Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times

Advertisements

Hello all. After reading much debate about the 10 commandments, and whether we are still bound under all of them, I have a question.

I think most people adhere to 9 of the commandments, but not the one about the Sabbath.

If you are a Christian, and believe we are to keep the Sabbath holy, could you please tell me how we are to do so? What exactly are we to do?

There's a great guy on here who is Jewish who answered many questions. He explained what they do on the Sabbath (very interesting!). I know Christians wouldn't go to the extremes (no offense by that word, my Jewish friends!), so I am interested in knowing what Christians should do.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
I believe 'we are to keep the Sabbath holy' as you say, by acknowledging that He is Holy!

"There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.” (Heb 4)

Rest...the works of the flesh - meaning those things that we rely on for that feeling that God would receive us, in spite of the fact that Christ has done all to present us to the Father blameless. Those who did not enter into His rest did so because of unbelief - unbelief in the finished work at Calvary.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I believe 'we are to keep the Sabbath holy' as you say, by acknowledging that He is Holy!

"There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.” (Heb 4)

Rest...the works of the flesh - meaning those things that we rely on for that feeling that God would receive us, in spite of the fact that Christ has done all to present us to the Father blameless. Those who did not enter into His rest did so because of unbelief - unbelief in the finished work at Calvary.
Amen! Great post!

I really don't know how Messianics, SDAs, etc celebrate the Sabbath. That'd be interesting to hear.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

So acknowledging that God is holy, and a spiritual rest is what you believe it means? Spiritual, meaning we don't have to physically rest on the Sabbath, right?

Old 03-19-2012, 02:30 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
So acknowledging that God is holy, and a spiritual rest is what you believe it means? Spiritual, meaning we don't have to physically rest on the Sabbath, right?
Can you rejoice in the Lord while you mow the yard?

I can.

God is spirit, man is His spiritial offspring, and yet we refuse to look at His word in a spiritual light.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I can.

God is spirit, man is His spiritial offspring, and yet we refuse to look at His word in a spiritual light.
Thank you little elmer.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:36 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times
Quote:

I can.

Here's a good article on the Sabbath.
Should Christians Keep the Sabbath? : ChristianCourier.com

Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
In Mark 2: 27....Jesus said about the sabbath...``The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath... There for the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath``....See a man works 12 hour days, and seven days a week, and has not time to go to church or pray or ask the Lord for less time to work , will brake this commandment , and the curse of a liberal spirit will have authority in the man who does not take authority over His life as he works these long hours with no time for the Lord and His relations with Him...... It does not matter if a person has his sabbath on Saturday or Sunday, or even Wednesday..... as long as the person takes a day off and has faith in His covenant with the Lord Jesus , but if a person is forced to work long hours , then they need to pray for shorter hours , even if Jesus has to give you a helper on the job or slow the business down , Jesus has a plan that will work every time .......

Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post

Here's a good article on the Sabbath.
Should Christians Keep the Sabbath? : ChristianCourier.com
That's a great article. Those things were what was always taught in the church to which I used to belong. Makes sense to me.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
In Mark 2: 27....Jesus said about the sabbath...``The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath... There for the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath``....See a man works 12 hour days, and seven days a week, and has not time to go to church or pray or ask the Lord for less time to work , will brake this commandment , and the curse of a liberal spirit will have authority in the man who does not take authority over His life as he works these long hours with no time for the Lord and His relations with Him...... It does not matter if a person has his sabbath on Saturday or Sunday, or even Wednesday..... as long as the person takes a day off and has faith in His covenant with the Lord Jesus , but if a person is forced to work long hours , then they need to pray for shorter hours , even if Jesus has to give you a helper on the job or slow the business down , Jesus has a plan that will work every time .......
That makes sense. So basically, make sure you have time to give to the Lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity