will suffer eternal damnation, burning forever in that lake of fire. I have found that to be off putting, to the point that I turned away from you for many years. When I did return, I returned as a universalist, believing there is no hell. not as portrayed by those who preach it. However, lately I have been having second thoughts.

As You know, God, I suffer from diabetic neuropathy. At its worst, I feel like someone is pounding nails through my back. At best my skin tingles, and not pleasantly. Painkillers dont work. I have had limited success using rubbing alcohol and Capzasin (consider it Icy Hot on steroids) but much of the time I am incapacitated by the pain.

It has occurred to me that nerve pain such as I suffer is a far more effective threat than fire and brimstone. I confess I am starting to believe in neuropathy as the mechanism of Your punishment.

Just a suggestion from Your humble servant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
I am sorry for your pain. I know that just grinds you down.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:53 PM

198 posts, read 262,943 times
Your second thoughts are the Holy Spirit convicting you. Believe what he says. Who would want to be in pain, die in pain, and have everlasting pain. I'm glad to hear you're having second thoughts on your beliefs. Keep studying and seeking him, and he will reveal himself to you.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I am sorry for your pain. I know that just grinds you down.
I'm sorry, too, Chuckman. I hope you are able to find relief.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I hope there is something out there that will bring you relief from the pain you live with every day.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
There are new discoveries in pain relief every month.

If you have not considered a certain, now-legalized-in-two-states-herb, I suggest you do. No promises - but it may lighten your burden.

I hope you find something that does.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,550,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Dear God:

For all my life I have been told that if I am not right with You not right with my fellow men, that I will suffer eternal damnation, burning forever in that lake of fire. I have found that to be off putting, to the point that I turned away from you for many years. When I did return, I returned as a universalist, believing there is no hell. not as portrayed by those who preach it. However, lately I have been having second thoughts.
I think you should consider the Grace of God. Eph 2:8-10

Quote:
As You know, God, I suffer from diabetic neuropathy. At its worst, I feel like someone is pounding nails through my back. At best my skin tingles, and not pleasantly. Painkillers dont work. I have had limited success using rubbing alcohol and Capzasin (consider it Icy Hot on steroids) but much of the time I am incapacitated by the pain.

It has occurred to me that nerve pain such as I suffer is a far more effective threat than fire and brimstone. I confess I am starting to believe in neuropathy as the mechanism of Your punishment.

Have you considered seeing a physician?

God's grace and taking advantage of modern medicine is a wonderful thing. Unless you are into guilt and self-flagellation.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,542,823 times
Quote:
Dear God:

Stop punishing yourself or thinking that God uses that problem to punish you. Jesus is the healer not the punisher to those who come to Him. His said to "Ask much that your joy might be full." He healed all who came to Him. Come much to Him in prayer and asking the Holy Spirit to supplicate for you that you might abide in Him. His presence brings right relationship to Him, others and health. Disputes over doctrine settles nothing but His presence solves all ills.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:58 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Dear God:
God's main attributes include: Love, Justice, Wisdom and Mercy and Not unjust or unrighteous punishment.
If hale-and-hearty Adam had not broken God's law, wouldn't Adam be alive on Earth today in perfect human health and vitality having a sound heart, mind and body ?_________
Once Adam broke God's law he lost his healthy human perfection leading to his death.
Adam, as our then imperfect family head, then passed down to us his then acquired sick human imperfection.
So, if you want to think of any one as a mechanism of 'Your' punishment insert the name 'Adam' instead of 'Your' for God.
You might also want to insert 'Satan' because he challenges all of us according to Job 2 vs 4,5.
If ' a ' man [ meaning all of us ] are involved in his challenge. Touch our ' flesh ' [ health ] and we would curse God.
Both suffering Job and Jesus proved Satan to be wrong and so can we.
Jesus will undo all the damage Satan and Adam brought upon us when Jesus ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.- Isaiah chapter 35; 11 vs 6-9
See: Isaiah 33 v 24 because at that time "No one will say, 'I am sick'."
Even our last enemy will be brought to nothing according to 1st Cor. 15 v 26 which names our enemy as: death.
That is why Revelation 21 vs 4,5 can say both pain and death will be no more.
Death on Earth will be swallowed up forever - Isaiah 25 v 8
' Times of refreshing and restoration ' [Jesus 1000-year reign over Earth ] will be soon coming.- Acts 3 vs 19,21.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Dear God:

I am so very sorry for your suffering! I cannot imagine that kind of constant pain.

I'm also sorry others have preached a doctrine of hell-fire and damnation to you "all your life"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity