Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christians still be keeping the Sabbath?
YES 4 28.57%
NO 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,166,771 times

Advertisements

Jim Staley - "And He Rested" - Should Christians Keep the Sabbath? - YouTube

If you have some time, take a look at this video, I want to hear folks opinions on his view in regards as to why he thinks Christians should be keeping the biblical Sabbath.

Now while I go to church on Sunday, when people like this give "their" opinion and claim it is the way Christians should be doing it in regards to the Sabbath, i always hear:

-This is what they probably meant as in the translators of the bible
-The Bible was misinterpreted by the Greek scholars, yet they someone got in right 1500 yrs later for their video
-This is what I think it means
-It probably means XYZ, usually to their point of view
-Or if you are not viewing scriptures from a middle eastern/50AD point of view you will get it wrong

A good example is that Adam and Noah kept the Sabbath even though it is no where documented in scriptures, but many like Jim Staley assume by going by Gen 2:3.

***This is NOT you must observe the Sabbath thread, just looking for thoughts on the video whether its making valid points, or just pushing the Hebraic Roots view of scriptures agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 03:08 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,549,847 times
The principle for bodily rest has always been true but not a specific day as was commanded to a theocratic nation as the Jews were for unity sake. Even for them it was not a day to keep for God's sake but for the peoples well being sake as Jesus explained.

We have no specific day to keep in the New Testament era. Rest for the Gentles and the Jews today is relative to a persons need and often times driven by a work schedule. Therefor do not judge what day or if any a person keeps as Sabbath because some rest but do not call it Sabbath at all but simply a day of rest. They are not burdened with religious terminology and knowledge that was for the Jews only but they are given rest by God whether they know it or not. God is more interested in helping then He is in being thanked or praised.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,622,474 times
Christ, while observing the Sabbath, set himself in word and act against this absurd rigorism which made man a slave of the day. He reproved the scribes and Pharisees for putting an intolerable burden on men's shoulders (Matthew 23:4), and proclaimed the principle that "the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" (Mark 2:27). He cured on the Sabbath, and defended His disciples for plucking ears of corn on that day. In His arguments with the Pharisees on this account He showed that the Sabbath is not broken in cases of necessity or by acts of charity (Matthew 12:3 sqq.; Mark 2:25 sqq.; Luke 6:3 sqq.; 14:5). St. Paul enumerates the Sabbath among the Jewish observances which are not obligatory on Christians (Colossians 2:16; Galatians 4:9-10; Romans 14:5). The gentile converts held their religious meetings on Sunday (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2) and with the disappearance of the Jewish Christian churches this day was exclusively observed as the Lord's Day. (See SUNDAY.)
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Sabbath

Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM

9,700 posts, read 10,067,141 times
If some Christians want to keep the Sabbath on Saturday , than more power to them , If they want to have their Sabbath on Sunday than they should do that , see there is nobody business what they do , as Long as they have a time set apart to make a time Holy before the Lord , as legalism of the Word of God is rejected by God , where faith is preferred ...... See the sin of rejecting any Sabbath is that believer could ignore the Lord and devotion to God could wane , which God does not like , Like how would you like it if your spouse ignored you and the devotion became weak

Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
If some Christians want to keep the Sabbath on Saturday , than more power to them , If they want to have their Sabbath on Sunday than they should do that , see there is nobody business what they do , as Long as they have a time set apart to make a time Holy before the Lord , as legalism of the Word of God is rejected by God , where faith is preferred ...... See the sin of rejecting any Sabbath is that believer could ignore the Lord and devotion to God could wane , which God does not like , Like how would you like it if your spouse ignored you and the devotion became weak
Thats one of the main things in the video is that Christians are wrong about saying it doesnt matter what day we choose and that is must be Saturday according to scripture.

I personally dont think God is this much of a tyrant about Sat vs Sun worship.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:09 AM

525 posts, read 349,912 times
Deleted.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:49 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,968,884 times
For Christians the day to enter into His rest if they have not done so is "today." Doesn't anyone read Hebrews?

Old 02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

758 posts, read 854,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Thats one of the main things in the video is that Christians are wrong about saying it doesnt matter what day we choose and that is must be Saturday according to scripture.

I personally dont think God is this much of a tyrant about Sat vs Sun worship.
Isn't one of the commandments: Remember? "the Sabbath" - Keep it Holy.

Remember to remember!! For it is written Peter said: Be ye Holy; for I am Holy

The life style expected of us is called "holy living". ... The hope is available, but not everyone has taken hold of it.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:26 PM

24,152 posts, read 32,649,301 times
Sunday is the Lord's Day. Not the Sabbath. It's when I attend church.

In general, I relax more on the Lord's Day than on other days. Sometimes I relax by gardening, crafting, or going to the gym.

Those might be seen as "work" by some, but they are pleasurable to me.
I'm just not legalistic about...anything.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkutuq View Post
Isn't one of the commandments: Remember? "the Sabbath" - Keep it Holy.

Remember to remember!! For it is written Peter said: Be ye Holy; for I am Holy

The life style expected of us is called "holy living". ... The hope is available, but not everyone has taken hold of it.
Say some Christians on here did just say one day, lets try to keep the Sabbath, what next would they do?

-Would they have to leave their church because everyone in there worships on Sunday and doesnt rest on Saturday?

-What church would they even go to considering 95% of Christian churches meet on Sunday outside of SDA, Saturday Baptist, and Jewish/Hebrew Roots Movements?

-Would they have to now start worshiping on Saturday instead?

-They would no longer be able to make purchases on Saturday, including not going out to eat?

-Would they not be able to watch TV, play games, go on the internet, watch sports, so they can turn away from their own pleasure (Isaiah 58:13)?

Isnt this the goal when we say Christians need to keep the Sabbath, as I listed everything the bible listed to keep the Sabbath holy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity