Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,950,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought so, too. We Episcopalians have a sick sense of humor.
Hmmmmmm, do you suppose I picked it up while attending an Episcopal congregation?....... Nah, it was sick before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 10:48 AM

123 posts, read 166,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
The NLV translation of this verse is highly inaccurate. The words "God, kingdom, hell" are not in that verse. This verse is not referring to salvation. It is referring to our life on Earth, what we reap and sow. If this verse were referring to salvation it would contradict everything else Jesus and all of the apostles said about salvation. Remember John saw a multitude of people in Heaven that no man can number. In the old testament people were numbered in the millions. Today, men have numbered people in the billions. How many people do you suppose will be in Heaven?
I'm not sure why you're arguing with me, since we believe the same thing. I disagree with your interpretation. Jesus IS the narrow gate by which we enter heaven.

Peace...

Old 08-13-2013, 01:20 PM

794 posts, read 848,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
I'm not sure why you're arguing with me, since we believe the same thing. I disagree with your interpretation. Jesus IS the narrow gate by which we enter heaven.

Peace...
Not disagreeing with our same faith, just how we interpret this particular verse. If this verse is talking about salvation then Jesus will not be glorified in His second coming. If only few will be saved, then Adam's sin has more power than Jesus' righteousness. Not only that, it negates the power of God's grace as demonstrated throughout the entire bible. I do not believe Jesus died so that a few would be saved. I believe far more will be saved than won't be.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought so, too. We Episcopalians have a sick sense of humor.
Attending a service with the sick-sense-of-humor Episcopalians just got put on my Bucket List.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
This is up for interpretation.

What Jesus intended to do is irrelevant because a good God also provides salvation to those that never knew Jesus true intentions. Good Jews and Muslims also go to heaven. You are actually preaching religion; the recycled words of pastors that influenced you.
No I am preaching biblical truth. The bible does not say good people go to Heaven. It says those who believe in Jesus go to Heaven and those who don't are God's enemies. Jesus said there is not one good person in this world. No amount of good we do makes us righteous or a good person. If it did, then what purpose does Jesus' sacrifice have for us? You have a universalist approach to God and the problem with universalism is it devalues Jesus and His sacrifice.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:05 PM

123 posts, read 166,746 times
Quote:
Not disagreeing with our same faith, just how we interpret this particular verse. If this verse is talking about salvation then Jesus will not be glorified in His second coming. If only few will be saved, then Adam's sin has more power than Jesus' righteousness. Not only that, it negates the power of God's grace as demonstrated throughout the entire bible. I do not believe Jesus died so that a few would be saved. I believe far more will be saved than won't be.
Hmmm... OK... well, I believe the opposite, but I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Just look how many people reject Jesus. Far more than believe, so I'm not sure why you think more people will be in heaven than in hell. Don't want to hijack this thread though.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:30 PM

198 posts, read 263,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
You only need to genuflect when Jesus is present in the tabernacle. The Baptist church doesn't have a tabernacle NOR the real presence of Jesus Christ, therefore you will NEVER need to genuflect in a Baptist church.
Wait......did you say the Baptist Church doesn't have the real presence of Jesus Christ? Am I to assume you believe His presence is only in the Catholic Church?

Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
Wait......did you say the Baptist Church doesn't have the real presence of Jesus Christ? Am I to assume you believe His presence is only in the Catholic Church?
Don't feed the troll.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnNative View Post
Hmmm... OK... well, I believe the opposite, but I hope you're right and I'm wrong. Just look how many people reject Jesus. Far more than believe, so I'm not sure why you think more people will be in heaven than in hell. Don't want to hijack this thread though.
More people are getting saved today than ever before in history. Salvation is such a simple thing to receive. You only have to believe in Jesus and His once and for all sacrifice. Its easy to see the big crowd of non believers over the believers, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a huge multitude of believers alive today, not to mention the huge multitude that has passed on. The context of the verse is supported by the entire chapter it is in. Salvation is not mentioned at all in the chapter. It all points to this life.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,366,045 times
Quote:
No I am preaching biblical truth. The bible does not say good people go to Heaven. It says those who believe in Jesus go to Heaven and those who don't are God's enemies. Jesus said there is not one good person in this world. No amount of good we do makes us righteous or a good person. If it did, then what purpose does Jesus' sacrifice have for us? You have a universalist approach to God and the problem with universalism is it devalues Jesus and His sacrifice.
Have you read The Sermon of the Mount?

What is Jesus saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity