Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:13 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

I've been simply too busy to do much more than lurk these days myself, but I've been pulled away from the topic of the 'hereafter' in favor of what God is wanting/doing with us today. It seems tragic to be so consumed with what's going to ultimately happen to people that we miss the opportunity to be a part of their path today, imo.

Anyway, I have a vision (or strong opinion) of what is going on with the planet today, and it certainly involves those who are called - I'll try to put those thoughts into a thread of its own.

BTW - unitarians aren't Christians; universalists who believe God purchased mankind with the blood of His Son, are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,019,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For the benefit of others who seem misinformed about the Christian Universalists on this forum . . . speaking for myself I am not defined by the Unitarian Universalist sect. I am a follower of Christ who rejects ANY special status in the eyes of God . . . but I follow Christ's commands to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't, period. Everything else is human vanity and hubris having no real import to God or my spiritual maturity. I revere the Sermon on the Mount and 1 Cor 13 as descriptive of the "mind of Christ" and use it to gain inspiration from the scriptures by asking WWJT. I KNOW God IS agape love of all life and that anything incompatible with agape love is NOT of God, period. This definitely eliminates any eternal torment or eternal damnation of any kind as of God. Reaping what we sow is more than sufficient to my sense of justice and love.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,462,453 times
I don't fellowship in an organized way. I have bible study almost weekly with my kids and wife. I would love to fellowship in person with others. When I run into other Christians, we talk about stuff, I really enjoy talking about Christ.
I don't miss going to church. And I don't like the title universalist because the church system has created a box to put us in, and assume that a universalist believes XYZ. I just tell people I believe that what Jesus did was enough for everyone.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:08 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For the benefit of others who seem misinformed about the Christian Universalists on this forum . . . speaking for myself I am not defined by the Unitarian Universalist sect. I am a follower of Christ who rejects ANY special status in the eyes of God . . . but I follow Christ's commands to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't, period. Everything else is human vanity and hubris having no real import to God or my spiritual maturity. I revere the Sermon on the Mount and 1 Cor 13 as descriptive of the "mind of Christ" and use it to gain inspiration from the scriptures by asking WWJT. I KNOW God IS agape love of all life and that anything incompatible with agape love is NOT of God, period. This definitely eliminates any eternal torment or eternal damnation of any kind as of God. Reaping what we sow is more than sufficient to my sense of justice and love.

Ditto.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:36 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It seems to me that I don't see as many of the usual universalists posting on this forum as I did in the past. I don't know if they are lurking or have moved on. However, I'm interested in how Universalists these days fellowship as it seems many of us don't really have a denomination or a gathering (church) that we attend.

My main draw here to this forum is mostly for my universalists brethren who I gain insight from. So where are many of you universalists finding great discussions/edification these days?
I'm still lurking around here:

Forum

I think virtually everything has been said on the topic, so it makes no sense to have the same discussion over and over again; I only post in the forum above if I or others made new findings, e.g. new linguistic or historic evidence related to the topic or if new members join there.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Well, what about Jesus saying that you must be born again? What is the significance of Christ dying on the cross to Universalists?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:56 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
Well, what about Jesus saying that you must be born again? What is the significance of Christ dying on the cross to Universalists?
To this universalist Jesus was saying that we need to form a new life based on different perceptions from the natural man. Jesus sacrificed his life to demonstrate the futility of law both to judge mankind and to make man into a righteous person, then He ROSE to show His victory over death and show the power of the love that He taught as the new basis for community. Why do so many people stop at the cross?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:27 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
To this universalist Jesus was saying that we need to form a new life based on different perceptions from the natural man. Jesus sacrificed his life to demonstrate the futility of law both to judge mankind and to make man into a righteous person, then He ROSE to show His victory over death and show the power of the love that He taught as the new basis for community. Why do so many people stop at the cross?
You shouldn't stop there. But you do have to get there first and accept His grace through his substitution for us. He said that He was God, not just a prophet or teacher. He said he was the Son of God.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:54 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
You shouldn't stop there. But you do have to get there first and accept His grace through his substitution for us. He said that He was God, not just a prophet or teacher. He said he was the Son of God.
Sorry, but "penal substitution" is a barbaric theory of the mechanism of atonement and casts aspersions on the nature of God. It is no way to "get to" the cross, much less get past it.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,636,718 times
I believe it's the Holy Spirit that bears witness to me that Universalism is a Satanic lie. I believe all born-again believers are anointed with the truth that Hell is indeed real and eternal. I do not believe universalists are Christian as a whole, but it does not matter what I think.

It matters what GOD thinks. Does GOD see you as a Christian? We're told to check ourselves to make sure we're in the faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity