Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,542,911 times

Advertisements

what are Christians opinions of DAYSTAR tv preachers Hal Lindsey and Jack Van Impe

and radio show host Jan Markell (all 3 of whom preach on bible prophecy)

just curious what fellow christians (and non-christians) think of them and why

Last edited by billiefan2000; 10-10-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
I presume you are referring to their public and sometimes flamboyant style ... which may lead some who are not interested in End Time Prophecy or in studying the Bible -- to view Christians as gullible or willing to believe outrageous things. However, one cannot dispute the fact that these men have faithfully and persistently spread their view of God's Word ... with all of the resources available to them.

When I ran into Hal Lindsay's books about 25-30-years ago (Late Great Planet Earth, Satan is Alive and Well, etc), I thought, "These claims are incredible --Do they have any basis in truth?" So, I began to study End Time scripture for myself. I discovered that almost all of Lindsay's claims were solidly rooted in scripture. Although I may not agree with all of his conclusions, I find little fault with his logic or reasoning. The same can be said of Perry Stone, Grant Jefferies, Jack Van Impe, Tim LeHaye and others.

I believe that Christians should more seriously consider the End Times ... or MORE important, think about the response to this information that God seeks from faithful believers. In short, I believe that God has given all believers (of all times) an equal reason to live their earthly lives with a sense of urgency toward reaching out to a lost and dying world. (Unfortunately, far too many seem focused on dates and events, instead of on God's truth and purpose). The fact is that we are all living in our own 'End Times' and will one day give an account of our lives on earth, before God.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:04 AM

I agree jghorton that Christians need to spend more time thinking about the End Times

most churches wont even preach on bible prophecy anymore.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM

400 posts, read 601,671 times
Honestly, the only preacher you mentioned that I have heard of is Hal Lindsey and that was from 30 or 40 years ago. For me, eschatology is but one minor aspect of my walk and I don't want to get wrapped up focusing on it inordinately.

I once did a lengthy college study on millennial views and they all end up in the same basic place, so I decided not to worry about what events and in what order they have to occur.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:45 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,417 times
most get it correct after it happens. they see an event, the they point to the scripture. they are suppose to do it backwards. point to the scripture, then tell of the event. I think that those guys are a little crazy. but, just like anything else, it brings in the ratings, so they stay on. people like to know the future. I know one thing about the future. Jesus will put down all enemies. whatever happens before that does not matter to me.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:16 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,184,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
what are Christians opinions of DAYSTAR tv preachers Hal Lindsey and Jack Van Impe

and radio show host Jan Markell (all 3 of whom preach on bible prophecy)

just curious what fellow christians (and non-christians) think of them and why
Not familiar with Jan Markell. I only know the name of Hal Lindsey...haven't read much from him.

Jack Van Impe I'm most familiar with and I'm not impressed. I think he sees things that aren't necessarily there and he tends to encourage reading the Bible in one hand, and the newspaper in the other. If a congregant came to me and asked me about him I'd caution them.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,135,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not familiar with Jan Markell. I only know the name of Hal Lindsey...haven't read much from him.

Jack Van Impe I'm most familiar with and I'm not impressed. I think he sees things that aren't necessarily there and he tends to encourage reading the Bible in one hand, and the newspaper in the other. If a congregant came to me and asked me about him I'd caution them.
According to JVI

"The Detroit car show is a sign Jesus is coming"

I was rolling when I heard him say that years ago, apparently all the technology must have blown his mind in these cars.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:32 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,175,293 times
I believe teaching (and focusing) on bible prophecy is dangerous to say the least.

(Right or wrong) because so much can be - and I believe is - spiritual in nature, trying to interpret it can be "putting God in a box" at best and missing entirely what He is doing in the earth, and in His people at worst.

And when they're wrong, it makes God look bad to the world.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

Olive Tree Ministries with Jan Markell is Markell 's website if u wanted to know

what do u think of Van Impe 's opinions on Rick Warren and Bill Hybels cause he is no fan of them and the seeker-driven movement

Old 10-10-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe teaching (and focusing) on bible prophecy is dangerous to say the least.

(Right or wrong) because so much can be - and I believe is - spiritual in nature, trying to interpret it can be "putting God in a box" at best and missing entirely what He is doing in the earth, and in His people at worst.

And when they're wrong, it makes God look bad to the world.
why?

2 Timothy 4:3-4 and Matthew 24:24 are bible prophecy verses and talking about that at least dont make bible prophecy dangerous

I only say that cause many so-called prophets in the NAR movement (as it's called) get snippy and angry to say the least about Matthew 24:24 for some reason

hmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity