Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:40 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,466,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Christians have the Holy Spirit residing inside them.

Jesus said "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." Matthew 18:20
Far be it for me to attempt to explain since I'm an Atheist, but I was raised in the Anglican Church.....

Catholics believe just the same as you do regarding Matthew 18:20.

BUT when there is a consecrated host present (blessed wafer = the body of Christ) it is the same as having Christ's PHYSICAL presence.

It's not denying your beliefs, it's more like an addition to them.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM

I would add....

As was already mentioned, there's no need to genuflect whenever there is no consecrated host in the sanctuary such as on Good Friday.

So much so do Catholics believe that the consecrated host IS the body of Christ, even the crumbs of the hosts are treated as the physical body of Christ. One does not throw the crumbs in the garbage or anywhere else. They are (including any wine which is the blood of Christ) returned directly to the ground.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM

452 posts, read 711,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Far be it for me to attempt to explain since I'm an Atheist, but I was raised in the Anglican Church.....

Catholics believe just the same as you do regarding Matthew 18:20.

BUT when there is a consecrated host present (blessed wafer = the body of Christ) it is the same as having Christ's PHYSICAL presence.

It's not denying your beliefs, it's more like an addition to them.

Posted with TapaTalk
Thank you for the reply! We, as Christians, heed the warnings about adding to the Word. We don't, ever, believe that Jesus needs to shed his blood over and over again, which, from what the priest I spoke with regarding catholic communion and what it was supposed to mean, explained to me.

As Christians, we see no need for Christ to re accomplish His work on the cross, and we're told to "Do this in remembrance of me". This is an observance, not eating Christ's flesh in actuality.

The teaching that Christ actually resides within a piece of bread is of man, for man. There is no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.

I find it odd that people (not referring to you, just chatting with you) will believe the rituals and teachings of man, supercede the Word of God.

I've not delved extremely deeply (maybe a year's worth of study) into the RCC. It's obvious that the two have nothing in common with each other.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,480,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Today me and my boyfriend attended a funeral and wake service for a friend who died due to cancer. When we got to the pew he genuflected. Is this common only among Catholics? the service was in a Baptist church and we are both Catholic.
Anytime I see iddy post I get out the popcorn.

If you both were proper Catholics (having had catechism), you would know the answer to this already.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post

As Christians, we see no need for Christ to re accomplish His work on the cross, and we're told to "Do this in remembrance of me". This is an observance, not eating Christ's flesh in actuality.

The teaching that Christ actually resides within a piece of bread is of man, for man. There is no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.
Not every priest will explain things correctly.

There is scriptural basis for the Eucharist.

Jesus told the disciples after blessing the bread and wine to take it, eat and drink it in remembrance of him. He called the bread and wine his body and blood.

They are simply following his words. They are doing it in remembrance of him just as he said his followers should do.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,550,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
What does genuflect mean? If it is what I think it is- why is it given such a stupid name?
To bend the knee in reverence or worship.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
I was taught.....

Sit to listen
Kneel to pray
Stand to sing or praise

That was the general rule of thumb

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-12-2013, 09:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
Direct from the Latin for the action.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,379,308 times
Catholics are traditional and some genuflect and even do the sign of the cross when they find themselves in a Protestant church. The anti-Catholic Protestant folks don't like any tradition.

But, in the end: Who cares! Let them genuflect, no one gets hurt.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,550,070 times
All this bias of Catholic vs. Protestant is not of God. Jesus resides in a believer wherever he goes. It is written , "He who confesses that Jesus Christ has come to earth in the flesh is born of God." The Jews and the Samaritans were also religious bigots toward one another but Christ set them/us strait with strait talk.

JN 4:20 "Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and you say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
JN 4:21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe Me, the hour comes, when you shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
JN 4:22 You worship you know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
JN 4:23 But the hour comes, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in Spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him.
JN 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity