Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,822,405 times

Advertisements

....it's own members.
To a certain extent, I'm not surprised at the anti-Catholicism that exists in some Protestant circles. For example, when you read or hear about someone who claims to be a Catholic voting for something that is not only anti-Catholic, but anti-Christian (abortion rights or "marriage equality") and suffering no reprisals, it is easy to become angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM

400 posts, read 602,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
....it's own members.
To a certain extent, I'm not surprised at the anti-Catholicism that exists in some Protestant circles. For example, when you read or hear about someone who claims to be a Catholic voting for something that is not only anti-Catholic, but anti-Christian (abortion rights or "marriage equality") and suffering no reprisals, it is easy to become angry.
Pope Francis is not without his enemies as was Pope Benedict.

Pope Francis is unsettling

The Church's Worst Enemies

Catholics – Are We Our Own Worst Enemies? | Father Joe

Deborah Gyapong: The pope's worst enemies are Catholics--Holy Smoke

It will be interesting to see once all the hype where's off, what change will actually happen.

As Jerry Lee Lewis sang, there's a "Whole lotta shakin' goin' on."

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Pope Francis is not without his enemies as was Pope Benedict.

Pope Francis is unsettling

The Church's Worst Enemies

Catholics – Are We Our Own Worst Enemies? | Father Joe

Deborah Gyapong: The pope's worst enemies are Catholics--Holy Smoke

It will be interesting to see once all the hype where's off, what change will actually happen.

As Jerry Lee Lewis sang, there's a "Whole lotta shakin' goin' on."
He disappoints the old traditional Catholics that still want the mass in Latin.

As if there was not enough ancient tradition in the Church.

Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,931 times
All religious organizations are having to face up to the holes in their theologies and doctrines.

For example, Christians had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the circle of the light, recognizing that the earth was round, it was not the center of the universe, or even of the solar system, and that there are many things that are a part of nature that are not mentioned in the bible at all.

Almost the last fight some of the more extreme folks is the age of the earth. Despite all evidence to the contrary, they still insist the earth is no more than 10,000 years old, not the 4.5 billion that science has determined, not to mention the 13.5 billion year age of the universe as we see it so far.

As a devout former Catholic I have come to appreciate the Catholic Church for what is is and has accomplished over time. Lists of sins, lists of virtues, wonderful, even poetic, liturgies, and the terrifying descriptions of hell fire and damnation

But as I have grown, I have come to believe that it is far past time for the Catholic Church and all religions to start from scratch, and derive more truthful theologies based upon the words of Jesus.

Pope Francis apparently agrees with me in this respect: it is far past time to consider that non believes who are good people can attain salvation. Call it the converse of the "faith alone" argument. Why can it not be that good works alone are sufficient? Sure seems to me that's what Jesus was saying in Matthew 25 FF

JMHO

Old 11-08-2013, 12:43 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
The Catholic Churches worst enemies are its administration.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:30 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
It is ALL about doctrine, theologly, and the willingness (or unwillingness) to grow in understanding.

Sooner or later, we have all grown beyond Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and whatever other childhood myths we once believed.

What remains are the actual teachings of Jesus, not the many centuries of complications introduced over those same centuries.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,784,011 times
To quote my kids generation...Haters gonna hate

I just pay them no mind

Old 12-02-2013, 01:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
For example, when you read or hear about someone who claims to be a Catholic voting for something that is not only anti-Catholic, but anti-Christian (abortion rights or "marriage equality") and suffering no reprisals, it is easy to become angry.
You forgot the "if you're a conservative yourself" part. I highly doubt Nancy Pelosi's supporters, or liberals in general, are angry because of her beliefs.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-02-2013 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-02-2013, 02:40 PM

400 posts, read 602,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You forgot the "if you're a conservative yourself" part. I highly doubt Nancy Pelosi's supporters, or liberals in general, are angry because of her beliefs.
You raise a point of serious concern within the church. The polarization between traditional conservative Catholics and liberals continues to intensify. The middle may not be able to hold it together.
The coming American schism | National Catholic Reporter
The Failure of Liberal Catholicism | Catholic World Report - Global Church news and views
The Failure of Liberal Catholicism | Catholic World Report - Global Church news and views

Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,464,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Does anyone have a clue who the best enemies are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity