Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Jesus was sent to remind sinners that sin is sin and no matter what priest said that didn't change because they also were sinners being man. His purpose was forgiveness and renewed faith. The healings where part of that faith renewal .He full knew the value in talking about those that had witnessed and those who heard as passed on and the faith that required. Faith was the purpose since it had been loss as to what God's will is.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:37 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Again, Jesus never said only the Pharisees would be offended, He said everyone who does evil will hate the light.

Those people who have never been drawn out of the darkness will not understand until it happens. I hated the light, every mention of Jesus annoyed me, but in the end I realized He just wanted to help.
"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them"

Do not spit on the hand which offers to draw you out of the darkness.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
Quote:
Seems some people are doing a fine job showing how they get offended when someone mentions the good news. Why else would they be here ridiculing and mocking people who talk about their salvation?
There is recorded two other attempts on Jesus' life prior to being crucified, the towns people from Nazareth and Capernaum.

And when one thinks of all the Jesus' miracles that he preformed, it's not surprising that many had the same pcamp's type opinion of Jesus as "the most wonderful man that ever walked the face of the earth". And yet what Jesus do:
"Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent."

Old 07-22-2015, 04:36 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
There is recorded two other attempts on Jesus' life prior to being crucified, the towns people from Nazareth and Capernaum.

And when one thinks of all the Jesus' miracles that he preformed, it's not surprising that many had the same pcamp's type opinion of Jesus as "the most wonderful man that ever walked the face of the earth". And yet what Jesus do:
"Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent."
Ok, what was it about the good news of comfort and joy, that he who came preaching peace to those who were afar off and those who were near, who went around doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the beliefs of men who knew not God, that those who heard him marveled at the gracious words that came out of his mouth........ that offended you? That if you didn't believe that he loved you, you were eternal damned

The same question is for all who believe the good news is offensive

Old 07-22-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post

And He gave this instruction to His disciples on how to deal with towns and villages who were offended by the Gospel:

"As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'"
"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town."

He knew better than anyone that many would be offended by the Gospel. After all, He was the Rock Of Offense.

What does it take for people to get offended? Tell them "'the kingdom of heaven has come near". Be careful, they might kill you. ISIS certainly would. Of course you can tell them anything about the Gospel, and the reaction will be the same. Even Merry Christmas does the trick these days, and only because it is associated with Jesus. Jesus Himself never said Merry Christmas, although it would have been cool if He had .

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-22-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 04:56 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
I do not know why people here think He was referring to Pharisees only, when Jesus never said 'everyone who does evil'. I did evil, but I sure wasn't a Pharisee. I didn't even know what a Pharisee was. Do they think Nicky Cruz was a Pharisee? He was a street gang member in NYC?
Personally I was not even offended by any 'hard teaching', but simply by the fact that the light exposed my broken soul.
I am encouraged by this witness, brother. Any way we are touched by God is blessed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What light exposed your brokenness? Being told that you were going to hell if you didn't believe that Jesus is your savior? Something else? Can you be specific at all about what the light was that exposed this to you?
I would like to know the answer to these questions as well, Pleroo.

Old 07-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
And He gave this instruction to His disciples on how to deal with towns and villages who were offended by the Gospel:

"As you go, proclaim this message: 'The kingdom of heaven has come near.'"
"If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town."

He knew better than anyone that many would be offended by the Gospel. After all, He was the Rock Of Offense.

What does it take for people to get offended? Tell them "'the kingdom of heaven has come near". Be careful, they might kill you. ISIS certainly would. Of course you can tell them anything about the Gospel, and the reaction will be the same. Even Merry Christmas does the trick these days, and only because it is associated with Jesus. Jesus Himself never said Merry Christmas, although it would have been cool if He had .
It would greatly help if you told us what it was about the good news that offended you. The link to the thread you provided where you claim you said what offended you gives us no clue to what offended you, because you do not state anything on that thread that offended you, you just stated that truth offends. What truth offends ?. It will help this discussion if you are adamant that you were offended by truth, for the sake of the thread to share what it was that offended you, otherwise it is just a one sided discussion.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am encouraged by this witness, brother. Any way we are touched by God is blessed.
I would like to know the answer to these questions as well, Pleroo.
I actually thought he healed the broken hearted not offended them. I think what he actually means and is totally in line with evangelical teaching and beliefs, is he was convicted by God that he was a sinner(which is probably what offended him) and was left with a choice to believe in Jesus and be forgiven of his sin or reject him, but know for sure he will be damned to eternal hell.

So it appears he offends you that he might heal you. Thank God the world does not operate like that.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What light exposed your brokenness? Being told that you were going to hell if you didn't believe that Jesus is your savior? Something else? Can you be specific at all about what the light was that exposed this to you?
If you have read the thread, you know I have explained it in many different ways, and I have specifically said that it has nothing to do with hell. The 'light' is used a lot in the Bible.

God is light; in him there is no darkness at all

Jesus is light: The true light, which gives light to everyone, was coming into the world

Truth is light.

Many things are light.

Like I have repeated 10-15 times, the light makes evil doers uncomfortable. Worse, they hate the light, because it exposes the darkness of their hearts.

I asked you if you can explain why Nicky Cruz threatened to kill Wilkerson when he said Jesus loves you. Can you explain it? No, you cannot, but Jesus talked about the offense and hatred the Gospel would trigger in many people. You are not able to understand it. Otherwise you would not keep denying.

Obviously you have not experienced this, so I do not blame you for not understanding.

Was it the fact that I did not believe Jesus was real? No, that would not be offensive, I would have shrugged and walked away. It was the opposite, it was the fact that suddenly I knew He WAS real, and that He knew everything about me and what I had done, and about my weaknesses, insecurities, helplessness and unhappiness. He even knew my thoughts. He was looking straight into my soul. He blew my cover. He also made me realize that if I humbled myself, He would make all those things go away. It violated my pride and it was very offensive. Again, I do not blame you for not understanding.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM

I can very well understand the good news of peace, comfort and joy being a stumbling block or even foolish, because man thinks himself so insignificant in the grand scheme of things and if he does have a belief in God he sees himself as a worm in his sight. So yea good news being a stumbling block or foolishness sounds about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity