Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 12:23 PM

123 posts, read 166,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
More people are getting saved today than ever before in history. Salvation is such a simple thing to receive. You only have to believe in Jesus and His once and for all sacrifice. Its easy to see the big crowd of non believers over the believers, but it doesn't change the fact that there is a huge multitude of believers alive today, not to mention the huge multitude that has passed on. The context of the verse is supported by the entire chapter it is in. Salvation is not mentioned at all in the chapter. It all points to this life.
Still, it says that few find the path to the Kingdom. I still believe it IS speaking of salvation, but we can agree to disagree.

I hope you're right and there are more people in Heaven than Hell at the end of time, but I still don't see that happening. There are more people being saved today because there are more people on earth than ever before. Still, there are about 2 billion people who claim to be Christians today. That's around 33% of the population. And we know that not all that claim to be are true Christians. This coupled with Matt. 7:13-14 is why I don't think there will be more people in Heaven than Hell, but hope I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Today me and my boyfriend attended a funeral and wake service for a friend who died due to cancer. When we got to the pew he genuflected. Is this common only among Catholics? the service was in a Baptist church and we are both Catholic.
This is the only post I've read so far. So, maybe I'm jumping the gun but I want to say something.

I may be wrong but I think the reason for the genuflection among Catholics, traditionally, has been rooted in the high alter where the tabernacle holding the host was located. Similar to entering a parish church, dipping fingers into the holy water, and doing the sign of the cross while bowing to one knee.

I was raised Catholic (born 1971) in a parish church that had the high alter, communion rails, and actually looked like a Catholic church. Not some of these things being passed off today as Catholic churches.

So, that my guess and assumption why some Catholics genuflect right before entering pews.

The genuflection, like the sign of the cross, is not something you traditionally see Protestants doing.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Far be it for me to attempt to explain since I'm an Atheist, but I was raised in the Anglican Church.....

Catholics believe just the same as you do regarding Matthew 18:20.

BUT when there is a consecrated host present (blessed wafer = the body of Christ) it is the same as having Christ's PHYSICAL presence.

It's not denying your beliefs, it's more like an addition to them.

Posted with TapaTalk
Thanks for helping to explain. Ironically, sometimes it's probably good to have atheists around. Had I mentioned the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus in the Eucharist it would have came across more as an ad hoc, biased, apologetics.

(I remember being an alter boy and after pouring white wine and water into the priest's chalice, later lifting up on my toes to look into the chalice, illusion or not, my eye almost went like this -> <- when I saw red wine in the golden chalice)

Old 08-14-2013, 08:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,463,112 times
White wine and water????

My church always used Mogen David red Passover wine.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-14-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeannaC View Post
Thank you for the reply! We, as Christians, heed the warnings about adding to the Word. We don't, ever, believe that Jesus needs to shed his blood over and over again, which, from what the priest I spoke with regarding catholic communion and what it was supposed to mean, explained to me.
That's not what a priest explained to you. And if he did put him in contact with me. It's one sacrifice. As God could come as man that same God has the power over time and space. God therefore is not subject to the laws of nature (ergo, Christ's miracles--which violate the laws of nature within the laws of physics and chemistry).

During the consecration of the host time collapses to Calvary.

And the sacrifice of the Mass and the Eucharist are not "adding to the Word." For one, the Word incarnate is the Eucharist. Secondly, its following what was handed down by Scripture and the Apostles.

Quote:
As Christians, we see no need for Christ to re accomplish His work on the cross, and we're told to "Do this in remembrance of me". This is an observance, not eating Christ's flesh in actuality.
So, Protestants carry out a meaningless tradition. For the sake of ritual and tradition.

Quote:
The teaching that Christ actually resides within a piece of bread is of man, for man. There is no scriptural basis for it whatsoever.

I find it odd that people (not referring to you, just chatting with you) will believe the rituals and teachings of man, supercede the Word of God.

I've not delved extremely deeply (maybe a year's worth of study) into the RCC. It's obvious that the two have nothing in common with each other.
The teaching is not that Jesus "resides" in a piece of bread, no more than describing Christian belief in Jesus as "God residing" in a mass of flesh not His.

The Eucharist is body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus.

As for your second paragraph you just admitted to performing rituals in remembrance of Jesus. You can't remember Jesus otherwise?

Anyways... do you know what "circular argument" is? An example of it is arguing the bible is the word of God because the bible says its the word of God. The bible was composed by men. Catholic Bishops taught that the bible though written by men was inspired by God. So, you honor biblical scripture precisely because of the "teachings of man" that you abhor so much.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... you've felt the Holy Spirit in you and so have I and every other Jew, Muslim, and Hindu. You don't see Sufi mystics running a mad dash to receive instruction and conversion from you do you?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
White wine and water????

My church always used Mogen David red Passover wine.

Posted with TapaTalk
Yeah, I remember it was white wine. Actually, if I remember correctly, we used white wine quite a bit.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post

So theoretically if the Imam decides to do all the Rakkats for Maghreb Prayer and chooses to recite the longest Surat (Plural of Surah) we could be sitting for 6 hours or longer.

!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,546,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
As God could come as man that same God has the power over time and space. God therefore is not subject to the laws of nature (ergo, Christ's miracles--which violate the laws of nature within the laws of physics and chemistry).

During the consecration of the host time collapses to Calvary.
Very well said. I was brought up Protestant but understand that there is nothing wrong with how Catholics explain things. The wine and bread do represent the actual presence of Christ.

1COR 11:29 "For he that eats and drinks unworthily, eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body." If the Lord was not actually present in this most mystical way then we would not be condemned if we take it lightly.

It seems we need to stop arguing over this issue. Even if one does not understand perfectly, you can be sure God understands perfectly each sincere desire to honor Him whether we come from a Catholic background or Protestant one in this issue.

Last edited by garya123; 08-14-2013 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2013, 10:39 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,908,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
This is the only post I've read so far. So, maybe I'm jumping the gun but I want to say something.

I may be wrong but I think the reason for the genuflection among Catholics, traditionally, has been rooted in the high alter where the tabernacle holding the host was located. Similar to entering a parish church, dipping fingers into the holy water, and doing the sign of the cross while bowing to one knee.

I was raised Catholic (born 1971) in a parish church that had the high alter, communion rails, and actually looked like a Catholic church. Not some of these things being passed off today as Catholic churches.

So, that my guess and assumption why some Catholics genuflect right before entering pews.

The genuflection, like the sign of the cross, is not something you traditionally see Protestants doing.
I believe that it does have to do with the tabernacle. I didn't think Protestants genuflected but wasn't sure since I readily admit I don't know much about most Protestant churches.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:44 PM

889 posts, read 826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
He is not present in tabernacles made with hands but rather in His Body of believers wherever they are. It is written, "Whoever confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is born of God." We may believe many things differently but Christ has made it clear who is born of God and therefor we should have respect for one another in honoring Christ.

HEB 9:24 "For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into Heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
HEB 9:25 Nor yet that He should offer himself often, as the High Priest entered into the Holy Place every year with blood of others;
HEB 9:26 For then must He often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world has He appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself."
The Catholic belief goes back to the beginning of Christianity. Just read John 6 and the writings of the early church fathers. Your belief is a consequence of Sola Scriptura which has caused nothing but the division of His Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity