Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 10:27 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurph View Post
Then you know that Constantine changed by civil decree the biblical 7th day Sabbath from the 7th day to the 1st day to appease the pagan sun worshipers.
Who cares and what does it matter? For those of faith, does it really matter which day is the venerated their God?

For those of us who are not of faith, we really don't care.

But to reiterate, for those who do feel that it is important to worship one day a week, it really doesn't matter which day of the week that occurs. What is important to those of faith is that the worship does occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 11:13 PM

112 posts, read 117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Who cares and what does it matter? For those of faith, does it really matter which day is the venerated their God?

But to reiterate, for those who do feel that it is important to worship one day a week, it really doesn't matter which day of the week that occurs. What is important to those of faith is that the worship does occur.

Which god do you serve?

Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Which god do you serve?
As I stated, those of us who are not of faith we really don't care.

What part of that statement makes you think there's any god that needs serving?

Faith is only the belief in the unbelievable. Typically that would include figures like Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the tooth fairy.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:25 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
The NT is based off the OT, so for Yeshua to mean YAH is Salvation makes perfect sense. How in the world would a man with Hebrew parents that is from the Hebrew tribe of Judah, end up with a Latin/Greek name of Jesus. That is like a African naming their child Hong Li Chung. We have the name of Jesus because that is the name the Europeans wanted us to have. I refer to him as Jesus because that us what is in my bible and I grew up learning, but after looking into the name, I will not discredit his actual name ( Yahushah/Yeshua) when he walked this earth either.
Again--the only place we see his name actually printed...it's in Greek. I don't feel I have the authority to go and change that.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:55 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,472,089 times
Catholics can attend Mass on Saturdays.

Mass goes on every day of the week in Catholicism. Sunday is the one they must at least attend. If they can't make Sunday Mass they can go to a Saturday Mass (in the evening I think).

But Mass goes on 7 days a week in Catholicism.

I forget exactly why but I think Sunday was chosen in some relation to the Resurrection of Jesus.

Anyways... this whole "Sun-day" think is stupid. You people in the West use Arabic numerals from the Muslims and doubt many of you critics of Catholicism know that or cease using your "Muslim numbers."

Arabic numerals are as Muslim as Sunday is pagan. Geez.

(The calendar you follow is the Gregorian Calendar named after a Pope and produced by the Catholic Church centuries ago--so, stop using the calendar then if you think Catholicism is sooooo "pagan.")

Old 10-16-2013, 01:07 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
We rid ourself of the 'church' more than three years ago.

You would too if you ever did a historical study of the church.

We home studied until we outgrew the last group we were in. We met on sabbaths and for the first two years we went through the entire bible, cover to cover, extensive and exhausting studies, 7-8 hours long.

We have visited a messianic assembly, and for the most part we are comfortable there but they are over an hour away.

Right now we are just enjoying our Sabbath rest at home.

Why do you assume I go to church and why do you assume I haven't studied the history of the church?...You seem to be young....

Old 10-16-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Sabbath Roots -- The African Connection

by Richard Nickels

Black Africans have a unique proclivity toward accepting the seventh-day Sabbath. Historically, Ethiopia, and many other parts of black Africa have been bastions of Sabbatarianism. Their isolation, for centuries, from the corrupting influence of Rome has allowed Africans to maintain much spiritual independence. Today, Christianity in general, and Sabbath-keeping in particular, is exploding in sub-Saharan Africa.

Charles E. Bradford, author of Sabbath Roots: The African Connection, brings to light many surprising historical facts. Those of us who have been schooled in European civilization may be shocked to realize the existence and widespread nature of unvarnished Christianity in black Africa, for centuries. About 340 million Africans profess Christianity. According to reliable estimates, Africa has the world's largest concentration of Sabbath-keepers, some 20 million people, of which only about three million are Seventh Day Adventists. The Sabbath is natural to black Africans. God is doing a work in Africa!
Ethiopia Equals Sabbath-Keeping

Ethiopia (Abyssinia) is a nation defined throughout its existence by its fidelity to the seventh-day Sabbath. Today, the numbers of Sabbath-keepers are exploding in Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Gabon, Congo, and elsewhere. Why? Because of the work of missionaries in the 1800s? No! The Sabbath is thriving in Africa because the Sabbath roots of Africa run deep, both in Scripture, and historical practice.

Psalm 68, the Pentecost Psalm, we read, "Princes shall come out of Egypt; Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands unto God," verse 31. And, she has, and is, responding to the Almighty. "When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called My son out of Egypt," Hosea 11:1. "From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia My suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring Mine offering, Zephaniah 3:10. (Zephaniah may have been of African descent, because he was the son of Cushi, a code name for a descendant of Cush, son of Ham.) "Also the sons of the stranger . . . every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of My covenant; Even them will I bring to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My house of prayer," Isaiah 56:6-7.

African-American preachers have long emphasized the importance of Ethiopia in the plan and purpose of God. For them, the Abyssinian Church is the Church in the Wilderness through which God had maintained for Himself a witness down through the centuries. Egypt is mentioned in Scripture 611 times; Ethiopia 20 times. Egypt figures prominently in the plan and purpose of God, Isaiah 19:24-25. Ethiopia and Egypt are representative of the entire African continent. For the Ashanti (Akan) of Ghana, Saturday has been the traditional holy day, a day of worship of God. Among the Yorubas of Nigeria, the seventh day of the week has been a day when no work, no marriage, no festivities, should be performed. There is no record at any time in the history of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church that they have officially given up the Sabbath. Another group of Ethiopians, the Falasha, or "Black Jews," hold to a form of Old Testament religion that was dominant in Solomon's days.

There is a natural God-consciousness among Africans, both in Africa and in the "diaspora," or dispersed. With its theme of deliverance from slavery, justice, and righteousness, the Old Testament looms large in African thinking. Modern white, liberal, theology is foreign to the black mind, which usually take the Bible literally, and religious beliefs seriously. One does not go to Africa only to preach the Gospel; he goes to learn about the Almighty.
Racial Origins: One Source, One Place

What is the origin of the races? While some aspects may be shrouded in mystery, Bradford argues for a monogenetic (single source, single place) origin of mankind and the races, in Africa. Assyria in Mesopotamia, understood to be a northeast extension of Africa, is called in the Bible, "the Land of Nimrod [son of Cush],". In the "Table of Nations" of Genesis 10, Ham's progeny are given more space than any of the other sons of Noah. Of Ham's four sons, Mizraim went to Egypt, Cush to Ethiopia, Phut to Libya, and Canaan to Palestine. Whatever the origin of the racial differences of mankind, Bradford argues for their common origin, and common access to Yahweh's covenant, Genesis 9:8-19. The Sabbath is the great common denominator of that covenant. No one is excluded.

The so-called "curse of Ham" of Genesis 9:20-27 was not on Ham, but Canaan. The startling occurrence of Hebrew words in West African languages, especially in Yoruba, is evidence that covenant people descended from Ham have long permeated the African continent. Far from being pariahs from God, the Eternal has a heart for the African people: "Blessed be Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel Mine inheritance," Isaiah 19:25.

Sabbath Roots -- The African Connection

Someone asked about other parts of the world.

There are a few things wrong with that article..

Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post

Ding ding ding. No, it doesn't. Thank you.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:53 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It was/is written as Yeshua in Hebrew...
Where? THe NT was written in Greek. We have no existing manuscripts to suggest that any of the NT was originally written in Hebrew.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Where? THe NT was written in Greek. We have no existing manuscripts to suggest that any of the NT was originally written in Hebrew.

Yes we do...Check out Polycarp or Papias...What is you name?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity